• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkening leather bags--share your expertise (possible SAB sale)

PeterEliot

Reaction score
I have this utterly gorgeous chestnut bridle leather briefcase--which I almost never carry to work because I find it too red to match my usual dress. (At least that's my taste; other people say it looks fine.)

If you have personal know-how as to darkening bridle hide, share it with me (and, I'm sure, with lots of other folks here who are interested in the same). Let's be clear with one thing, though. This is a bag, not shoes--it comes into contact with hands and clothes a good deal, so that it is critical that the newly applied color not rub off everything it touches. My bag is on a shoulder strap and will be in frequent contact with my jacket, etc.

It's a pretty costly bag, and I am not going to take risks with it--but I'd like to know what possibilities are out there, just the same. So--share with me please.

P.S.: I'm also considering selling this one and buying another in tan shade. If you are interested in a near-flawless $2000 Swaine Adeney briefcase for $900, post your intent and/or send me a PM. It was bought in September and basically in a perfect condition. It is the very same SAB pictured in this review I myself wrote in Ask Andy forum: [ http://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum...=swaine+adeney ]

As you can see, the bag is one of a kind, having been custom produced with a round lock instead of the usual square. It retails at Sterling & Burke for $1975 and could be yours for $1000 less than that and without the 10-week waiting period. I'm actually not very sure I want to sell it (I love everything about it except the shade--and I should mention here that in real life it doesn't look as red as it does in the photos above; it's bright chestnut), but I'd like to know if there are buyers willing. Note that I live in Korea, however--the low price is in consideration of import duties you might have to pay. But shipping, if I do decide to sell it, is on me.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter,
have you tried to contact SAB and asked them if they can do it for you?I wouldn't try to change the color of the case myself,I think you should definitely get professional help.
I,personally,think that the color is fine.I do have that same briefcase and mine is much lighter.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep it. Put some Lexol conditioner on it. And stop worrying about the color. It's a gorgeous bag that will get more so as you use it and it weathers.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lexol will work and so will Sno Seal. Either one will darken the leather with the added benefit of conditioning the leather.

PeterEliot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Lexol will work and so will Sno Seal. Either one will darken the leather with the added benefit of conditioning the leather.

You don't happen to be Mr. Crane himself, are you? I just ordered a Filson duffel via e-mail from Korea...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
You don't happen to be Mr. Crane himself, are you? I just ordered a Filson duffel via e-mail from Korea...

Nope I'm just the guy who runs the entire online adventures of Crane's. I read your emails and saw your order and it's nice to see a familiar face coming around again.

By the way, try using Sno Seal on that bag of yours. It will darken the color and kill some of the red color. My Filson Aviator had the same problem but after two applications it's a much deeper color without the heavy red tone. Don't use shoe polish or try to dye it again, you'll wreck it. That's advice from two leather guys I know who made a lot of custom stuff for me over the years.

pdsf

Reaction score
Wow, that's a lovely bag. If you wanna sell it, let me know :) I do think conditioning the leather is very important. I know people have suggested Sno Seal and Lexol - is there a consensus regarding which one is better? I have a black Prada deerskin bag that I should condition, but not sure which one to go for....Any advice? Thanks.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
Wow, that's a lovely bag. If you wanna sell it, let me know :) I do think conditioning the leather is very important. I know people have suggested Sno Seal and Lexol - is there a consensus regarding which one is better? I have a black Prada deerskin bag that I should condition, but not sure which one to go for....Any advice? Thanks.

Both are very good products. Lexol is a liquid that consists of the oils used in the tanning process which keeps the leather supple and well lubricated but it doesn't really help keep the leather water resistant. Sno Seal is made of the same oils and bees wax. Bees wax keeps the leather supple with the added benefit of making a leather product nearly waterproof. I use a lot of this stuff since most of my leather is exposed to the elements on a regular basis.

pdsf

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice! I think I'd go with Sno Seal. Cheers!

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
it is a lovely bag. but i'm not sure how i'd feel about an expensive briefcase/luggage, just the basic concept of it. they are things that you want to be able to haul around and not think much of, so of course they are going to sustain a beating and some wear and tear. i'd hate to have another thing to be concious of

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics