• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Stoney

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. They have 10.5F but no 11E so may try that 10.5F. as long as the F still means the same width as it used to i should be OK.

Bjorling

Reaction score
I came across an older pair of Dacks that are likely from the early 1980s. The name "Dacks" is in cursive script and the leather is described as "Imported Harra Calf." Does anyone know anything about this shoe and the leather?

tonylamer

Reaction score
For the thread: kangaroo shortwings. I've built up a substantial collection of Dack's; out of necessity, at first, as a penniless student buying in Goodwill basements; now strictly as a collector stopping in at thrift stores on weekends. These are up there with my Prairie Oxhide apron-toe bluchers as my favourite exotics. (Sadly my bison longwings fell apart years ago.)

Can any of the old thread regulars explain the meaning of "custom grade"? I have custom-grade Dack's with nail waists and without; welted and not welted; lined and 1/2-lined. Would there have been any reason for the difference in construction?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are Brown Kudu Antelope, with the one piece upper . The size is 8 1/2 F or double E .

8.5F is not a double E fitting it is single E. Like a widish US "D" width fitting.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These are Brown Kudu Antelope, with the one piece upper . The size is 8 1/2 F or double E .

8.5F is not a double E fitting it is single US "E". Like a widish US "D" width fitting.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm a little confused here. I own an older pair of black Dacks Longwings (made by Cheany in 11B) from about eight years ag. Is the relaunched Matthew Dack online store offering shoes in UK or North American sizing because they are using the British designation for widths (E, F and G)? Should I be sizing down a half or full size. Honestly the shoes are nice but not a lot of clarity regarding sizing.

COLONEL77

Reaction score
YOU MIGHT BE BEST ADVISED TO CONTACT THE NEW MATTHEW DACK WEBPAGE TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT SIZING AS BELIEVE THEY MENTION IT SOMEWHERE ON THEIR WEBPAGE ...

FAILING THAT SEND THEM AN EMAIL AS THEY ARE LOOKING FOR BUSINESS SO WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

COLONEL77

Reaction score
ADDITIONALLY, YOU MAY WISH TO ADJUST YOUR TAG LINE ON BOTTOM AS IT IS ' BUELLER ' not ' BEULLER '.

COLONEL77

Reaction score
tonylamer - THERE ARE A NUMBER OF STAMPINGS TO BE FOUND IN DACK'S HEEL SOCKS AND ON SOLES, SUCH AS ' S.E. DACK ', ' BESPOKE ', ALONG WITH SOME OTHERS ...

' CUSTOM GRADE ' WAS THE STANDARD LINE FOR MOST DACK'S MODELS, THEREFORE YOU WILL FIND MORE OF THAT LABELING THAN ALL OTHERS.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Colonel77,

Got the message loud and clear, you didn't have to type in bold and in caps at the same time unless you want to come across loudmouth know it all. I asked a legit question.

Bill

Last edited:

tonylamer

Reaction score
Thanks, Colonel. Can you explain the difference in quality (if any) between the "bespoke" stampings and the "extra quality" or "custom grade" stampings? Was there a line of Dack's that was internally classified as its highest level of quality? And what would the difference be in terms of construction?

For the thread: Dack's Prairie Oxhide derbies:

COLONEL77

Reaction score
BILL SMITH - SORRY YOU ARE INSULTED - HOWEVER, IF YOU READ BACK TO INITIAL POSTS YOU WILL SEE REASON WHY EVERYTHING IS IN UPPERS / BOLD - THANK YOU - COLONEL77

COLONEL77

Reaction score
tonylamer - THE NAME S.E. DACK WAS FOR THE TOP OF THE LINE MODELS, BEING SHOES OF THE VERY BEST MATERIALS TO THE HIGHEST QUALITY STANDARDS -

BESPOKE IS ANOTHER WORD FOR MADE - TO - ORDER / MADE - TO - MEASURE, WHICH DACKS PRODUCED FOR MANY YEARS UNTIL THE 1970s - FOR A DEFINITION IT MIGHT BE GOOD TO LOOK THIS UP AS IT WAS A COMMON TERM IN TAILOR MADE SUITINGS AND ALSO MEANS A CUSTOM BUILD WHEN REFERRING TO THINGS LIKE SHOES ALONG WITH MANY OTHER MADE TO ORDER ITEMS.

THE MAJORITY OF ALL DACK'S AND HARTT'S MODELS FELL INTO THE CUSTOM GRADE CATEGORY.

HOWEVER, DACK'S AND HARTT'S WERE THE TWO VERY BEST SHOE MANUFACTURERS IN THE HISTORY OF SHOE MAKING IN CANADA, SO ALL MODELS WERE TURNED OUT TO THE VERY HIGHEST STANDARDS AND WERE MADE FROM THE VERY BEST QUALITY LEATHERS, NO MATTER THE MODEL.

ONE FINAL ITEM, MANY TODAY ARE NOT AWARE OF, IS THAT DACK'S WAS BEGUN IN 1834 MAKING IT THE 7th OLDEST CONTINUING BUSINESS IN THE HISTORY OF CANADA, STARTING 33 YEARS BEFORE CONFEDERATION AND REMAINING IN OPERATION UNTIL CLOSING OUT IN 2009. - COLONEL77

martinottawa

Reaction score

Ok I'm a little confused here. I own an older pair of black Dacks Longwings (made by Cheany in 11B) from about eight years ag. Is the relaunched Matthew Dack online store offering shoes in UK or North American sizing because they are using the British designation for widths (E, F and G)? Should I be sizing down a half or full size. Honestly the shoes are nice but not a lot of clarity regarding sizing.

The Matthew Dack shoes use US sizing. F width is regular width.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Matthew Dack shoes use US sizing. F width is regular width.

Ok so I got this straight, North American sizing as in I'm a 11 in Allen Edmonds so I'm also 11 in Matthew Dack but instead of a D it's a F as in UK widths?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads