• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't want to hijack the Dacks thread but...
Has anyone heard of the Tyrol Shoe Co. of Montreal? They seem to have gone out of business in '86 and I found a photo online (at the Bata Shoe Museum) of a ski boot they made in 1945.
I found a really nice pair of vintage balmoral boots. They are very well made and one treatment of Lexol Conditioner kicked some life into them.

Use Pecards instead of Lexol.

Martin B

Reaction score
My picture shows what are probably my all-time favorite pair of Hartt's: For fit, style, and color. They are Style #0900 and built on #48 Last. I bought them a good 20 years ago, maybe more, at the Sales Office attached to the Hartt factory in Fredericton. The heel sock shows: Directors Quality - Hartt - Since 1898 - Canada's Quality Shoemakers - Hand-Waxed Finish. Because of this type of finish, the spit and polish routine is unnecessary. I just use shoe cream on them. Note how the absence of pinking lends an elegant air to what are essentially full wingtip brogues. As we've said many times before, it's a sad state of affairs that we have to scurry around looking in every nook and cranny for survivors of such beautiful footwear.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My picture shows what are probably my all-time favorite pair of Hartt's: 

FTFY
Hopefully the image loads now. I hope you are using shoe trees for this pair. This finish never photographs right. I agree they are nice shoes and look better in real life. Welcome to Stylefoum Martin.

Last edited:

Spinaway84

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of "new" Dacks anniversary shoes...and wonder if you can help me decifer the numbering (and sizing)
685 2331 6
7805 62 82
Thanks

Bjorling

Reaction score
I recently saw a pair of Dacks that looked to be circa mid or early 1980s with the following on the insole "Imported Zebu Grain" -- I forgot to take a picture, the leather was chestnut and pebble-like.

Does anyone have any information about these shoes??

daxman

Reaction score
This was one of the classic Dacks. It was a double soled brogue with a U wing. Very unique. A shoe like this sometimes lasted the customer for decades, if they were properly rebuilt by us when needed. Interesting note : the original leather was known as " scotch grain " and came from the Albion leatherworks factory , in Scotland. Daxman.

Stoney

Reaction score
Hi - I was very pleased to see that Dack's is still around via post. I am going to order but I am a bit confused about the size and wonder if anyone has some advice please..

Normally I wear a 10.5 or sometimes need an 11 if too tight

My black dufferins are getting cracks after about 3 re-sole/rebuilds.

Inside they say 2003/D 11 1/2 T18977. They also say made in England 06/08 30913. I think they fit like a 10.5 because they were narrow...

My tan Seneca's are a 10 1/2 F and feel slightly larger than the black ones...also say made in England. They fit well.

Both pairs were bought here in Canada at Dack's stores but I am just wondering if the shoes were stamped with North American sized or British sized.

daxman

Reaction score
Your pair with # s starting 2003 were 111/2 D ( medium width) and the others were 101/2 F ( extra wide or EE ). This second pair would be slightly wider by about 1/16 inch --if all other properties are equal. Different leather or last or length of wear --are all variables. In general, softer leather feels roomier and more comfortable per size .May I suggest , be wary of shorter , wider sizes. Try 11E if it is available. Daxman.

dacksfan1

Reaction score
Gentlemen, over the years, I purchased 5 pairs and still wear them. My last one is Seneca 10 D but find it a bit tight. Still not worn, brand new, in their pouches and original box. Still have the bill from Square One location. Can I exchange them? BTW my other pairs are10.5, 11 D. and 45. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads