• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Brown Audley vs Black Audley?

johnation33

Reaction score
Ah sorry to bombard with so many questions but before I buy the audley I have a quick question-- Do you think it's better to get a dark brown audley or black audley?

Can I get your opinion in the context of my other purchases (I'm trying to get a good rotation so I don't wear the same pair everyday)

1. Buy
-Dark Brown Audley
-Black Allen edmonds Park Avenue
-Chestnut Westbourne

OR

2. Buy
-Black Audley
-Dark Brown Westfield

The advantage of #2 is that it will save me some money, but disadvantage is can I get a good rotation from two pairs of shoes? Also, I have reservations about the chestnut color because in my previous experiences it was very hard to pair it with dark /midnight blue jeans and I don't know how well it would go with my dark navy suit.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has your algebra accounted for the discontinued brown Park Avenue being cheaper than the black?

Josef Seibel

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. Right at the start, I wouldn´t invest in a pair of Black handgrades. If it´s black, it´s black. Have you looked at the Hallam ? The Westfield is also available in Black. However I strongly recommend the Audley in dark brown antique: high quality brown leather + the shoe is very versatile.

1.Buy
-Dark Brown Audley
-Black Hallam / Westfield
(-Chestnut Westbourne)

IMO, Westbourne in Chestnut + Blue Jeans = good combination..........

143005ja7.jpg

johnation33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Josef Seibel
Decisions, decisions. Right at the start, I wouldn´t invest in a pair of Black handgrades. If it´s black, it´s black. Have you looked at the Hallam ? The Westfield is also available in Black. However I strongly recommend the Audley in dark brown antique: high quality brown leather + the shoe is very versatile.

1.Buy
-Dark Brown Audley
-Black Hallam / Westfield
(-Chestnut Westbourne)

IMO, Westbourne in Chestnut + Blue Jeans = good combination..........

143005ja7.jpg

thanks for your input I think I share a similar opinion to, mainly I dont' see when I would wear black audley except at interviews or more formal events. The chestnut and blue jeans in that picture does look good except all my jeans are much more darker shade of blue and I found it looks quite jarring with my chestnut color leather sneakers I currently own

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm getting as my first 2 pair of CJ.
Getting the black Hallam, and dark brown Audley.
I'm still don't know what to get as my 3rd pair. Debating between Belgrave seude or some brown savile ;o

sf_esq

Reaction score
Doesn't the black Hallam only come with a Dainite rubber sole? I have the beechnut Hallam and it's a nice looking shoe. Was considering picking up a black pair as well, but like the Westbourne quite a bit too.

slt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Doesn't the black Hallam only come with a Dainite rubber sole? I have the beechnut Hallam and it's a nice looking shoe. Was considering picking up a black pair as well, but like the Westbourne quite a bit too.

The Hallam does come in black with a leather sole.

It comes with a Dainite sole in dark brown and black, both of these are in socalled cavalry calf.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slt
The Hallam does come in black with a leather sole.

It comes with a Dainite sole in dark brown and black, both of these are in socalled cavalry calf.

Thanks. What is the difference between "calvarly calf" and calf?

johnation33

Reaction score
what is a dainite sole may I ask? And is this an optional feature on the hallam or is something on all of them? Does the Audley have an dainite sole too?

slt

Reaction score
A Dainite sole is a form of rubber sole.

It's not really an optional feature of the Hallam as it's only available on the cavalry calf versions.

Cavalry calf is a CJ term for corrected grain.

There is no Audley with a Dainite sole. The only CJ handgrade with a Dainite sole is the Boswell.

johnation33

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slt
A Dainite sole is a form of rubber sole.

It's not really an optional feature of the Hallam as it's only available on the cavalry calf versions.

Cavalry calf is a CJ term for corrected grain.

There is no Audley with a Dainite sole. The only CJ handgrade with a Dainite sole is the Boswell.

but the Hallam also comes in full grain right? What is that model called? The non-calvary calf version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads