• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Swaine Adeney Brigg cases

ezreb

Reaction score
Yes, my guess is some kind of petroleum or urethane coating is on the leather. Which is, needless to say, not what I expected, and I'm guessing it's not indicative of the highest quality.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, my guess is some kind of petroleum or urethane coating is on the leather. Which is, needless to say, not what I expected, and I'm guessing it's not indicative of the highest quality. 

Certainly not in the spec for Bridle Leather anyway..

Charlie

ezreb

Reaction score
Yep, it's some kind of polyurethane or something. I tested the luggage tag; acetone causes the orangey finish to go gummy and then peel off. I restored an old document case earlier this year that someone had painted with poly sealant; it had the same effect. What the eff?

Last edited:

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was this purchased from SAB directly? or through a retailer? or third party?

ezreb

Reaction score
It was purchased through a bricks-and-mortar retailer who is the authorized representative of SAB. There's no question, I don't think, of me being sold a counterfeit. Both the retailer and SAB stand by the quality of the product, I am told.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was purchased through a bricks-and-mortar retailer who is the authorized representative of SAB. There's no question, I don't think, of me being sold a counterfeit. Both the retailer and SAB stand by the quality of the product, I am told. 

Just give it some time before applying feed. The leather may still have some waterproofers on. SAB will out last you .
My SAB seemed a bit waxy on arrival. 3 years on this is how it looks. Unless you trash your case on rains or live somewhere where weather is rubbish, then use leather feed once every 6 months.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Just give it some time before applying feed. The leather may still have some waterproofers on. SAB will out last you .
My SAB seemed a bit waxy on arrival. 3 years on this is how it looks. Unless you trash your case on rains or live somewhere where weather is rubbish, then use leather feed once every 6 months.

The waterproofer in bridle leather is the wax its stuffed with though. Acetone will lift the colour on bridle for sure, its veg tan, but there shouldnt be a top coat of plastic. Given we cant see and touch the leather its pretty hard to say whats going on for sure though..

letsi

Reaction score

Hi, thank you very much for your attention. The feed I used was the stuff that came with the bag, which was in an unbranded tub, but it smells and appears exactly like the Sedgwick stuff I've bought from your excellent company. The leather will not take in the feed at all, nor renovateur, nor saddle soap. When left for an hour or two it has no effect of any kind. Longer, and it has an unhappy effect, as you see. I don't expect two products to be exactly alike, particularly real leather, which is going to differ a bit from skin to skin. However the stuff this case is made of does not feel or look at all similar to the leather on my other items when they were new-- it's smooth, alright, but you wouldn't call it waxy or dense. It's kind of pliant and yielding, like an unopened package of baloney. I only have my cameraphone this weekend and was not very successful in taking pictures that caught the texture of the leather, but maybe these will assist. Probably the best depiction of the texture and colour of the leather is the photo of the luggage tag. I am sorry for the lousy quality of these photos. Note the pitting and fading of the colour at the hinge--that's maybe 5 days of medium-light use. The tags are the one from my topframe SAB/Peal bag, which is two years old, and this new one, displaying the puckering and wrinkling I noticed after I applied the feed, side by side. I include the pictures of the seam (which was glued down) as it looked to me like the colour was PAINTED on, where you can observe the line--they tell me it is skived down there to allow for a closer join, which also feels to me like a package of baloney. I include the label/certificate shots just in case anyone suspects I'm trolling.
It looked like acid got to your bag instead of leather feed when I look at the 1st, 2nd, and 5th pics If I didn't know better.. Any chance of you going back to the retailer that sold you this dud? I would be enraged if this happens to mine.

montyharding

Reaction score
Asked this question before in a separate thread a while back, got no reply:

Is there a matching (Tan), better padded shoulder pad that I could easily pick up somewhere?

ezreb

Reaction score
Some better photos. FYI, this is my third SAB bag, so I have a general idea of what I was expecting. The trouble with the plasticky coating on the leather is, besides being weird, it doesn't take in the leather feed, or saddle soap, or moisture of any kind. It simply beads up and rubs off. Therefore I can't see it darkening from the orangey first-day colour, which is not what you want--I don't want an orange briefcase, nor I think do most people who get these products. Certainly having applied and buffed off leather feed three times and saddle soap twice has had no effect whatever.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some better photos. FYI, this is my third SAB bag, so I have a general idea of what I was expecting. The trouble with the plasticky coating on the leather is, besides being weird, it doesn't take in the leather feed, or saddle soap, or moisture of any kind. It simply beads up and rubs off. Therefore I can't see it darkening from the orangey first-day colour, which is not what you want--I don't want an orange briefcase, nor I think do most people who get these products. Certainly having applied and buffed off leather feed three times and saddle soap twice has had no effect whatever.
There seems to be a lot of wear on that case. I have a 10 year old case from SAB that doesn't look that worn. Did you get this second hand? Maybe the prior owner applied something to the bridle leather to make it water repellant?

ezreb

Reaction score
No, that's the point! I had it made, brand new from the factory. You are looking at the results of one week's light wear. I carried it maybe three days, between the office, the car and court.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads