• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB Blazer with Patch Pockets?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Second, I simply do not understand the number of initial customers of bespoke clothing who turn to the forum for opinion. I don't quite get that...I'm not quite sure why they are going bespoke anyway with such uncertainty.
Of course you get it, you're just being too polite to spell it out. A large percentage - not all, admittedly - are posting about their initial commissions with the (mostly) unconscious motivation of shouting to the forum: "I've got/am planning to get bespoke stuff, I'm really really super-duper excited, talk about it (me), now!". The excitement isn't from wearing the item, but from the novelty of the process and the keeness to "join the club" (such as it is......) As someone who only got bespoke anything in terms of clothes about 4 years ago (and still only have few such items), I can empathise with this, and an internet forum is the obvious place to let it out, given the likely lack of interest from their real-life acquaintances.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The nitpicking on fit can be useful in some contexts, but it's usually not at all because of the vagaries of photography. The place where people could really benefit from criticism, and from lurking and looking at lots of pictures, is more in matters silhouette, combinations and color - things that I think boil down to a question of taste and style more than anything else. For some people that comes more naturally than for others. Still, I can't help but think that people could learn a lot about these things through the feedback they might get in a place like this. Unfortunately, that feedback is often too uncritical and contradictory to be of any help.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Of course you get it, you're just being too polite to spell it out. A large percentage - not all, admittedly - are posting about their initial commissions with the (mostly) unconscious motivation of shouting to the forum: "I've got/am planning to get bespoke stuff, I'm really really super-duper excited, talk about it (me), now!". The excitement isn't from wearing the item, but from the novelty of the process and the keeness to "join the club" (such as it is......) As someone who only got bespoke anything in terms of clothes about 4 years ago (and still only have few such items), I can empathise with this, and an internet forum is the obvious place to let it out, given the likely lack of interest from their real-life acquaintances.
Exactly. There are other 'motivators' as well.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like whnay, I would probably get a matching pair of trousers made, so I would have a BlazerSuit. Otherwise, a DB blazer is a solid idea.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
p1020067i.jpg

Originally Posted by aj_del
inlove.gif
, but there appear to be some issues in the first pic around the waist

Did the last 3 pages of shitstorm happen because of my mild comment. I didnt mean to offend ... but I still think the chest and waist look unclean for whatever reason. I dont know Foo's knowledge to dissect the problem (if there exists one) but I just said what I saw. Just wondering why is it that the people who complain about the bukkake in the WAYWRN blow a gasket if someone doesnt bukkake over their own pics ? Still think that a BigTimer subforum is a good idea where sartorial gods can discuss bespoke clothing and make fun of AE seconds without being disturbed by the small timer nerds who cant get laid under any circumstances.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You raise interesting points, and I want to think about them more before I answer. In some respects, they're about whether SF has plateaued/plummeted or not as a useful place to discuss and learn about classically tailored mens clothing.

I'll offer some thoughts, though: the bespoke customer population here seems topsy turvy. I would say that more than half of what's shown are initial or even first orders. Even discounting that, the majority of the remainder seem to be guys who are getting stuff for a few years at the most.

I'm trying to think of guys who've used bespoke ten years or more, especially with the same tailor. There are a few, but you can count the number on your hands who have or do post photographs: Will; RSS back in AAAC days; Manton; yachtie when he used to post; Butler and Vaux I'm guessing; il vechio; T4phage; and me. If you want, we can toss in iammatt, although I'm not sure if he's hit the decade mark on Rubinacci yet. As a group, this is probably more similar to the what is typical for the clientele is than what you're used to seeing online on SF which skews heavily to recent converts.

Perhaps it's this quality of recent conversion that accounts for the thin skins that you discern.

There's a slightly wider group of guys who buy custom clothes who do not post fit pics, or any pics for that matter. They generally have interesting things to say and seldom need to be defensive since they have not risked exposing how they appear.

- B

You are an excellent communicator. You will excel in politics brah brah ... lol!!

In religion, the new converts are typically the most vocal and aggressive. With regards to SF, bespoke is akin to a religious experience.

smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Of course you get it, you're just being too polite to spell it out.

A large percentage - not all, admittedly - are posting about their initial commissions with the (mostly) unconscious motivation of shouting to the forum: "I've got/am planning to get bespoke stuff, I'm really really super-duper excited, talk about it (me), now!". The excitement isn't from wearing the item, but from the novelty of the process and the keeness to "join the club" (such as it is......)

As someone who only got bespoke anything in terms of clothes about 4 years ago (and still only have few such items), I can empathise with this, and an internet forum is the obvious place to let it out, given the likely lack of interest from their real-life acquaintances.

this.

Did the last 3 pages of shitstorm happen because of my mild comment. I didnt mean to offend ... but I still think the chest and waist look unclean for whatever reason. I dont know Foo's knowledge to dissect the problem (if there exists one) but I just said what I saw.

Just wondering why is it that the people who complain about the bukkake in the WAYWRN blow a gasket if someone doesnt bukkake over their own pics ?

Still think that a BigTimer subforum is a good idea where sartorial gods can discuss bespoke clothing and make fun of AE seconds without being disturbed by the small timer nerds who cant get laid under any circumstances.

AJ - point made. let's all move on.

emptym

Reaction score
J, I don't think the problem is with criticism or praise so much as the right amount of criticism or praise directed at the right things. Also, I wouldn't take Whnay's complaint personally, and I don't think he meant it that way. Finally, I really liked this three patch db by jefferyd:
4979060691_ce13aab725.jpg
It's a much nicer version of an old chambray db I have.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
AJ, I don't think the problem is with criticism or praise so much as the right amount of criticism or praise directed at the right things.

Also, I wouldn't take Whnay's complaint personally, and I don't think he meant it that way.

Finally, I really liked this three patch db by jefferyd:
4979060691_ce13aab725.jpg

It's a much nicer version of an old chambray db I have.

Thats a nice coat.

AJ my comments were not directed at you - just trends at SF in general.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I wanna say H&S peacock...I'll see if I can find out tomorrow.

I know a lot of people dig the beard... but beardless is definitely the way to go imo.

And I like that first one a lot.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC should have a WAYWT like Streetwear where only pics are allowed. All commentary, for those that want it, or feel the need to cross-post and comment, should do so in another dedicated thread.

What's worse is getting comments from people who don't know what they are talking about, or only think they know what they are talking about because they heard someone with 10k posts say something similar.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the last 3 pages of shitstorm happen because of my mild comment. I didnt mean to offend ... but I still think the chest and waist look unclean for whatever reason. I dont know Foo's knowledge to dissect the problem (if there exists one) but I just said what I saw. Just wondering why is it that the people who complain about the bukkake in the WAYWRN blow a gasket if someone doesnt bukkake over their own pics ? Still think that a BigTimer subforum is a good idea where sartorial gods can discuss bespoke clothing and make fun of AE seconds without being disturbed by the small timer nerds who cant get laid under any circumstances.
You are entirely missing the point. Whnay doesn't give a crap about getting approval, validation or praise from any of us (which is the right attitude). My advice is to stop putting so much reliance and emphasis on photos and holding Foo's photoshopping abilities to "correct" fit in such high regard. There is nothing to dissect with Whnay's photo, and Foo is not the sartorial master you make him out to be.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I think you have a hard one for me (from much before this occasion) and as such I generally try to ignore your comments.

Regarding whnay caring or giving a ****, he could easily have ignored my innocuous comment. Rather, he chose to rebut them in a forceful manner as is his prerogative. Thus saying that he doesnt care a **** is rather difficult for me to believe.

I have never considered a Foo a sartorial master though the Get Foofed thread is good for getting some ideas.

Example of Foo in action (this also proves whnay's point of clothes looking different in action)

Originally Posted by mafoofan
To be quite frank, if this is what your tailor made for you last time, maybe the problem is your tailor. It looks no better than a ready-to-wear suit you randomly grabbed off the rack in something close to your size. I don't think telling him to change the button placement is really going to fix matters or get you anywhere near the kind of look you want.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm, what don't you like about it? There's a pull at the buttoning point, but that could be nothing. Otherwise, it looks pretty decent.

I think the button placement is very good, as are the general proportions of the jacket. The waist suppression is nice. I wouldn't want more or less.

Both the pictures are of the same DB. The pull at the waist is due to my aggressive quest for waist suppression despite my tailor's recommendations.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... but I still think the chest and waist look unclean for whatever reason.

Just to state the obvious: there is indeed something funky going on with Bill's mid-section.

lurker[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks fine, it looks like maybe shirt bunching or something. You guys are picky beyond a reasonable notion sometimes.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to forget that Bill takes notoriously ****** pictures (sorry Bill). It's tough to judge any sort of rippling going on when they could just be due to shadows and light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads