• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience I dont think these were ever sold to the public, just for RCMP use. Also the inner markings are defiantly Hartt/Dack's, I think likely a cobbler just put in the church's on the bottom, perhaps to make an easier sale...maybe a way of getting rid of all the shoes I have...

Well, the public can order the boots now from the Alberta Boot Co., and there is no evidence that there were anything other than the Church's liners in these boots. I suppose some nefarious cobbler with a handy supply of mint Church's shoe socks could have done the deed. But if his goal was a quick sale, then he didn't succeed.

Both our explanations are admittedly "just so stories", however, given the fact that Church's owned Hartts, I suspect the boots left the factory as we see them today. There is also the Church's price tag on the sole of the boots. Not DNA evidence to be sure, but it is something. I agree 100% that these boots were made by Hartt's as all the markings are quite clear, and they are branded as made in Canada on the upper interior, and the packaging material is similarly labelled.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made Florsheim by John McHale on a very cold day. These PTBs are made from antelope.

7ED98BC6-CACB-451A-8759-BC0C2788FC8E.jpeg

952C14FA-0C9E-4BFC-9B39-08F8A6711365.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

step_hen

Reaction score
After finally getting properly fitted for shoes I been on a bit of a buying spree practically on the used market. I recently stumbled on some Dack's and a search took me back here when trying to determine the size of a pair on ebay.

The posting has the pair listed as a 9, you posted some useful information about decoding the size, but I am still not sure if these would work for me. The pair has the numbers numbers 7840 9 and 87 on the next line. I think that may be 7 for ee but I am confused about the 840.

I take a 9eee on AE 65 last and 9.5eee or 9eee on Bostonian or Florsheim made in the US pairs.

Do you think this pair would work?

Listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dacks-Size...Oxford-Dress-Shoes-Bicycle-Brown/264095798228

Many thanks for your help!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The size is not indicated by the numbers shown. The 78## indicates brown camel (or at least numerous pairs of my brown camels have that 78## marking. There would have been a 3 or 4 digit number in front of these numbers indicating size, but it has apparently worn away. Some Dacks also used a number and letter to indicate size). The 9 definitely does not indicate the size (I am still trying to figure out exactly what it indicates; style I think). You would need to request measurements to see if these shoes would fit you.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After finally getting properly fitted for shoes I been on a bit of a buying spree practically on the used market. I recently stumbled on some Dack's and a search took me back here when trying to determine the size of a pair on ebay.

The posting has the pair listed as a 9, you posted some useful information about decoding the size, but I am still not sure if these would work for me. The pair has the numbers numbers 7840 9 and 87 on the next line. I think that may be 7 for ee but I am confused about the 840.

I take a 9eee on AE 65 last and 9.5eee or 9eee on Bostonian or Florsheim made in the US pairs.

Listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dacks-Size...Oxford-Dress-Shoes-Bicycle-Brown/264095798228

And welcome to the Dacks thread!!! Be sure to show us any other Canadian vintage shoes you have acquired here, and the Dress Shoe Appreciation thread has a great group of knowledgeable, funny and stylish regulars.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The size is not indicated by the numbers shown. The 78## indicates brown camel (or at least numerous pairs of my brown camels have that 78## marking. There would have been a 3 or 4 digit number in front of these numbers indicating size, but it has apparently worn away. Some Dacks also used a number and letter to indicate size). The 9 definitely does not indicate the size (I am still trying to figure out exactly what it indicates; style I think). You would need to request measurements to see if these shoes would fit you.

Thanks Jiqea, I will contact the seller for measurements and compare to my other pars to at least get an idea.

Welcome! I am either 8.5/9eee for most AE lasts.

For vintage shoes, I can even do 9e for vintage Florsheim.

For Canadian brands, I can do 8.5F, 8.5G, 8.5H, 9F, and 9G.

I am doubtful these shoes will work for you. Never ever rely on measurements.

Get in touch with @mariusscott as he has an etsy store, and will hook you up.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/ScotkinVintage?ref=l2-shopheader-name

In fact, this pair of Dacks should work for you, as they are 9F:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/663997085/dacks-custom-grade-cornwall-black-smooth?ref=hp_opfy-2

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been a little quiet on the thread so I thought I would kick things off by posting this pair of black Prarie Oxhide Dacks that I found at the local thrift store. One shoe was on the rack and the other was about 40 feet away under the women's dresses! Nice shoes in OK condition, with a recent half re-sole and new heels. Also shown is my new stocking stuffer Dack's dollar!

Black Prarie Ox.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also stumbled across this pair of H.H. Brown's. H.H. Brown was founded near Boston, Massachusetts in 1883, and have been owned by Berkshire Hathaway for the last 25 years. In Canada they produced shoes at their factory in Sherbrooke, QC., which is where these cap-toe Oxfords were made (qualifying them for this thread!). In NOS condition and in my size. I think I will put a high shine on the toes.

HH Browns.jpg

hh brown liner.jpg

HH Bown tag.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also stumbled across this pair of H.H. Brown's. H.H. Brown was founded near Boston, Massachusetts in 1883, and have been owned by Berkshire Hathaway for the last 25 years. In Canada they produced shoes at their factory in Sherbrooke, QC., which is where these cap-toe Oxfords were made (qualifying them for this thread!). In NOS condition and in my size. I think I will put a high shine on the toes.

View attachment 1102181

View attachment 1102182

View attachment 1102184

Clean off that horseshoe, and share with the brothers!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made Kamik William.

ED1CB263-E31E-471F-B1CD-4B90D87FC8EC.jpeg

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped in Belleville last night on my way home and picked up these Dacks Prairie Oxhide shoes. They were completely dried out and looked awful and were priced at $13.00. I have been nourishing them and they are starting to show some promise for casual wear. I am pleased with the shoes and am glad I grabbed them. I added the wider waxed laces to add some character.

View attachment 1097620

I have been looking for a pair in my size. The quintessential Dacks model.

I have the identical pair! I have been waiting for some mid-brown shoe cream to show up before reconditioning, and posting them. I agree, makes a very nice casual shoe.

the Dress Shoe Appreciation thread has a great group of knowledgeable, funny, good looking, smart and stylish regulars.
FIFY

Canadian made Kamik William.

View attachment 1102742

I love how dirty those are. Proper thing!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are after some Bick 1/4, shoe cream, sole waterproofing, and brushing. 1984 model. The Biltrite heels are fairly worn, but for $5 + product, these are a treat! (I got them on a VV 1/2 price day, and also had a $2 survey coupon). So freaking comfortable. I even got a complement on them when I wore them before cleaning them up.
IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5185.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads