• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

thefringthing

Reaction score
Found a pair of black water buffalo wholecut oxfords recently. Fit like 10s, let me know if anyone wants them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Reaction score
I'd say that's a better-than-fair guess. Have we seen any diamonds with the earlier logo?

I also notice there were at least three patterns to the broguing on the toes over time. Two are above and this example from the VSA site:

View attachment 1186916
The U-wings don't show up until post '55, and therefore are well after the change to the modern logo. The funky script logo on the sole is quite different from the original script logo, and is neither fish nor fowl. It shows up on the soles of the better quality Dacks throughout the 50's. It may date earlier, however there is a lack of data. I have never seen a pre-50s Diamond tag.

Jiqea

Reaction score

lbgradwell

Reaction score
The U-wings don't show up until post '55, and therefore are well after the change to the modern logo. The funky script logo on the sole is quite different from the original script logo, and is neither fish nor fowl. It shows up on the soles of the better quality Dacks throughout the 50's. It may date earlier, however there is a lack of data. I have never seen a pre-50s Diamond tag.
Interesting. How did you establish the 1955 date, Jim?

So you'd say the new brown U-tips were from the latter half of the 1950s or maybe the 1960s?

Jiqea

Reaction score
Interesting. How did you establish the 1955 date, Jim?

So you'd say the new brown U-tips were from the latter half of the 1950s or maybe the 1960s?
I have been digging around in my notes, and the U-wing Cambridge shoe first appears in adverts in 1959 as a "Bespoke Quality" offering. This makes sense, as before 59 Dacks used the S.E. Dacks designation for its top-line shoes (through most of the 50's). IMO the Zebu U-wings should not date much earlier than 59. Here are my two pairs. @Paul902 you should show us yours!

Attachments

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John McHales in cherry. New heels, topy, and toe plate.

Attachments

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents! As we head into the quintessential Canadian XL Weekend, Canada Day followed by Dack's Day (tell me you know about that!!), I thought it prudent to head into the urban wilderness in search of some Canadiana.

Shod for the 30 C heat in my Dack's weave cap toes

I stopped at an out of the way haunt and was rewarded with a pair of 13D hand sewn vamp Pa2O3 derbies. The overcast lighting in this picture is not doing anything for them, but they will clean up nicely, thank you! @Jiqea I'll send you the coding for the spreadsheet when the ambient lighting improves.

This was, however, not before stopping at my M&B kiosk, where I am a regular, to score a couple pair of vintage Canadian laces. He has a few pairs of NOS he got from a military shoe place that closed up. Many nice flat, coloured casual laces, too. These "Tex-Style" are very much like Cordo-Hyde, and the Braidlace are non-waxed. Check it out!

At my last stop there was a very nice pair of 7.5F NOS wingtip loafers, the hand waxed finish. As they were a bit spendy, and not my size, I let 'em be.

I emerged from the last store to find the clouds had finally said, "Uncle!" to the increasing heat and humidity, and were unleashing a torrent, a TORRENT, of rain. Safely home, after a brief power outage, and much thunder, I have repaired to a cold half litre of Nova Scotia's finest Propeller IPA. Get it inta ya! Cheers, and Happy Canada Day weekend!!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.