• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Does that mean you grant the point?
I think you, dopey, mafoo and manton should all go out to lunch once a week. You already seem to agree on nearly everything discussed on styleforum, but the joy of arguing about how you agree, why you agree, and who agrees with whom more might be worth it for you guys.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think you, dopey, mafoo and manton should all go out to lunch once a week. You already seem to agree on nearly everything discussed on styleforum, but the joy of arguing about how you agree, why you agree, and who agrees with whom more might be worth it for you guys.

This is wrong. I think mafoo's OCBD's are post-modern tragedies.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you, dopey, mafoo and manton should all go out to lunch once a week. You already seem to agree on nearly everything discussed on styleforum, but the joy of arguing about how you agree, and who agrees with whom more might be worth it for you guys.

I don't accept your minor premise, but I'm down. But Manton and dopey would have to come in from the suburbs, though, so it probably won't happen.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

If anything, they are modern tragedies; the changes were meant to be substantive improvements. There is little-to-nothing postmodern about them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I don't accept your minor premise, but I'm down. But Manton and dopey would have to come in from the suburbs, though, so it probably won't happen.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
If anything, they are modern tragedies; the changes were meant to be substantive improvements. There is little-to-nothing postmodern about them.

See, I was right.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

You leapfrogged modernity and ended up in bed with Foucault in a SOMA bathhouse.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems my favorites pair denim with browns:

Originally Posted by Tarmac
dsc00938rg6.jpg

Originally Posted by A Harris
Iron Heart 634S with 1 year of wear, 1st and last pics are most accurate for color:
belstaffpantherih3.jpg

Spurr raw classic:

kors1.jpg

5EP Straight Down Rigid:

barberalinensafari2.jpg

Originally Posted by aragon765
look1.jpg

I also really like the fit on these:

Originally Posted by Souper
Rag and bones:
rb11fit5sh.jpg

5eps:
DSC03524.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been looking for an opportunity to change from my country tweeds to a city suit as the train pulls into the station. With the right hat on the floor, it might even pay for lunch. But a mafoofan is a snufalufagus. He lives in my imagination. To see M.Fan in the Foo would turn my virtual world inside out, with ramifications I cannot think of other than with fear. And if I want to know what grimslade has to say, I don't have to meet him -- I can just ask manton.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=91973

Should note that there are now a pair of Sugarcane jeans in the charity raffle. C'mon guys. I know that you can pony up $25 for a ticket. You can buy 4,5,10 tickets if you like, or just straight up donate.

Cheers,

Fok.

Raffles?! Tickets?! If only I had known.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
The jean that made denim famous by the brand that made jeans famous, this is Levi's reissue of the original 501 from 1947. All the authentic details are preserved; dark-rinsed selvedge cotton denim, pocket joints reinforced with rivets, button fly closure, leather back label and yes, it's still made in the USA. An essential addition to any denim collection. Traditional 5-pocket styling. A Collector's Item. Import. We suggest spot cleaning as much as possible, but when a more thorough cleaning is needed, be sure to wash them inside out, in cold water, with as little detergent as possible. Hang dry.
There have been discussions about these jeans in SW&D. The verdict is still out but many people believe these are the made in Mexico premium Levis made in 1947 cut(not LVC), MSRP around $100. If so, the J Crew markup (for basically just rinsing the jeans) is quite obscene. Not to mention that for $250, there're a lot of better jeans.

If you want LVC 1947 501xx, the best bet is Cultizm.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus H. Christ. I was going to a football game, and since I am not Sator, I did not dress up
smile.gif
. Anyway, the sweater is actually great, and shetlands should be baggy.

I kind of agree that more tapered bottoms would be good, as I notice the same thing the Foo does. What jeans are good in that way?

those iron hearts fit well.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm cross-posting this with waywt. I often straddle the line between grown up and streetwear, wearing jeans more often than not and often with a sport jacket. Here's today, with RRL slim fit jeans in black.
IMG_1701.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I prefer a less rumpled ('stacked'?) fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads