• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live with Paul Kelly of S.E.H. Kelly on Friday, April 10, 7:00 a.m. PDT

Wake up tomorrow and tune in as Peter talks to Paul Kelly of S.E.H Kelly, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 7:00 a.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, that’s sad. I have been wearing Baldwin (guess its BLDWN) Henley for the last couple of days. Thing has held up remarkably well. Purchased at Carson Street Clothiers (also RIP).

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a couple of emails today from stores that have not only closed all their B&M locations, but now also warehouse operations, which means no online orders. Stores include Ralph Lauren and Paul Smith. So literally zero sales. Oof.
Frankly it's kind of insane that, say, Amazon still has their warehouses operating. How many people work in one of those warehouses? How crammed together are they? Combine that with high stress (= weakened immune system) and those just seem like virus producing factories.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Frankly it's kind of insane that, say, Amazon still has their warehouses operating. How many people work in one of those warehouses? How crammed together are they? Combine that with high stress (= weakened immune system) and those just seem like virus producing factories.
Multiple cases already reported.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Amazon is going to keep on until the bitter fucking end. They'll have ventilators in the break rooms before any politicians force them to close.

I like to think that, after this, our country might question the wisdom of giving over so much of our retailing to the world's richest man or handing over all of nearly our medication and medical supply production to China.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazon is going to keep on until the bitter fucking end. They'll have ventilators in the break rooms before any politicians force them to close.

I like to think that, after this, our country might question the wisdom of giving over so much of our retailing to the world's richest man or handing over all of nearly our medication and medical supply production to China.
Don't forget how much of a monopoly they have over cloud services. Antitrust isn't really a thing in the US anymore, it seems like, though.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would it be so bad to have fully automated warehouses?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be so bad to have fully automated warehouses?
In itself, no, but American society is not structured in a way that it can support an automated workforce. Doubt there's any way we can stop it from happening, though. However, we're getting dangerously close to a political conversation here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Less of those pesky employees asking for pay and benefits and getting sick and all. Makes sense!
Where's the value add in human warehouse fulfillment?

And yes, they're running partial automation now and the way they've optimized storage/packing routes is impressive.

cb200

Reaction score
Where's the value add in human warehouse fulfillment?
Dealing with variance and flexibility in tasks. Ability to work at a small scale and scale up demand to fit the needs for small and medium sized business who won't be affording robotics and may not depend on 3PL.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every large fulfillment center is doing partial automation look Amazon here and Alibaba in China...,

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think businesses like Amazon, UPS, and others that rely on untrained labor would fully-automate in a heartbeat If the tech were there.

sushijerk

Reaction score
To be fair, the politicians know most American now depend on it for most daily necessities. America never gave itself the infrastructure for the government to provide and deliver goods in nearly an efficient manner as Amazon. There is probably an untold amount of value for soothing the American public that they can still get 90% of what they want in a couple of days. If amazon goes it will be like having water or electric turned off.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.