• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you marry into money?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might lose some sleep from looking at that picture though...yeeeeesh.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not married but I suspect my girlfriend's family has money. They just hide it well.
Originally Posted by denning
Turns out you're absolutely right. Daryl Katz's wife is not asian. This is her.
That's not her. She's second from the left:
Red%20Carpet%20Diaries%20early11.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If there is any real justice in the world, I will marry into money. But there isn't. So I probably won't.

ed1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
The story was told to me several years ago by Daryl's cousin, so being three years ago and being hearsay from his cousin I suppose I can't vouch for it's veracity, nevertheless, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

But... but... Katz only bought the oilers only TWO years ago
bounce2.gif

Heh just breaking your balls pal, good story. If it's true, good luck to him, I hope his father in law is proud.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in this particular catagory, I really got the worst possible situation (althought that doenst take away from how much I love my wife and am happy, mind you). my wife's family had money for one generation, then lost it. so, they aren't poor, and understand money. they aren't old money, and understand money. they were new rich, so they didn't get an apreciation for money, or figure out how to take care of money, on the other hand they don't have any.

also, they really looked at me like I was trying to marry into money - they had forgotten that there was none left. my wife's father essentially married my mother in law for money, and the assumption was, for the first few years that everyone knew me, that I was trying to do the same.

my wife's grandfather had offered to pay for part of the wedding, and so we went for things that I couldn't afford and wouldn't have done. but he didn't want to pay for anything until after the wedding, so I ended up having to write checks for everything.

the one material benifit is that my wife's family has some very nice art, and one day some of that might find its way to us.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ not if your mother in law unsheathes her claws
smile.gif
anyway, my wife's and my family are probably within close range money-wise. it wasn't deliberate at all, but I always figured since I don't need or want to marry into money (and I'm totally not dissing those who do, okay) BUT on the other hand I didn't want to marry someone whose family might one day ask for dole outs, jobs, favors, rent money, etc.. which is a natural occurrence in this country then I felt comfortable at where we were at money-wise at that time.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
BUT on the other hand I didn't want to marry someone whose family might one day ask for dole outs, jobs, favors, rent money, etc..

This sounds an awful lot like my sister's husband and his family. Bunch of deadbeats.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
While my wife's family is middle class I think she married down.
frown.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Who cares about money? Power is where it's at. I'm gonna marry Chelsea Clinton.

Oh god...

Usul

Reaction score

I would also like to do this, would you like to form a cooperative with me to accomplish this?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember when the Clintons were just moving into the White House and I thought, "Who's this Chelsea girl? What a dog!" (she's about a year younger than me) These days... I think she's absolutely gorgeous! And I don't think it's just the money or powerful parents because when I went to my 10 year reunion a few years ago, I saw the same thing happen to some of the girls in my class who you would not have expected it from.

Back to the topic at hand...

I married into old money. My wife's mom's family has ties to the Heinz family (nowhere near on the level of Teresa Heinz though of course) and they seem to have invested well since her great-grandfather (or whoever it was) was there about 100 years ago. My father-in-law's father started a successful regional heating and cooling company and when the he died, all the grandchildren were given large trusts. My wife's father worked in public accounting and then as an executive at a large chemical firm and has (to me anyway) quite a bit of money.

Even though she was an only child and came from a family with a of money my wife doesn't behave like some entitled queen. She went to college and got great grades and has a great job (much better paying than mine, but we work in vastly different fields). She is pregnant with our first child right now and we are planning for her to stop working altogether for a few years, but I have a feeling (and most of the folks who know my wife agree) that she will end up going back to work sooner than we are planning because she will miss it too much.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell me more about your mother-in-law.
She doesn't happen to own a liquor store, does she?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Tell me more about your mother-in-law.
She doesn't happen to own a liquor store, does she?

lol No no.

I don't think I've ever even seen her take a drink. If there were a modern day temperance movement, she'd probably be a part of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads