• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wonder if those folks are taking mail in business now, but keeping their doors locked. I will phone around. The fellow in London is located about one big city block from the old McHale factory. I would go with JR soles on these and try to source a pair of vintage cat's paws heels. McHale put Cat's Paws on their shoes from the factory if you didn't want nails. I have seen three NOS John McHale Custom pairs with Cat's Paws (70's vintage).

So Martin is not accepting mail in right now. I believe the others are. All of the mentioned cobblers have cat paws. I really like CP. The nostalgic value and the placebo effect where I believe I am getting better grip.

Try calling Dan at Heels n soles in Sudbury. If not, try Corey Hiltz at Fix em up shoe repair in Barrie. I believe both are accepting mail in.

Gary in London - not sure if he is accepting mail in. Never hurts to ask.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Martin is not accepting mail in right now. I believe the others are. All of the mentioned cobblers have cat paws. I really like CP. The nostalgic value and the placebo effect where I believe I am getting better grip.

Try calling Dan at Heels n soles in Sudbury. If not, try Corey Hiltz at Fix em up shoe repair in Barrie. I believe both are accepting mail in.

Gary in London - not sure if he is accepting mail in. Never hurts to ask.
I will do that. Elephant McHales! They remind me of the old joke..... Why did the Elephant paint its toenails red? So it could hide in the strawberry patch.

I wont be hiding in those shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will do that. Elephant McHales! They remind me of the old joke..... Why did the Elephant paint its toenails red? So it could hide in the strawberry patch.

I wont be hiding in those shoes.

Just chatted with Gary in London. He is not accepting mail in right now. He will accept mail to his house, but he won't work on them until he reopens.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just chatted with Gary in London. He is not accepting mail in right now. He will accept mail to his house, but he won't work on them until he reopens.

Dan and Corey will accept mail in right now, but won't start work until province allows them to reopen.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of one that got away. They are the early 1950's Dacks Custom Grade "Viscount". It has the early three digit style code. The advert is from 1952. Pretty rare shoes.

image0.jpeg

1952 The Viscount.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up two nice pairs of Dacks Antelope whole-cuts today. The smaller pair should fit me. I also got a very nice pair of early 60's Hartt's with correct shoe-trees, Size 10.5E. My shoe buying budget is blown for the year, but the time to buy is when you see them, so I couldn't resist.

IMG_1119 (004).jpg

IMG_1117 (003).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up two nice pairs of Dacks Antelope whole-cuts today. The smaller pair should fit me. I also got a very nice pair of early 60's Hartt's with correct shoe-trees, Size 10.5E. My shoe buying budget is blown for the year, but the time to buy is when you see them, so I couldn't resist.

View attachment 1373827

View attachment 1373826

All 3 pairs are amazing. The whole cuts in particular are extremely handsome.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would provide a little more detail on the most recent pair of Strathcona boots that I acquired. I haven't seen a pair quite like this before and I think they date to just before the Hartt era of manufacture, which began in 1974. They have the style of Biltrite heels that date to the late 60's and 70's, so I don't think they are much earlier.

From what I understand, MacFarlane and Levaivre of Montreal made the high browns from the early 50's through to 1974. I have seen at least 5 pairs of the Mac & L boots from the 50's and they were each stamped "Mac & L" along with the year of their manufacture on the soles near the waist. These boots have no manufacturer markings, and the coding style used in the interior uppers is not one that I recognize. Their triple soles are also unusual in that the down-stitching is hidden in a channel which has been chased along the circumference of the soles by small nails. They also have the "free" upper side flap, which was fixed in place on the Hartt boots, and the leather is the pebbled top grain typical of earlier boots as well as the early Hartt boots. Later Hartt and Canada West made boots used smooth calf.

Given the above I presume that these boots provide an example of the later MacFarlane and Levaivre boots from the late 60's or early 70's.

IMG_4436.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hartt PTBs in prairie oxhide. I have the matching pair in black.
20200424_155954.jpg
20200424_160000.jpg
20200424_160005.jpg

I much prefer Florsheim's PTB design, but these are really comfortable.

mackbrad

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone in here talking about revisiting Bally shoes. I just got a pair from a seller in Montreal, and they don;t look too shabby. Made in Switzerland by an Italian cobbler. They even have Goodyear welted soles. Thoughts?

nikolau

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone in here talking about revisiting Bally shoes. I just got a pair from a seller in Montreal, and they don;t look too shabby. Made in Switzerland by an Italian cobbler. They even have Goodyear welted soles. Thoughts?

In my eyes it really depends on what you paid for them. I don’t think Bally fall apart at the seams and at some price points might represent an amazing value, but they don’t seem to represent a good value at MSRP. They are priced to compete head to head with firms like C&J, Bontoni, Alden, Santoni, Dinkelacker, etc. That’s stiff competition.

At $800 USD I’d much rather have shell Aldens or H-Dinkelacker’s “extravagant” (their term) longwings, but that’s a matter of taste. I don’t think Bally are “built” like I’d expect of a shoe that’s just so expensive. Then again, I buy basically all my shoes used so perhaps someone older (and therefore wiser) is better equipped to comment.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My late grandpa only wore Bally. Be careful as there are different lines of quality. The best ones are Swiss made. Some of the Italian made ones are cheap.

I personally prefer Goodyear welted shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The matching black pair of Hartt PTBs in prairie oxhide. Black looks slimmer for some reason. When the time comes, I will ask cobbler to replace with double leather soles.
20200425_160915.jpg
20200425_160926.jpg
20200425_160935.jpg

mackbrad

Reaction score
Yeah - these are Swiss. I'll post some pics in a bit.
As promised. Never bought Ballys before, but took a chance on a low-ball eBay bid and so far am impressed. Shines up nice and they feel great. The brass plate on the sole is a nice touch.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 13

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads