• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

designing home A/V set up, more about music than home theater

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
just ran in to a potential problem... I totally forgot about my cat, of course I never got it declawed, and every now and then it decides to use various household items as a post, even though I bought a scratch post for it.

I am worried about it using the floor speakers/grills as scratch posts, especially with the DEF Tech design (i.e., the full surround sock speaker cover).

Do you think this is a warranted concern? I was actually contemplating cancelling my order in going with some wall mounted speakers like the mythos or some bookshelf style that can be up on stands like the PSB Imagine-B....

You could try mini-monitors on a stand but you will lose some bass. I really like the Usher Audio Tiny Dancers. The Paradigm Signatures are also good. Zu Audio makes some bookshelf speakers that may fit the bill.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update: I tried out the def techs and they just sounded as though they really lacked detail... very bassy, but not really tight, more boomy. THey sounded pretty good watching movies, but with music they kind of reminded me of the car audio system I had in my mitsu eclipse in highschool, consisting of 2 12" subs and stock speakers in the front.... alas I returned them.

I have really narrowed down the search,
B&W, Maggies, and ML's are all out, they are all far too bright for my particular room, which is an all hardwood living room, with 9ft.+ ceilings.. plus they all tend to have poor dispersion.

I have really enjoyed the Paradigm Studio 60v.5's and the PSB Imagine T's... I am having a hard time deciding between these two but I think it will be one of these. The PSB's are a bit warmer, but the Paradigm a little more crisp (not really notcieably though).

Still have yet to listen to the MA RX-6's but looks wise they are ugly imo... (which is actually imorptant to me(. Both the Para and PSB have the curved encasements, real wood veneers, and look great with the grills off.

Anyothers I should try out before making a decision? for the fronts I am looking to stay below or around $2k for the two.

jenlain

Reaction score
I suggest you add NHT and Vandersteen to your list of potential speakers.

How are you adding zones 2 and 3? If you are not set on hardwiring from your receiver, consider looking at a wireless network via sonos or apple airport express. Can save you a huge amount on labor and gives you flexibility in the future. Keep us updated.

Ciao.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenlain
I suggest you add NHT and Vandersteen to your list of potential speakers.

How are you adding zones 2 and 3? If you are not set on hardwiring from your receiver, consider looking at a wireless network via sonos or apple airport express. Can save you a huge amount on labor and gives you flexibility in the future. Keep us updated.

Ciao.

I will check those out,

as for the other zones, I was planning on using Sonos. For now I am just doing the main zone in the LR and a zone on my back deck/outside area, gonna use a zp90 on the LR main area and a zp120 to power the deck speakers/zone.

Someone else on this thread mentioned the airport express option but I really havent looked into it since I have heard such great things about Sonos.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed the Paradigm Studio 60v.5's and the PSB Imagine T's... I am having a hard time deciding between these two but I think it will be one of these. The PSB's are a bit warmer, but the Paradigm a little more crisp (not really notcieably though).
I think you are making a big mistake by passing on the Maggie 1.7s but between these two options I would lean to the PSB Imagine series. Either way, both are great speakers.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you like paradigm, look at the Sigs for a bit more money.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If you like paradigm, look at the Sigs for a bit more money.

They look great but the S6's are about $4600-$5000 for the pair which is far, far out my price range.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look great but the S6's are about $4600-$5000 for the pair which is far, far out my price range.
You don't have to buy new. Look on audiogon. Audiophiles baby their equipment so you're almost always getting near-mint equipment off that site. You may just find paradigms for half their retail price. Also, how big is the space you're putting them in? You may be able to get away with S4s if you can't afford the S6; they're about half the price. They're bookshelves but they still pack a big punch and go pretty low on bass.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't have to buy new. Look on audiogon. Audiophiles baby their equipment so you're almost always getting near-mint equipment off that site. You may just find paradigms for half their retail price.

Also, how big is the space you're putting them in? You may be able to get away with S4s if you can't afford the S6; they're about half the price. They're bookshelves but they still pack a big punch and go pretty low on bass.

Ture, didnt even think about going the used route. The room is about 18 x 18, approx. 9 1/2 ft. ceilings... Speaking of the S4's, would you think that the studio 60's may be a better speaker than the S4?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ture, didnt even think about going the used route. The room is about 18 x 18, approx. 9 1/2 ft. ceilings... Speaking of the S4's, would you think that the studio 60's may be a better speaker than the S4?
No. Not a chance. The Sigs are better in just about every way, but the biggest difference is the Be tweeter. The studio 60 will push a bit more air, which can help with bass, but that's about it imo. You'd be surprised at how much sound the S4 can actually put out and the bass is very well controlled. I wouldn't let its smaller size deter you. I would get the S4s and a good sub. And get the sub later if you can't afford it now. Don't get a cheap one just to have it. Since your main focus is music, go with the S4 within paradigm's offerings; it's really a no-brainer.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No. Not a chance. The Sigs are better in just about every way, but the biggest difference is the Be tweeter.

GQ speaks the truth here.

The Sigs are really nice.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so as reccomended, i have been looking for the sig's (both to buy and to demo), and I have yet to find either, no local demo's avail. and I cant find them in my price range. Prob. going to go with the PSB's, I keep going back to them.

The Studio 60's were a little more lively imo, but they didnt sound as good to me.

One last thing I need input on,

currently I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-32 reciever. Almost every audio person I have talked to **** on the thing and told me to upgrade. However, all the reviews I read say its great for the money and I got it at a great price ($575 new w/ warranty).

With that said I am really thinking hard about whether to sell it and upgrade, if I were to do so, I would be looking at the following:

Reciever:
Integra DTR-40.2 or DTR-50.2
Anthem MRX-500 or MRX-700
Pioneer Elite SC-35

What is anyones thoughts on dropping the VSX for one of the above, is it worth it? if so which of the above would you reccomend? (I am really leaning toward the new Integra DTR).

I know some may say go with a true amp set up but I really want the features that come with the A/V reciever and I think those I have listed are good enough to compete with an amp set-up.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
so as reccomended, i have been looking for the sig's (both to buy and to demo), and I have yet to find either, no local demo's avail. and I cant find them in my price range. Prob. going to go with the PSB's, I keep going back to them.

The Studio 60's were a little more lively imo, but they didnt sound as good to me.

One last thing I need input on,

currently I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-32 reciever. Almost every audio person I have talked to **** on the thing and told me to upgrade. However, all the reviews I read say its great for the money and I got it at a great price ($575 new w/ warranty).

With that said I am really thinking hard about whether to sell it and upgrade, if I were to do so, I would be looking at the following:

Reciever:
Integra DTR-40.2 or DTR-50.2
Anthem MRX-500 or MRX-700
Pioneer Elite SC-35

What is anyones thoughts on dropping the VSX for one of the above, is it worth it? if so which of the above would you reccomend? (I am really leaning toward the new Integra DTR).

I know some may say go with a true amp set up but I really want the features that come with the A/V reciever and I think those I have listed are good enough to compete with an amp set-up.

What are you willing to spend?

The thing is that you can do a music system in this general range via an integrated amplifier that will deliver much better 2 channel sound than going the receiver route. It really depends then on how much HT functionality you want.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What are you willing to spend?

The thing is that you can do a music system in this general range via an integrated amplifier that will deliver much better 2 channel sound than going the receiver route. It really depends then on how much HT functionality you want.

I would like to be at $1200 or less, I can get the Anthem MRX-500, Integra 50.2, or the Elite SC-35 for all under $1200.

Over the past few days I have spoken with a few dealers and they all rave about the Anthem and its 'ARC' system, that is the same as found in their $8000+ products.

I was almost set on the Integra because on dealer really pushed it on me, and kinda **** on the Anthem, but he seems to be in the minority of those whom i spoken to. It would be nice just to get some honest insight from a dealer!

What do you mean by HT functionality?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ things like lip sync, surround decode capabilities, room correction, etc.

As for dealers ******** on anthem, do he sell anthem? if not, there's your answer. It's good equipment in general, though i'm not familiar with the mrx500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads