• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Metro Ethnic Food

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Grape Seed is yummy for food from the Med.

I love Grape Seed. The scallop dish I got there awhile back was delicious, among other things.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
If I was Burmese and you called my food Malaysian, I'd probably not give you good service either.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Personally, I can't get enough of all the Peruvian wood-fired rotisserie chicken in this area. God damn, that stuff is addictive and perfect.

Yeah, woops. It's that whole Myanmar thing that threw me off.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What places do you like? Have you been to the Chicken Place in Falls Church? That's probably my favorite, waaaay better than Edy's, which is across the street.
I haven't been to any restaurants in Virginia. I know, fail.

Nah, just the Crisp-n-juicy here next to my apartment complex in Silver Spring, and especially Chicken Tortilla on 8th SE between the Barracks and the Navy Yard. I will gleefully check out any other recommendations that are within easy walking distance of a metro stop.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Hunan Lion in McLean/Vienna (the toilet bowl building). It pisses me off that I have to leave the District for decent Chinese, but it is worth it.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Hunan Lion in McLean/Vienna (the toilet bowl building). It pisses me off that I have to leave the District for decent Chinese, but it is worth it.
Holy **** I forgot about that place! My parents live about 2 miles away, and I used to go there all the time with friends. But you should really check out Mark's Duck House in Falls Church or Young Chow's which may be a little closer in Crystal City, though the food there is kind of hit-or-miss. And lastly you should check out Peking Duck in Falls Church at the Culmore Shopping Center on Rt 7. It is pretty much an institution.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Lots of good recommendations. I second the recommendations for Al's cheesesteaks and Huong Que. I'll have to try some of other places in the Eden Center.

There are a few other places I recommend:

Duangrat's or Rabieng for Thai food on Rt 7 outside of Alexandria. Rabieng is good for the slightly more esoteric stuff. Across the street is Peking Gourmet - although it's not really my thing, they have great Peking Duck. I'd recommend anything with the spring onions or garlic sprouts, which they grow themselves. There's a plethora of asian restaurants in the area.

We always used to hit Los Amigos mexican restaurant in Del Ray. It's always solid if you like the combo platter mexican restaurants. If you're looking for tongue tacos or something more authentic, it won't be your place.

There's also Bombay Curry Co on Mount Vernon Ave. The food is unremarkable with the exception of the tandoori chicken wings. They are like crack.

bkk

Reaction score
Brasserie Beck on K St for Belgian food/beer
Chez Francois in Great Falls for French
Komi in Dupont for, well, sort of Greek (just went this past week. possibly the best meal I've ever had)
Sushi Ko in Glover Park for Japanese
Another vote for Mykonos in Rockville for Greek

Are American sandwiches ethnic? Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington/Falls Church makes some wonderful sammiches.

level32

Reaction score
Thanks for the great picks everyone! Will definitely hit most of these ups when I move there.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al-Wahid
Not to diverge too much from the topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for really good Mexican in D.C.? All the places that I've tried thus far have been more or less mediocre. Burrito Brothers is decent but I was looking for something more along the lines of a sit down place.

Mixtec in Adams Morgan is solid.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al-Wahid
Not to diverge too much from the topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for really good Mexican in D.C.? All the places that I've tried thus far have been more or less mediocre. Burrito Brothers is decent but I was looking for something more along the lines of a sit down place.

Lauriol Plaza is a nice tex-mex sit down place. They make their own tortillas on the premise, you can watch, it's pretty cool. It's a little more pricey than it's sister resturant Cactus Cantina on Wisconsin, but it's not absurdly overpriced. The Margarita's are worth the trip alone.

Marrakesh Palace in Dupont is great morrocan food. Try the Chicken Fassi. The belly dancers are a nice touch.

Meze, also in Adams Morgan does good Turkish meze, as does Cafe Divan. Cafe Divan's sit down menu is a little overpriced for the quality IMHO, a much better deal is their carryout service, same dish as the sit down place but for about $8-$9 cheaper. I lived a few blocks away during college and there was nothing like a little Doner Kebab before going out.

Polo Club in Dupont does good tandori cusine for a very fair price.

Amma's does vegitarian Indian food that is absolutely delicious and super cheap. They have locations in Vienna and Georgetown but definitely don't bring a date here, food is great, atmosphere sucks.

Fogo de Chao is basically what I imagine heaven will be like. It's an all you can eat Brazillian steakhouse.

I'll let that sink in...

Recoverd? Good. Basically the servers walk around with amazing cuts on what look like swords, and ask you if you would like some. Everything here is amazing and the wine selection is quite good as well. Try absolutely everything, and then go back for the fillet mingion wrapped in bacon. Finish dinner off with one of their amazing desserts.

I'm sure I have a bunch more but all that typing about fogo has made me hungry....

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been to Marvin (the pic is of Marvin, and next door you can see the empty storefront that hides their "speakeasy," the Gibson); every time I try to go to Granville Moore's the wait is too long. Never been to one of Clark's restaurants; she is pretty damn ambitious. I've been waiting for her Silver Spring place to open.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to Marvin as well. Great atmosphere and great selection of beer, but I was underwhelmed by the food.

elgreco

Reaction score
Cork is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in the city right now. Love, love, love it. I've been to Marvin once and I enjoyed the shrimp and grits I had, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the beer selection. Then again, that might have just been the upstairs bar. Granville Moore's is another favorite of mine but it's all the way on the other side of town from me and the line is always ridiculously long. The Moules Navigateur is one of the best mussels, and seafood dishes overall, that I've ever had. BTW - if you guys aren't already familiar, and don't mind a bit of cross-promotion for another forum, but donrockwell.com has TONS of information about DC dining and all these restaurants are discussed regularly.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Cork is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in the city right now. Love, love, love it. I've been to Marvin once and I enjoyed the shrimp and grits I had, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the beer selection. Then again, that might have just been the upstairs bar. Granville Moore's is another favorite of mine but it's all the way on the other side of town from me and the line is always ridiculously long. The Moules Navigateur is one of the best mussels, and seafood dishes overall, that I've ever had.

BTW - if you guys aren't already familiar, and don't mind a bit of cross-promotion for another forum, but donrockwell.com has TONS of information about DC dining and all these restaurants are discussed regularly.

This has got me excited about trying Granville Moore's. My wife loves mussels, so this will definitely be a restaurant we hit soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads