1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rampart, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

I love my pair. But I am feeling hard done by as I paid $13.00!!!!! Those look wonderful Paul. Every time I put mine on it makes me think I should be in law school. or lecturing in archaeology.

2. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

@suitforcourt is not allowed to crash our thrifting dates until he gets himself a pair! ;)

3. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Here is the same shoe in Camel. Double soled, 7 nail beauties! They just arrived today from BC. As @suitforcourt pointed out, when you think Dacks, this is the shoe! Especially with the exotic leather.

CD shoes.jpg

CD soles.jpg

CD code.jpg

4. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

Those are so gorgeous!! Your size, too, right? Hey, do we know if any of those numbers indicate a certain last? Did Dack's have a lot of different lasts over the years?

5. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

I am building a data base right now, and a few patterns are beginning to emerge. I have some more data entry to do and then I will fire it over to you. Your mathematical mind will be of great use.

At 10.5 B they are a bit narrow.

6. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I'll send you the coding out of all my Dack's. We'll put our best Bletchley Park minds to work...

7. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

That may take a while! 8.5G/9F/9G are very hard to come by.

When I am in Ottawa next, I will message you gents. There are 4 guys in that area who are into vintage shoes. We could all meet up and have a thrifting bonanza.

8. lbgradwell

lbgradwell Member

Ottawa must be Canada's epicentre for the thrifty, but well-shod gentleman...

9. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I've got two pair of Canadian made Kamik's. Normal rubber boots that are 30+ yrs old, and these insulated ones I was buying the day I met @Jiqea at VV in the shoe aisle. I was wearing them today but thought the black was too formal for the occasion, so I changed into my not-oft discussed Norwegian Zip Bals.
    IMG_5207.JPG

And just to keep it Dack's and CM...on the way home I scored these water bison numbers!

IMG_5211.JPG IMG_5210.JPG

10. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Between your camels and water bisons, and my camels. antelopes and water bisons, we are going to have to get together at a local watering hole and talk shoes.

11. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

Is Ottawa just the home of thrifting for Dacks???????

12. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

You know it!!

13. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

Ha! I just got that! I guess we don't need to worry about any shell because "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." ;)

14. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

But you can find many a horse's ass in bar.

15. Jiqea

Jiqea Senior Member

Here is a pair of Dacks Water Bison split toe, apron derbies that I cleaned up over the past two days (before and after). These exotic leathers just never seem to die. Wonderful "Bespoke Quality" shoes with hidden Goodyear welted soles. 9C. We are lucky in Canada to have so many exotic leather shoes available to us.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg