• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I punched two additional holes as well, closer towards the outside of the false tongue, but on the same horizontal line as the two existing holes.

To curve it, I actually just used a can of wood stain as a template and cut around it with an exacto blade. I’d imagine a beer can would work all the same, haha

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@PACostag - that’s a great job, looks factory! Have you tried lacing them “under” the middle? I prefer it that way bc it holds the sides of the leather down and seems to do a better job holding it in place.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not, but I probably will at some point. The false tongue is actually growing on me, thankfully. I didn't intend on using it at all, but the red dog tongue is so darn thin that i'm quite confident it would rip pretty easily. it's 2, maybe 2.5 ounce weight leather so it really does need some extra protection unfortunately.

goalaso

Reaction score
Wasn't Baker's supposed to be offering some sort of early Black Friday sale today? I just see the same minimal sale that's been up for awhile (e.g. ~7% off BH)...

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Wasn't Baker's supposed to be offering some sort of early Black Friday sale today? I just see the same minimal sale that's been up for awhile (e.g. ~7% off BH)...

Yes, they sent out an email today. 10% off everything in the store, using "cyber19" discount code. They're advertsing it as "shop the Black Friday sale early", so I assume it is current right now.

Happy shopping!

goalaso

Reaction score
Yes, they sent out an email today. 10% off everything in the store, using "cyber19" discount code. They're advertsing it as "shop the Black Friday sale early", so I assume it is current right now.

Happy shopping!
Thanks! I guess I missed that email somehow

illumin8em

Reaction score
For anyone with Swing last experience. I've had to move up to EE width semi dress to accommodate an issue with one foot but the shape still won't work anymore. I'm finally considering the Swing last. Is the forefoot wide enough to negate the need for wider width? I understand that'd be on a case by case basis, but just wondered if anyone had the experience. Also, where are all the pics of Swing last and unstructured toe? And why the heck does everyone who goes with swing last seem to also get a toe cap?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of these absolutely gorgeous Main Street boots from White's. Holy cow are they fire. ? I love my Semi-Dress boots but it's great to see White's take the refinement thing just one step further. This is the British Tan CXL. Now I want a pair of the Otto Derby...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone with Swing last experience. I've had to move up to EE width semi dress to accommodate an issue with one foot but the shape still won't work anymore. I'm finally considering the Swing last. Is the forefoot wide enough to negate the need for wider width? I understand that'd be on a case by case basis, but just wondered if anyone had the experience. Also, where are all the pics of Swing last and unstructured toe? And why the heck does everyone who goes with swing last seem to also get a toe cap?
Kyle's advice was to go down a width from 55 to 38... precisely because the toe on the 38 is wider.

My feet have a narrow heel, wide forefoot, but low in height and instep volume... think flat duck feet.

Even though I went down a width, the shape of an 11.5E 38 swing feels wider than a 55 in 11.5EE to my toes.

But you are correct, it is a case by case basis... everyone's feet are different.

For me, I like a medallion toe cap to kind of "break up" the width of the last... plus the 38 Swing reminds me of the Munson last, which makes me think of WWII paratrooper boots, which had toe caps.

It just looks "right" to me. Bakers and White's must agree... is it a coincidence that their dedicated #38 Retro Semi Dress Americana is shown standard with a toe cap? I think not!

Last edited:

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
For me, I like a medallion toe cap to kind of "break up" the width of the last... plus the 38 Swing reminds me of the Munson last, which makes me think of WWII paratrooper boots, which had toe caps.

I had a copy of a corcoran jump boots made actually.

I have two pairs of the real thing, and these are like an exquisite version.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 201

TH3515

Reaction score
For anyone with Swing last experience. I've had to move up to EE width semi dress to accommodate an issue with one foot but the shape still won't work anymore. I'm finally considering the Swing last. Is the forefoot wide enough to negate the need for wider width?
The Swing last is definitely much wider around the toes. However, it's – again: significantly – narrower around the instep. Which is the the part that defines the fit. With my feet, the #38 locks the foot in place very precisely even before I tighten the laces, and the toebox might just as well have been cut off – it's almost not noticeable as it has enough clearance to not crush any of my toes. When I size a #55 last boot to give a similarly secure fit in the instep I would have to go at least one width down resulting in a toebox that's much too narrow.
So it'll depend on where exactly your foot issue is located. If you need more toe space, the 38 last would be highly recommended.
PS if you need more vertical toe space (as opposed to horizontal...) I think the 4811 last in a correct size would be even better.

discomute

Reaction score
Just took delivery of these absolutely gorgeous Main Street boots from White's. Holy cow are they fire. ? I love my Semi-Dress boots but it's great to see White's take the refinement thing just one step further. This is the British Tan CXL. Now I want a pair of the Otto Derby...

View attachment 1288065

Lovely! Can I ask when you placed your order? (I assume you're based in USA?)

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
Has anybody seen an MP build with an unstructured toe and a toe cap? I've seen lots of single celastic w/ toe cap and a couple unstructured w/ no toe cap, but none of what I'm looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads