• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dior Homme suit I purchased on eBay.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
The value of Dior is whatever you make of it.. People shop at Dior because they are very avant-garde and "fashion forward". To some that's a good thing, to others it looks ridiculous.. This particular suit isn't that out of left field, it's just more contemporary.

Last edited:

newyorknoir

Reaction score
What is says, to me it means something that was only worn by a model on a catwalk at a fashion show and is not generally available. Fashion designers often seem to do that. What you see being modelled at their fashion shows, doesn't really look like the garments you can actually buy. A place to showcase their ideas and concepts, ready for the forthcoming seasons.
The thing about being given the suit by a NYC fashion designer and the vendor's use of the word 'runway' in the auction title. I just don't know if that's true or not, AFAIK when you're selling something on Ebay, you have to be honest and truthful. I'm thinking the vendor might have been deceptive and misleading in their action title and description, to try and boost the price. There's no doubt that the suit is genuine Dior though, I think we've established that.
I'm just seeing it as it is, a nine year old second hand Dior suit, that appears to be in good condition for it's age. IMO $800 is too much money to be paying for this, I've seen various used Dior Homme garments in charity shops in the UK, for only a few pounds, What you call thrift stores in the US.

As far as what the guy said in the ad, that I guess is up for interpretation and I have no problems with that.. Speaking from experience, however, when consulting with a Dior sales associate, or a sales associate at many different designer boutiques, the term "runway piece" is just used to describe something seen on the runway even if it is off-the-rack. Most designers do in fact make standardized sizing for most runway pieces.

For Dior Homme, all of the clothes seen at the runway show (twice a year in Paris) are retailed in all standardized sizes.

Whether this guy meant it as the "runway piece" that I'm speaking of, or the "runway piece" that you interpret it as—literally off the runway, we don't know for sure..

Last edited:

newyorknoir

Reaction score
Also, another tip, the designers choose every model they want in their runway show and which models they want for which outfits, and then they tailor the outfits specifically for the model.. If you were to buy a piece that was literally worn on the runway (which I don't think would be available for the public or sold on eBay) then you'd know because the suit wouldn't be a size 46, it would be a size 46 with adjustments. This is one reason why no one really buys stuff literally off the runway—because it has already been tailored to the model's measurements.

and as far as the poster's question—by contemporary I mean in design.

Last edited:

wrongwroks

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding the meaning of the word contemporary. Could you please definite the word for me? Thanks

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

.. As far as getting them straight off the catwalk, MikeDT took it literally and that's not what the guy meant.. The suit wasn't actually worn by a model in the summer '03 runway show,

From the ad

A: The model is 6'2" tall and weighs 165 lbs. His waist is 30" and he typically wears a 46 pant and 48 european tailored jacket.

From that it's clear the seller is implying it was.

Considering the size it seems off to me.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
From the ad
Quote:
From the ad

Quote:
Q: Hey, Was wondering what your height and weight is, as the dior suit seems to fit perfectly

To which he responds as you already quoted.. The man in the pictures is a model being used to display the clothes on eBay, but isn't necessarily the runway model that wore the suit on a catwalk. The model in the pictures on eBay does in fact look like he's 6'2", 165, so that would make sense. Also, the man in the pictures was not in the '03 runway show.

Therefor, I'd assume that he's referring to the model in the pictures and not a runway model, and thus it's not clear as to whether the suit was worn before on the catwalk (though the probability of that seems slim).

To the thread starter:
contemporary fashion is just a little more avant-garde.. The cut and tailoring are different from a classically tailored suit.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

951socal

Reaction score
Thats a hedi slimane era suit, an early one.

reguarded as one of the better dior suits to buy.
looks like you got a deal to me since those tend to go up in value if kept in good condition over the years

you aslo got that in a 36" chest so demand is crazy for that brand in that size.

Dior homme is fused though, i saw a few of the Kris Van assche designed ones at saks 5th avenue, and they weren't as nice as the zegna or loro piana fabric saks brand suits but they were cut for a younger guy, and a little more fashion forward as far as details went (slimmer lapel, shorter jacket, side vents closer together etc)

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

What is says, to me it means something that was only worn by a model on a catwalk at a fashion show and is not generally available. Fashion designers often seem to do that. What you see being modelled at their fashion shows, doesn't really look like the garments you can actually buy. A place to showcase their ideas and concepts, ready for the forthcoming seasons.
The thing about being given the suit by a NYC fashion designer and the vendor's use of the word 'runway' in the auction title. I just don't know if that's true or not, AFAIK when you're selling something on Ebay, you have to be honest and truthful. I'm thinking the vendor might have been deceptive and misleading in their action title and description, to try and boost the price. There's no doubt that the suit is genuine Dior though, I think we've established that.
I'm just seeing it as it is, a nine year old second hand Dior suit, that appears to be in good condition for it's age. IMO $800 is too much money to be paying for this, I've seen various used Dior Homme garments in charity shops in the UK, for only a few pounds, What you call thrift stores in the US.

1) A runway item is an item that was part of a runway presentation. It doesn't mean it is the actual item used on the runway but the same model/colour/etc
2) A sample is the specific item that was used in the show/showroom.
3) What you see in thrift shops is cheap, licensed dior or old, crappy dior before "Dior Homme" by Slimane. It has pretty much no value hence the low price.
4) Dior Homme items maintain their value well and have sort of a cult status among niche collectors who scour ebay and elsewhere for Slimane-era DH items. $800, providing the suit is in good condition, is a relatively good price.
5) You don't know **** about fashion so it is a given you won't understand specific references and word-usage. Please stop offering your uninformed opinion in "specialized" threads, you are poluting threads where thousands of people seek information. There are plenty of other areas of the forum where your contribution might be warranted.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Also, another tip, the designers choose every model they want in their runway show and which models they want for which outfits, and then they tailor the outfits specifically for the model.. If you were to buy a piece that was literally worn on the runway (which I don't think would be available for the public or sold on eBay) then you'd know because the suit wouldn't be a size 46, it would be a size 46 with adjustments (tailoring perhaps in the arms, waist, etc.). This is one reason why no one really buys stuff literally off the runway—because it has already been tailored, and to the model's measurements.

and as far as the poster's question—by contemporary I mean in design and tailoring.

This isn't quite true.

Samples (what you see in runway shows and then in the showroom where store buyers make their orders) are usually made before models are chosen for a specific outfit and for the show in general (they haven't done castings yet). Some minor adjustments or pinning might be made but this isn't even a given, in fact models often squeeze in highly uncomfortable outfits (say shoes two size too small). After editors and buyers have visited the showroom the fashion brand decides on what will be produced and of any change in production necessary (colours, materials, cust cutting cause price too high, buyer requests, etc). Samples might be more shoddily constructed or, often, have nicer materials then the production models (they are often made in-house or by a diff factory than the RTW pieces available in stores), it really varies. What is very often true is that they are bolder in cut (fine for a model but not a typical rtw buyer), DH sample suits usually being, for example, slimmer in the arms. BTW fashion brands rarely produce everything and that is true for every brand. Sometimes they try to have a wider selection in their flagship than in regular stores that aren't brand stores if no store buyer has ordered a piece and they feel it should be seen by the public.

HughJ

Reaction score
As to the value of the suit, it is obviously subjective. You could rest assured that it was well made, anyway. My question is do you guys really find it contemporary? Obviously the impact of Slimane's work with Dior is still felt by the masses on lapel widths (for better or worse), but I can't help looking at this particular suit and thinking "contemporary......for 2005".

wrongwroks

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As to the value of the suit, it is obviously subjective. You could rest assured that it was well made, anyway. My question is do you guys really find it contemporary? Obviously the impact of Slimane's work with Dior is still felt by the masses on lapel widths (for better or worse), but I can't help looking at this particular suit and thinking "contemporary......for 2005".

what do you mean by contemporary for 2005?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads