1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo, Turtle, Gator, Phoque (you!), etc. he

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rach2jlc, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

That said, I'm not altogether sure that the shoes in question are frog. Each of those "bumps" (even the little ones) on real frog tend to be hard, very hard...almost like the tiles on caiman.

The photo of the shoes is not definitive but at first glance it appears to me that the edges of the facings are folded." I don't think this would be possible if it were truly frog.

Might be faux frog.

2. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

was told by a knowledgeable source today that they're leather
    still confused - they might be...

3. DWFII

They are undoubtedly leather...but what does that mean?

Leather is a "catch-all" term for any tanned or preserved skin (sometimes, as in the case of shell, not even skin).

Once the skin is tanned many alterations can be, and are, applied--dying, boxing, printing, snuffing, etc.. Calf or cow leather is naturally smooth when tanned, yet there are many variations that have grain textures--all after-the-fact and not natural. A very few leathers such as elephant, alligator, ostrich, etc., have a natural texture and a distinctive look.

But sometimes smooth leathers are printed to to cover up blemishes on the grain surface...or look like more expensive leathers--to appeal to a different market. A market looking for something distinctive and out of the ordinary...at a relatively ordinary price.

They could be printed-to-look-like-frog calf leather (hence "faux frog").

Or they could be something else...maybe even real frog.

All of it leather.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. DWFII

PS...if it's any consolation, I don't think the leather is a print. I don't know what it is (and I've seen a lot of "exotics"...exotic leathers...in my time). But there are a lot of strange critters on planet earth and no one has seen them all.

I just don't think it's frog leather...I could be wrong--there are lots of ways to tan a hide and maybe someone, somewhere, came up with a way to tan frog and make it soft. Who knows?

5. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

^^ Wish we were in the same city, I'd show them to you. ^^

Im out of my element. I don't know exotics and skins like many that our in this exact forum.
    I do know luxury shoes but thats another subject. I dropped the price on these to $199 on Ebay
    so someone will get I think a fair deal. I also have the Sea Turtle Monks dropped to $149.

I appreciate the help from you guys and always enjoy learning more.

:)

6. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

In the 1960's, US makers were making faux EVERYTHING. They are stamped calf. The creasing gives it away, as well as the lack of depth in the middle of the individual "semi-circles". VERY similar to faux hornback lizard made with calf. They just can't capture the texture/ depth.

7. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

I'm not sure, snake or ostrich leg (or something else
    ?)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Snake, probably cobra.

9. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Gracias Spoo

1 person likes this.
  10. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Authenticated as authentic [​IMG]

Cross post

Allen Edmonds - Real alligator or embossed? I think I know the answer but would appreciate opinions. I found the same exact shoes on eBay, one listing stated alligator print and got $49, the other listing stated genuine alligator and got $225.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  11. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

real

1 person likes this.
  12. DWFII

Definitely real.

13. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Is it safe to assume these are crocodile and not alligator? Any idea as to which species?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DWFII

Unless I am not seeing something...these are almost certainly alligator. Not crocodile. Crocodile would have a clearly visible pore (hole) at the top edge of each tile.

15. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Ahhhh ha, OK, thanks. I imagine you are correct. They were listed online as crocodile, looks like I will have to settle for alligator.

16. DWFII

FWIW, alligators are crocodilians.

17. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Could have been worse, could have bought a caimen! O' the vagaries of shopping 4 online discount luxury RTW [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017