• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dan Trepanier is More Stylish Than YOU!

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin

I also agree with you. However, as one who has both sought out opinions on fit quality, and been critiqued on such, I am that much more concerned with it now.....

That seems to be the direction you get moved in over here, unless you come in from the get-go with stupendous fit quality (and there have been several that fall into this category) or such a great sense of personal style (again, I can think of a few right off the top of my head) that this becomes less of a concern.

At the end of the day, I would rather be considered as someone who has style, than someone who has perfectly fitting clothes. Unfortunately, I am probably not considered either by the vast majority.
lol8[1].gif

Dan has style and the way his clothes fit are "modern," and by modern, I mean more trendy than classic. I will venture a guess that as he ages, that will relax a little and the blend will come together even better.

There is a reason why he won the BDRM contest...and that is because he appealed to the masses with his young and current wardrobe, and the way he pulled it off. Whereas someone like Foo, while wearing clothes that were better fitting, and higher quality, lacked that connection with the voters.

Mike

Can't disagree with you in any way, shape or form there. Well said!

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I agree. I loved w.o.e's recent pics, despite the SC appearing small. I personally would take style over perfect fit any day. However, in combination it can be even better.
I agree it could have been better with a slightly less nipped waist. I think the difference here is that w.o.e.'s pics often provide more inspiration than instruction. He clearly has a great eye for style, and much of it seems almost innate. The upside to SF is that it often focuses a bit more on instruction, namely on issues such as fit. We all know how a coat should fit you, but we can't help you make it look stylish. Dan is trying to be both - providing stylish fits that both act as inspiration and instruction. Whether he's doing that well is up to the reader. I imagine that if w.o.e. provided instruction on being stylish, however, he would also come off as hubristic and corny, mainly because the "magic" would be gone. That doesn't mean either guy is any less upstanding in real life or stylish. Additionally, there's no reason to criticize him on fit when his blog is clearly just about style. There's also no reason to lambast him on a few mis-stepped posts instead of judging his blog as a whole. I don't see anything objectionable with his post on the versatility of a tweed suit, for example.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta say, I visited the site after reading this thread and I was ready to hate the guy.

In truth he's a Jock who loves clothes and wants to share his experience. His writing style is articulate with out being arrogant or flamboyant and 80% of his outfits I would want to wear.

It seems (as has been pointed out already) that people don't like the guy becuase he is either

- An outsider (and thus not SF certified)
- A Jock (and I would put a large bet that very few people at SF are true "alpha males")
- Fit and Good Looking (When most of us are simply trying to make the best of what God gave us, even though it is clear he was drunk when putting us together)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Gotta say, I visited the site after reading this thread and I was ready to hate the guy.

In truth he's a Jock who loves clothes and wants to share his experience. His writing style is articulate with out being arrogant or flamboyant and 80% of his outfits I would want to wear.

It seems (as has been pointed out already) that people don't like the guy becuase he is either

- A Jock (and I would put a large bet that very few people at SF are true "alpha males")
- Fit and Good Looking (When most of us are simply trying to make the best of what God gave us, even though it is clear he was drunk when putting us together)

He also beat our
foo.gif
, who embodies many of our general norms (focus on fit, tailoring, quality, classic styles). I think some people took that as a slap in the face. Folks need to let it go though, both guys still look great.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And what, pray tell, does being a jock have to do with being an alpha male?

NachoBroadway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Agreed!! It's easy to try and take down someone who is out there doing something that is daring, takes balls and confidence. It's also easy to talk a bunch of bullshit on some forum and post marsupialed pictures of yourself and not feel bad because 90% on the posters on here are 40+ and all dress the same, boring as hell...

Funny, it's called 'STYLE Forum,' not FIT Forum......

Agreed again!! Have you people truly looked at yourselves on these WAYWRN posts??? 75% of you dress like crap!!! Take another look yourselves and then take another look at Style Blogger, here are some examples of how you so-called experts dress:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210130

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199861

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165694

Style is no longer what it used to be, you refer to Agnelli, who I will not cut down but point out that while he was indeed 'stylish,' I am sorry to say that he ALWAYS looked the same, wore the same stuff etc. Same with Cary Grant and all of these other old-timers out there who are famous for being stylish..... It's no longer so easy to be labeled as such, it's takes balls and the ability to do something different yet still look good. While I can't say that I like every outfit that Style Blogger wears, I will say that he dresses better than any of you on here and he proved that by winning Esquire's little contest. Why didn't all of you ****-talkers enter??? And if you did, YOU MUST HAVE LOST!!!!

All this emphasis on fit and bespoke and this and that doesn't mean ****, if you can't dress well and put the pieces of your outfit together well. And if you look at those WAYWRN photos, I will admit that many of you have very nice pieces but you jumble it all together like a full-english breakfast and what does it end up looking like??? MUSH!!

Many of you guys still wear baggy-ass suits that look 3 sizes too big. I mean come on, quit hating on the young guy and just admit that all of you conservatives are a bunch of tight wads who will try and knock down anyone daring and 'really' stylish.....

Dan is not the least bit douchey and egotistical. Even when I have told him that I found his outfits to be not so great, he always responds in a respectable and positive manner. That's commendable!

QUIT HATING!!

kaneklap.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to this Woe and Dan drama, the fact is that Woe pulls off his look effortlessly while Dan looks as if he is trying to hard. This should be clear as day.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Srly. The sleeves are wrinkled! Wait, that guy is not standing like a robot and there is a rumple in the jacket! NO STYLE. NO STYLE. FIT IS OFF!!
Point well taken.
worship.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
In regards to this Woe and Dan drama, the fact is that Woe pulls off his look effortlessly while Dan looks as if he is trying to hard. This should be clear as day.

I think you need to look up the definition of a fact, bro.

Johnny24

Reaction score

+1

I would pretty much say you nailed it, and really the first one could be expanded into the issue of beating
foo.gif
for the Esquire contest. Had Dan been a regular poster here like
foo.gif
, I think he would be the darling of SF.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
And what, pray tell, does being a jock have to do with being an alpha male?

A Jock? More of a joke if you ask me..

He is young ,good-looking with an inflated ego....

Is he interesting?

Maybe but his clothes are not well-fitted or that great looking...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While Dan is not an ultimate example when it comes to dressing well ... he certainly dresses better than the vast majority. Moreover, he's a very decent enough looking fellow ...appears to groom himself well ... and looks to be physically fit. In short ... he's got it relatively well together from this point of view.

That said, I do find his self promotion -- particularly in that it predominantly involves images of himself -- a bit unseemly. Also, I am skeptical of anyone who'd allow a photograph taken while wearing a bath towel.

I still don't understand the appeal of the Esquire Best Dressed Real Man (was that the title?) Contest ... in that it really put people in a fairly bright spotlight ... a place I'm always surprised anyone wants to be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads