• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately seeking warm overcoat

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This auction ends soon (I hope I didn't just ruin it for myself), so I don't have time to ask the seller a question. Turning here for help. Is this coat likely a vintage piece, or is it something that won't smell of formaldyhyde? Also, just by looking at the picture, is your sense that this will be a fairly warm overcoat? That is, something that would get me through a sleet-filled day in Boston or NYC? Would it go well with grey/charcoal/and maybe even navy trousers/suits? I very much need a second overcoat -- I only have a black one -- as on really cold days my car coats just don't cut it. And, since I'm originally from a warm climate (and hope to be back in one sometime soon), I have a natural inhibitation to spending a lot on heavy outerwear. Auction

fkl118

Reaction score
It's hard to say; they sure didn't give much info. I wouldn't buy it without more info and pictures. I think you'd be better off going to a local thrift store.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To quote a member of SF, "looks like farmer."  In my opinion, the rough tweed of that coat would look incongruous with a well-tailored suit.  I think you are better off with a navy or charcoal overcoat.  Also, I would hesitate to buy anything off of eBay without very detailed measurements.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I agree, you could surely do better locally. Did you happen to notice that the belt is missing? I suppose the loops could be removed fairly easily, but the result could be a bell-shaped silhouette. Since you ask, I'd say 'pass.'

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's rather dull, and agree with those above who say you can do better stylewise, and probably price-wise too at a thrift store.

I encourage you to pass.
I think the lapels and gorge to be slightly off.

But I like the idea and I like the tweed and the detail on the cuffs and I like the slash pockets.

It's nice to have a jacket like this. It's a sort of week-end or up to the country coat.

What's the tradition on tweed coats like this one in town?

$25's not too bad. I don't know, I have too many damn jackets though.

For me, I love the deal of a thrift store, but it's taking the time, lately, to browse that has gotten me interested in EBay.

For me, it's _almost_ worth it to just to buy off ebay rather than hassle.

On the otherhand, you're then stuck with something that you don't want. And the prospect of "flipping" it, as I believe some of you have called it, isn't one that I am keen on. It takes too much time.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filene's Basement should have something that fits the bill. Â I regularly see nice, standard overcoats selling for $200 and less at the DC branches. Â That shouldn't be too much to spend if you're wearing the coat over a $1500 custom suit. Â
smile.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention it, because I was actually going to ask you if you've ever been to that place. I'm definitely going to check it out. On another front, a neighbor of mine (who I've sold some Borrelli stuff to) is running a great overcoat on Ebay right now, so I'm going to try on the coat at his house before the auction ends.

acole

Reaction score
From recent experience: If you're considering any natural-fiber coat on eBay that isn't obviously straight from overstock or tag sales, press the seller hard about moth damage before you bid...and expect to be rudely surprised anyway.  

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads