• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo, Turtle, Gator, Phoque (you!), etc. he

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a friendly bump for this thread. Anybody have any new and exciting hides as of late?

Here are two of mine. Left is Ostrich (leg, as opposed to the hide with follicles; many mistake this one for sea turtle or croc) and right is alligator.

Last edited:

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a group of mammal called Pangolins called that acquirred a scale adaptation through natural selection. Never heard of this critter. Very endangered
for our Chinese,Pangolins are delicious meat....

my friend's mom have some serious eye disease recently, and can't alleviate by ordinary medicine.
so the doctor add some squama of pangolins,which is pricey,in the prescription.
and it works!

OK, i don't plan to offtopic
here is a (kind of ) karung leather coat of mine (but i need find a reliable tailor to shorten the sleeves first.sigh...)

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holy ****

my friend just sent me a pic of an antique salmon leather coat exhibited in a museum.

though it's a poor pic,the coat looks so nice.

any maker still produces salmon leather coat ?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Very cool! I remember Dior (by Galliano) some seasons back did bags and such in fish skin, though Salmon or some other variety I'm not sure. I'm surprised there aren't more fish-leather items; what I saw sort of reminded me of python in that it was lightweight, relatively thin/papery, and had neat patterns in the scales. You'd think it would be relatively affordable, given how much fishing there is out there... but I'd be interested in hearing a tanner's point of view if perhaps it's just a really difficult hide with which to work.

I have no clue where I'd wear such a coat, but I'd sure give it a try. :) Thanks for posting!

cardiffrover

Reaction score
Long time reader but first post.

Watch Bands left to right:
American Alligator, eel and shark

Ostrich

Kangaroo

Eel

Eel

Caiman

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posted from a thread I started:

Would love help determining whether these are Croc (I believe), Alligator (possible), or embossed leather (I don't think so, but could be wrong). I still have not become skilled at distinguishing them. They are made by David Eden, who is well known for exotics including alligator and croc, if that helps at all. Bonus points if someone can clarify whether/how to tell if this is the well-desired belly skin, if croc. Thanks in advance!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

those boots are actually the NON-endangered anteater.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying...all eight species of pangolin (also known as scaly anteater) are listed as "threatened." Is that not the same as "endangered?"

It's entirely banned...AFAIK...in the US although it is eaten in parts of Asia, from what I understand.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can recall back in the day when pangolin hides did have a certain vogue in cowboy boots.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads