• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite repairs central London

prospero1b

Reaction score
I need a new pair of Dainite heels. Can anyone recommend a cobbler in central London (preferably SW1) who works with Dainite?

TheBookie

Reaction score
George's shoe repairs
Address: 35 Tottenham St, Fitzrovia, London W1T 4RT

You won't find a nicer or more reasonable man to deal with, he regularly works on high end footwear including Viberg. Worth travelling for even in the present circumstances. Thank me later.

Will second this. He's only 5 mins away from Goodge Street Station (maybe 7 if you're enjoying the stroll) and would no doubt appreciate the business. I certainly know that the changes in the neighbourhood are having an impact and small local businesses have got more challenging times to come.

Satmoche

Reaction score
I really had a bad experience with George Shoe Repair, about a year ago.
I asked them to put a dainite sole on a pair of oxfords and the work was really sloppy considering the price - £80 if I am not mistaken. I actually thought that I was being dramatic and showed them to a sales rep at Crockett & Jones on that same day, and they shared my opinion.

I just hope that I was that unfortunate customer, as mistakes do happen.

TheBookie

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I really had a bad experience with George Shoe Repair, about a year ago.
I asked them to put a dainite sole on a pair of oxfords and the work was really sloppy considering the price - £80 if I am not mistaken. I actually thought that I was being dramatic and showed them to a sales rep at Crockett & Jones on that same day, and they shared my opinion.

I just hope that I was that unfortunate customer, as mistakes do happen.

Sorry to hear about that. Any chance you could share some pics of the work?

Satmoche

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20200713_122743.jpg
    20200713_122743.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Satmoche

Reaction score
No excuses there for that poor quality of work. I do hope you were an exception. Did you manage to get it fixed?

I did not bother coming to the shop. I thought that if this was the state of the shoe when being returned, then surely they would be proud of it and it would reflect their usual quality of work.
I was actually looking for another cobbler in central London other than them. I think that there was one in Pall Mall but I cannot find it anymore.

Last edited:

TheBookie

Reaction score
No excuses there for that poor quality of work. I do hope you were an exception. Did you manage to get it fixed?

I did not bother coming to the shop. I thought that if this was the state of the shoe when being returned, then surely they would be proud of it and it would reflect their usual quality of work.
I was actually looking for another cobbler in central London other than them. I think that there was one in Pall Mall but I cannot find it anymore.
[/QUOTE]

I imagine you're referring to Tony's. Sadly the shop in Crown Passage (off Pall Mall) has since closed. They now operate in Kentish Town (1 Wolsey Mews, NW5 2DX). Tony's a good man with solid rep for his work.

Satmoche

Reaction score
I imagine you're referring to Tony's. Sadly the shop in Crown Passage (off Pall Mall) has since closed. They now operate in Kentish Town (1 Wolsey Mews, NW5 2DX). Tony's a good man with solid rep for his work.

Tony's, that is the one! I really liked their work,very reasonably priced and great results.
Other than George Shoe Repairs, are there other cobblers really worth it in Central London?

TheBookie

Reaction score
Tony's, that is the one! I really liked their work,very reasonably priced and great results.
Other than George Shoe Repairs, are there other cobblers really worth it in Central London?

In my experience, there's really nobody left in central London except for George's. It really is just Tony's and Koko's.

TheBookie

Reaction score
That is odd, considering that London is such a big city and English shoes being so respected.

Sadly I think English shoes in Londoner's wardrobes let alone quality in general. Also, much easier for some to go to say a Timpson's or the local dry cleaner/locksmith who also does shoe repairs. You may also want to give the site a search for other London cobblers. I think I recall a thread which mentioned a list of reputable ones but not sure how up to date it is now...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads