• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner at Per Se - Suit or Blazer?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why not just invade the kitchen entirely?
Do they staple the bill to it? My Chinese take-out place does that.
- B

You still pay after each meal? I am billed monthly.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A chef/friend of mine has twice taken the opportunity to cook in the kitchen at Taillevent for 30 days each trip, over the last 2 summers. He is no slouch in the kitchen and knows restauarnt life pretty well. He says the kitchen at Taillevent is notches above anything he has seen. When you order frog legs, they are fresh. Frogs are raised in the basement of the restauarant.
The obsessive prep of vegetables and fish. He said their kitchen techniques were amazing and beyond anything he had experienced. If you wonder if he has any cred, he cooks a bunch at the White House (Interesting stories from there as well) and has an extensive, impressive resume.

Best meal for me on my one trip to Paris was A'telier de Joel Robuchon but eating at Pierre Gagnaire was equally good. The clientele at Robuchon was a mix of foodies and tourists making the trek to mecca. Clientele at Gagnaire were more locals eating there for the food. I favor and am more comfortable with the latter. The food and "counter service" at Robuchen are an odd mix to me, not awful, just odd.

Oh Vox, I think I had quail eggs.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you're thinking about was only of interest to a subset, particularly the NYC-centered subset. And my grandparents did date back to the Edwardian era, but as children. - B
The great dandy, Evander Berry Wall goes into aching detail over all the top/chic restaurants he used to frequent when he was in New York during the Edwardian era in his autobiography, Neither Pest nor Puritan.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
You still pay after each meal? I am billed monthly.

My monthly quantity of Chinese takout is probably not in your league. There are the greats; then there are the also-rans.

A chef/friend of mine has twice taken the opportunity to cook in the kitchen at Taillevent for 30 days each trip, over the last 2 summers. He is no slouch in the kitchen and knows restauarnt life pretty well. He says the kitchen at Taillevent is notches above anything he has seen. When you order frog legs, they are fresh. Frogs are raised in the basement of the restauarant. The obsessive prep of vegetables and fish. He said their kitchen techniques were amazing and beyond anything he had experienced. If you wonder if he has any cred, he cooks a bunch at the White House (Interesting stories from there as well) and has an extensive, impressive resume.

They are a restaurant that is challenged by the contemporary emphasis on innovation in cooking. All I can say is that I've had great meals there, but I go wanting to eat the basics and drink good wine. It does not surprise me that your friend found the kitchen at Taillevent uncompromising.

Best meal for me on my one trip to Paris was A’telier de Joel Robuchon but eating at Pierre Gagnaire was equally good. The clientele at Robuchon was a mix of foodies and tourists making the trek to mecca. Clientele at Gagnaire were more locals eating there for the food. I favor and am more comfortable with the latter. The food and “counter service” at Robuchen are an odd mix to me, not awful, just odd.

Oh Vox, I think I had quail eggs.

The best meals that I had on our most recent trip were the two that we had at L'Astrance, followed closely by dinner at the Meurice with the relatively new chef there. Fabulous.

Robuchon was also very satisfying, as well as Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain where we ate pretty much all the time except for the preceding places.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
The great dandy, Evander Berry Wall goes into aching detail over all the top/chic restaurants he used to frequent when he was in New York during the Edwardian era in his autobiography, Neither Pest nor Puritan.

Wasn't he in Paris during the Edwardian era? If I recall, he lived in the same hotel as the Aga Khan. A fascinating person.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My monthly quantity of Chinese takout is probably not in your league. There are the greats; then there are the also-rans
- B

Cannot remember the last time I had Chinese food. I frequent Korean,Thai and Japanese, in that order.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cannot remember the last time I had Chinese food. I frequent Korean,Thai and Japanese, in that order.

Yum, yum, yum...in the end, though, it's China and France, then everyone else.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

- B

At least somebody agrees with me. Those two cuisines stand head and shoulders above everything else.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had trouble finding good Chinese in Chicago. Have you tried Phoenix in Chinatown for dim sum? It was decent--though not on par with what I've had in Flushing or the DC metro area.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't he in Paris during the Edwardian era? If I recall, he lived in the same hotel as the Aga Khan. A fascinating person. - B
He moved to Paris at the end of the Edwardian era, I recall. He said New York was only fit for businessmen. His hotel of choice was the Hotel Meurice and he and his chow-chow were outfitted at Charvet.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
At least somebody agrees with me. Those two cuisines stand head and shoulders above everything else.

We make big walls, Oxxford-quality suits for a quarter of the price, the world's entire supply of toys and elextronics, and fantastic food. All while wearing what the barbarians consider to be cartoonishly thick-rimmed eyeglasses. Ha.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I had trouble finding good Chinese in Chicago. Have you tried Phoenix in Chinatown for dim sum? It was decent--though not on par with what I've had in Flushing or the DC metro area.

You had trouble finding good food, or you had trouble finding good food in a restaurant you were comfortable eating at?

Because I've ventured down to C-town a couple times and that's where I have had some of the best meals since moving here. But I wouldn't exactly say I was comfortable at the restaurant. Nawwwmean?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
He moved to Paris at the end of the Edwardian era, I recall. He said New York was only fit for businessmen.

His hotel of choice was the Hotel Meurice and he and his chow-chow were outfitted at Charvet.

Here's an article from TIME in 1940 shortly after his death about Berry Wall for those of who do not want to slog through his autobiography.

- B

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Phoenix (upstairs) is good for dim sum. Three Happiness is okay...

Where do you recommend in DC? My friends always go somewhere in Maryland--not sure where. Also-- in your opinion, where is the best place to get dim sum in nyc, preferably Manhattan. I have a few favorites but would like to know your input.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ We just had this discussion in (now two) threads. Chinese in Chi-town is emphatically... mediocre.

Favorite book on food is Liebling's "Between Meals". Where the "Between" came from, I'm not sure.

Matt and Vox, I have had trouble finding my way through the fog in Chinese cuisine. The cuisine is so different from ours that it's hard to guess what to have, and servers tend to give terrible recommendations because they either try to pander to Western tastes or just don't speak English. Suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads