• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dell U2410 Monitor or Apple 24 Cinema Display?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new 24" screen and am looking at the U2410 from Dell or the 24" Cinema Display from Apple. It will connect to a MacBook which has a miniDVI connection, thus the total price to connect each screen will be:

Apple: $800 for the monitor + $170 for a DVI to miniDisplayPort converter = $970

Dell: $500 for the monitor.

The Apple monitor has a built in camera, speaker and can power my MacBook via the magsafe charger, but can only connect via miniDisplayPort, thus the $170 converter. The Dell has DVI, VGA, composite, Component, DisplayPort and HDMI connectors, thus I don't need another converter, however it lacks a camera and speaker.

Which is the better monitor in terms of display quality? Is the Apple screen worth the additional $470?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
$170 for a converter?
confused.gif
That's insane. Unless I'm missing something, monoprice has those for like $10. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

That's not a miniDVI to mini DisplayPort.
smile.gif
You might be able to get a miniDVI to DVI adapter, then use an DVI to Mini DP adapter though. EDIT (I felt like I should say something. You probably expect/were hoping I would): As an Apple follower, aren't you supposed to unquestioningly drop the money for a new laptop with a mini DisplayPort because that's what Apple wants? Why are you even considering a Dell Monitor? You know that Apple products are at least $400 better than any other product, or you wouldn't have bought Apple in the first place! I mean, it's not like you can't sell your old laptop for five bucks less than you bought it for or whatever. If you don't play along with Apple's progressive sales/upgrade path, pretty soon you will be left unsupported.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That's not a miniDVI to mini DisplayPort.
smile.gif
You might be able to get a miniDVI to DVI adapter, then use an DVI to Mini DP adapter though. EDIT (I felt like I should say something. You probably expect/were hoping I would): As an Apple follower, aren't you supposed to unquestioningly drop the money for a new laptop with a mini DisplayPort because that's what Apple wants? Why are you even considering a Dell Monitor? You know that Apple products are at least $400 better than any other product, or you wouldn't have bought Apple in the first place! I mean, it's not like you can't sell your old laptop for five bucks less than you bought it for or whatever. If you don't play along with Apple's progressive sales/upgrade path, pretty soon you will be left unsupported.

I really wasn't waiting for you to say anything, positive or negative. And it seems that you really haven't read everything I have written, because there are a more than a few times when I have bitched and moaned regarding stupid things that Apple / Steve Mobs, um, Jobs has done. I don't blindly follow Apple, you just assumed that I do and thus categorized me as such. Preference does not equal unblinding loyalty. Regarding the conversion, apparently there is no way to directly transfer a DVI signal to miniDisplayPort. Thus the converter is needed: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html Chalk it up as an utterly bonehead move by Apple. All they needed to do was have a miniDisplayPort and a DVI connection on the Cinema Display-series of screens. And FYI: I'm using a Dell screen that I've had for about 5 years and I'm really happy with it (UltraSharp 1905FP - 19").

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the Dell. It's cheaper overall, and has decent picture quality (judging by the ones we have here in the office). Also, the Apple has no built-in picture controls, so if you want to calibrate your monitor, you'll have to do it on the Macbook's video card, which has only 8 bits per channel, and calibration will reduce their range even further.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
the apple display is almost never worth it, and i'm a huuge apple fanboy. think about it you could get a refurbished 27" iMac straight from the apple online store (that even qualifies for applecare) for less than $1,300 ($1,269). the $400 savings compared with the dell monitor can be added onto the $900 you plan on spending to get a whole new 27" iMac. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTU3ODU5MzY http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...deals/mac/imac
But, I never mentioned that I saw going to buy a new iMac... in fact I'm trying to buy the screen so I can utilize a larger, more modern display without having to replace a perfectly functioning computer. However, it would be cheaper to buy this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTU0MzQ5Mjk Than to buy the 24" Cinema Display + the converter.
facepalm.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I really wasn't waiting for you to say anything, positive or negative. And it seems that you really haven't read everything I have written, because there are a more than a few times when I have bitched and moaned regarding stupid things that Apple / Steve Mobs, um, Jobs has done. I don't blindly follow Apple, you just assumed that I do and thus categorized me as such. Preference does not equal unblinding loyalty. Regarding the conversion, apparently there is no way to directly transfer a DVI signal to miniDisplayPort. Thus the converter is needed: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html Chalk it up as an utterly bonehead move by Apple. All they needed to do was have a miniDisplayPort and a DVI connection on the Cinema Display-series of screens. And FYI: I'm using a Dell screen that I've had for about 5 years and I'm really happy with it (UltraSharp 1905FP - 19").
Get a ******* grip. Its a goddamn joke. (and yet, also contains truth)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Get a ******* grip. Its a goddamn joke. (and yet, also contains truth)
Whoa... relax there skippy. Teh interwebz is no serious business. I think I'm going to get the Dell screen, it seems to be the better value for the money, plus it's VESA compatible, so I can hook it up on a good arm. Actually can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive monitor arm?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads