• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dan Trepanier is More Stylish Than YOU!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
As opposed to what?
As opposed to how they currently dress. While my favorite nephew and niece both dress well ... there are others who aren't so good at it. One nephew thinks that khaki trousers and a ocbd shirt is "dressing-up." It would be nice were he to more often wear a coat & tie.

Here at my house we wear a coat and tie at dinner ... and when he's here ... he really bucks against the "house rules."

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
As opposed to how they currently dress. While my favorite nephew and niece both dress well ... there are others who aren't so good at it. One nephew thinks that khaki trousers and a ocbd shirt is "dressing-up."

Given what I see teenagers wearing around these parts, I will be relieved if my son is inclined to wear khakis and an ocbd when he gets to that age.

Johnny24

Reaction score
He seems like a good guy and that is noted by a posted who says that Dan doesn't respond in a negative way to people who are critical of his style choices or outfits. I personally like the way he dresses and I actually have some similar items and styles in my closet; with that said, I am in the same age bracket as Dan so some of the more peacock-ish stuff I can get away with due to age and how it fits.

I don't think he is a douche; if you all do is why is that? Because he posts photos of himself on a blog showing how he dresses? How is that any different than the "What are you wearing?" or "please comment on the fit" threads that pop up on here? It is not in anyway at all, except for the fact that he is doing it to a more open community via social networking on a blog and he has a notable name due to Esquire. He is maximizing his window to do something he loves; so what if he has the attitude, and balls to make it work for him? I think people are just hating because he seems to be living a life that most SF posters would want if they could have it. Great clothes, seemingly good income, doing something they enjoy, and most of all, getting people to agree (bye and large) that their clothing choices are awesome.

I would love to see the hate on here if someone parlayed the Esquire contest into something even bigger than a blog/fashion industry job, it would be comical.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's gotta be a member of this forum (at least a lurker)..all he had to do was google his name when the esquire/foo contest was going on, what i want to know is what happened to all that kenneth cole?
stirpot.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Given what I see teenagers wearing around these parts, I will be relieved if my son is inclined to wear khakis and an ocbd when he gets to that age.
TC ... you have given me pause. Marriages (and the next generation still) are at hand. Perhaps I should pray.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear everything he wears, and sometimes his fit is off a bit, but in general he looks great. If anyone were to post his looks as often as he does, they would likely have the same ratio of good/not-so-good fits.

Let's be reasonable, fellas. For the most part, the guy looks good. He will likely dial in his look as he gets older and indulge in bespoke from the classic houses. If he becomes the next Flusser, it will not surprise me one bit.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Agreed!! It's easy to try and take down someone who is out there doing something that is daring, takes balls and confidence. It's also easy to talk a bunch of bullshit on some forum and post marsupialed pictures of yourself and not feel bad because 90% on the posters on here are 40+ and all dress the same, boring as hell...

Funny, it's called 'STYLE Forum,' not FIT Forum......

Agreed again!! Have you people truly looked at yourselves on these WAYWRN posts??? 75% of you dress like crap!!! Take another look yourselves and then take another look at Style Blogger, here are some examples of how you so-called experts dress:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210130

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199861

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165694

Style is no longer what it used to be, you refer to Agnelli, who I will not cut down but point out that while he was indeed 'stylish,' I am sorry to say that he ALWAYS looked the same, wore the same stuff etc. Same with Cary Grant and all of these other old-timers out there who are famous for being stylish..... It's no longer so easy to be labeled as such, it's takes balls and the ability to do something different yet still look good. While I can't say that I like every outfit that Style Blogger wears, I will say that he dresses better than any of you on here and he proved that by winning Esquire's little contest. Why didn't all of you ****-talkers enter??? And if you did, YOU MUST HAVE LOST!!!!

All this emphasis on fit and bespoke and this and that doesn't mean ****, if you can't dress well and put the pieces of your outfit together well. And if you look at those WAYWRN photos, I will admit that many of you have very nice pieces but you jumble it all together like a full-english breakfast and what does it end up looking like??? MUSH!!

Many of you guys still wear baggy-ass suits that look 3 sizes too big. I mean come on, quit hating on the young guy and just admit that all of you conservatives are a bunch of tight wads who will try and knock down anyone daring and 'really' stylish.....

Dan is not the least bit douchey and egotistical. Even when I have told him that I found his outfits to be not so great, he always responds in a respectable and positive manner. That's commendable!

QUIT HATING!!

Amen-Brother.jpg

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Not really..

He has some good sartorial ideas but he is not Agnelli yet.

Our dear RSS has more Savile Row suits than Dan T had pictures of himself on the net and there are quite a few now from our modest Dan.

Lil ***** Agnelli aint got **** on my boy Trey Pan Yay

agnelli1.jpg

reIMG_7130-682x1024.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, it's called 'STYLE Forum,' not FIT Forum......

Agreed again!! Have you people truly looked at yourselves on these WAYWRN posts??? 75% of you dress like crap!!! Take another look yourselves and then take another look at Style Blogger, here are some examples of how you so-called experts dress:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210130

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199861

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165694

Style is no longer what it used to be, you refer to Agnelli, who I will not cut down but point out that while he was indeed 'stylish,' I am sorry to say that he ALWAYS looked the same, wore the same stuff etc. Same with Cary Grant and all of these other old-timers out there who are famous for being stylish..... It's no longer so easy to be labeled as such, it's takes balls and the ability to do something different yet still look good. While I can't say that I like every outfit that Style Blogger wears, I will say that he dresses better than any of you on here and he proved that by winning Esquire's little contest. Why didn't all of you ****-talkers enter??? And if you did, YOU MUST HAVE LOST!!!!

All this emphasis on fit and bespoke and this and that doesn't mean ****, if you can't dress well and put the pieces of your outfit together well. And if you look at those WAYWRN photos, I will admit that many of you have very nice pieces but you jumble it all together like a full-english breakfast and what does it end up looking like??? MUSH!!

Many of you guys still wear baggy-ass suits that look 3 sizes too big. I mean come on, quit hating on the young guy and just admit that all of you conservatives are a bunch of tight wads who will try and knock down anyone daring and 'really' stylish.....

Dan is not the least bit douchey and egotistical. Even when I have told him that I found his outfits to be not so great, he always responds in a respectable and positive manner. That's commendable!

QUIT HATING!!

Well, regardless of what it is called, fit is something that is looked at first and foremost, followed by the overall style of an outfit. I am not endorsing either approach, merely observing and reporting.

Also, you might want to dial it back just a click or two. I think there were quite a few of us who were supportive of the guy in this thread.

Mike

Mike

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan showcases different concepts on his blog. What you guys are interpreting as "trying too hard" or peacocking is just his way of creating original content for readers. Frankly, there are few menswear blogs that create original content, and Dan's has found a bit of a niche in doing it. If he were to just focus on how a jacket and pair of pants should fit, he'd have enough content for about two days (and many more competitors). His style tips are just a way for him to create a unique content niche. I personally enjoy his write ups.

But seriously, how are people who put fancy silk pocket squares in every SC accusing this guy of "trying too hard" or peacocking? I really enjoy this forum and think there are some really stylish posters, but this is quite the kettle calling the pot black.

Nobody knocked w.o.e. this hard for his Astor jacket, which was just as slim as Dan's fits. There were a few comments, but we all (rightfully) recognized that it worked for w.o.e. and he looked incredibly stylish. The same goes for Dan.

Also, let's use a bit more imagination and complexity for what looks good. The focus on fit is getting to be a bit fascist. There's a lot more to style than removing a divot.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even Manton said he thinks Dan dresses well and is very stylish - even to NYC standards. In fact, I think Manton went so far to say that he wished he had Dan's vision and eye for style when he was Dan's age.
devil.gif

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Well, regardless of what it is called, fit is something that is looked at first and foremost, followed by the overall style of an outfit. I am not endorsing either approach, merely observing and reporting. Also, you might want to dial it back just a click or two. I think there were quite a few of us who were supportive of the guy in this thread. Mike Mike
Mike I am not angry at all, apologies for coming off as it but it gets tiring reading such close-mindedness all of the time. I know that you weren't being one of those who were clearly hating. But believe me, I have read so much **** talking on here and finally had enough to vent out my say. I only added you to my quote because I found it funny, literally that what is known as a style forum, heavily (if not overly) focuses on fit and not style. While I hate things fitting incorrectly, I would still disagree with you that it is what people look at first and foremost. You could have the greatest fitting outfit ever but if none of it goes together than it's crap. Don't get me wrong, fit is very, very important, but putting it all together and it looking good is much more important in my book. I can't say that there were that many supporters before my post, there were a few and but mostly snarky comments. This is not the first time he has been mentioned though and been bashed. It just gets old.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx for the lead, OP. Checked his very pleasant blog. I will return. Nice to see a smile with a bend at the waist.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred

Nobody knocked w.o.e. this hard for his Astor jacket, which was just as slim as Dan's fits. There were a few comments, but we all (rightfully) recognized that it worked for w.o.e. and he looked incredibly stylish. The same goes for Dan.

Also, let's use a bit more imagination and complexity for what looks good. The focus on fit is getting to be a bit fascist. There's a lot more to style than removing a divot.

I agree. I loved w.o.e's recent pics, despite the SC appearing small. I personally would take style over perfect fit any day. However, in combination it can be even better.

Mike I am not angry at all, apologies for coming off as it but it gets tiring reading such close-mindedness all of the time. I know that you weren't being one of those who were clearly hating. But believe me, I have read so much **** talking on here and finally had enough to vent out my say. I only added you to my quote because I found it funny, literally that what is known as a style forum, heavily (if not overly) focuses on fit and not style.

While I hate things fitting incorrectly, I would still disagree with you that it is what people look at first and foremost. If you could have the greatest fitting outfit ever but if none of it goes together than it's crap. Don't get me wrong, fit is very, very important, but putting it all together and it looking good is much more important in my book.

I also agree with you. However, as one who has both sought out opinions on fit quality, and been critiqued on such, I am that much more concerned with it now.....

That seems to be the direction you get moved in over here, unless you come in from the get-go with stupendous fit quality (and there have been several that fall into this category) or such a great sense of personal style (again, I can think of a few right off the top of my head) that this becomes less of a concern.

At the end of the day, I would rather be considered as someone who has style, than someone who has perfectly fitting clothes. Unfortunately, I am probably not considered either by the vast majority.
lol8[1].gif

Dan has style and the way his clothes fit are "modern," and by modern, I mean more trendy than classic. I will venture a guess that as he ages, that will relax a little and the blend will come together even better.

There is a reason why he won the BDRM contest...and that is because he appealed to the masses with his young and current wardrobe, and the way he pulled it off. Whereas someone like Foo, while wearing clothes that were better fitting, and higher quality, lacked that connection with the voters.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads