• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That particular shoe liner had a very short period of use. My best guess is late 49 to about 1953. I am running around in circles these days, but I have been preparing a post on Dacks shoe-liners where I will spell out the data behind my assertion. As Ken says, those are great shoes. I have an identical pair but not in nearly as nice condition.

Before 49 the shoe liners would have used the old Dacks scipt logo. After circa 1953 Dacks was using the shoe liner pictured below,

View attachment 1181003

We need that post, post haste! Do you disagree with anything I just posted, above?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your outline is generally useful, however I have gathered info on at least 19 different Dacks shoe liners. I have been putting my Hartts and sole into it. I promise to get the info out soon. I know how people love the liner notes.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
After a series of disastrous setbacks with my phone AND laptop, I am back online and mostly recovered.
I'm surprised at how little I've missed over the past two months or so!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
After a series of disastrous setbacks with my phone AND laptop, I am back online and mostly recovered.
I'm surprised at how little I've missed over the past two months or so!

Hip Hip Hooray! Glad to have you back, LG! jiqea and I were a bit worried about you. We just couldn't keep up the great content rate without you around. Post us some shoes!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a craft show and finally got to see Paul Brodie boots and their jackets.

All items made in Canada. The boots look a lot like Blundstones. But rubber soles are really cheap. Made by Mellow Walk in Toronto, which mostly produces safety boots. For 199, I'd look at other brands.

The jackets mirror Barbour style. Waxed jackets for fall and spring. The quality control is horrific. Loose strings everywhere. Stitching wasn't straight. For $525, I'd rather wait for Barbour sale.

Sad that I can't support their business.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Well, I've been mostly otherwise occupied for a while, but I did make some more progress on that old pair of McHale 51306 Captoe Bluchers I'd been working on back in March...

When I last posted, I'd stripped all the grime and old polish from both shoes and had the moisture back in the leather. To recap, they started as this...

McHale 51306 Brown Captoe Blucher LGg.JPG

McHale 51306 Brown Captoe Blucher LGh.JPG

...and progressed to this...

McHale 51306 Brown Captoe Blucher LGr.JPG

I wore them around the house for days wondering what to do about the colour and the damage to the toes that could still be seen quite clearly. I decided I'd try a drastic experiment and actually cut out the damage and sanded the toes to smooth them again and remove the spotty colour!

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LG2b.jpg

I'd already decided I'd like to get them back as close to their original colour as possible, so I'd hit Amazon and ordered a few shades of cream I thought might be combined to accomplish my goal.

The final result was this...

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LG2c.JPG

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LG2g.JPG

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LG2h.JPG

The damage can still be seen if one looks closely, but it is vastly better than before and I'm pretty certain I could make it close to perfect if I try again. I'd have continued sanding until all traces of the original colour was gone as that is what made it difficult to make consistent.

After the colour was right, I applied multiple layers of neutral polish to protect the colour and the leather.

McHale 51306 Brown Captoe Blucher LGf.JPG

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LG2f.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ritchie shoes for nephew's baptism.

IMG_20190526_105016.jpg

IMG_20190526_105024.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics