• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both things can be true. Perhaps it is a success in terms of conservation, but that doesn't mean LP should not be compensating the villages more. I doubt the workers would be comforted being told, "well yes you're paid next to nothing, but we saved the Alpacas!"

It would be interesting to see the total compensation details, as you mentioned.

well the worker being interviewed explains that she volunteered . they did pay her nothing and she does talk about her connection to the animal . so ... that does seem to be the deal ?

fwiw i've done volunteer ecological work and I don't think i've ever once wondered what the sponsoring agency is getting paid .

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but then completely elides questions about the structure of equity within the village . per the article LP pays the villages .
Yeah, I was a bit confused reading through why the community expects their members to work for free, and the article does a disservice to itself by not delving into it.

My best guess is that it is basically a form of taxes imposed via labor, but if you’re going to start your article about a women expected to work for free, you really have to explain why.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
i feel like it was a miss for Mr.P to not have a physical location in NYC or LA. I assume those would be the two top markets in the USA.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really really hard to compete with entities that have never been profitable, will never be profitable and have never had an interest in acting in an economically rational manner. It's like trying to have a serious conversation with Gary Busey.

brokencycle

Reaction score
It's really really hard to compete with entities that have never been profitable, will never be profitable and have never had an interest in acting in an economically rational manner. It's like trying to have a serious conversation with Gary Busey.
Sounds like the business equivalent of Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

illiterate

Reaction score
SSENSE always has these 15-20% sale on new season items but it could be a sign of bad things to come. People have been predicting their downfall for a few years now and it only got worse after that shitshow a year or two ago when fulfillment for items took over a month.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I very much agree with you.
It sounds like some of these irrational businesses are finally running out of irrational steam.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this already posted here? Not that new but still a good piece

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads