• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo, Turtle, Gator, Phoque (you!), etc. he

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Menco, that looks most like sealskin to my eyes, though it could be sharkskin as well. You can compare it with a quick image search online for "fighting seal", the fancy name used by Church's back when they used seals. The factory was big in exotics one day.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lovely thread

Kudu antelope guacho boot vintage

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Query: how does one identify quality sharkskin from the poor or mediocre? I haven't handled enough accessories or shuus made from it so far.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly, nasty and fun. That's what I'll say about sharkskin as a shoe material.

NOS vintage Florsheim Imperial long wing derbies with shark uppers and the usual burly features. Maybe someone on SF can date these according to the box.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am pretty sure these are just stamped (embossed) leather but I'm open to opinions!
British Walkers? They made this model with some pairs having actual horned back lizard skin and others with faux. I believe these to be faux... but a very cool design nonetheless. The stamping is very well done.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Menco, that hide looks like peccary...most of them have those three-hole hair prongs, but the ones I've seen used for footwear are different, very much like this.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.