• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@drewcandraw I do not think anybody was gonna tell you what you should do with the pair if you posted pictures. We are all adults here and get to make our own decisions based on flaws.

You yourself said that everybody has certain expectations with regards to build. So posting pictures help in the sense that they give us a chance to draw our own conclusions based on our expectations and not yours. Again not to tell you what to do with yours but to manage our own expectations if we ordered a pair.

Last edited:

b1lf

Reaction score
Yeah...this is the second time in a short period where someone has complained about quality, then not posted pics of the issue but instead posted unrelated photos or ones where we can't see the problem. It feels sort of like people realize that their issues with their boots might border on the nitpicky and are unwilling to be told to keep their boots.

I posted pics of mine. Just wanted to keep it positive in here........

iamntbatman

Reaction score
You did, after you were asked for them, yeah.

I didn't mean to be completely acidic in my tone in that post, for that I apologize. I completely get it, too, really; people are dropping enough money on a single pair of boots to cover rent in a lot of places, and if you're not as used to the finishing flaws that are part and parcel of handmade goods outside of a certain tier of obsessives (e.g. White Kloud) then you're going to be disappointed with cosmetic defects. People have maybe heard of the legendary customer service to be had through both White's and Baker's, and maybe want some support or validation for their complaints (thus sharing them on a message board like this in the first place) but are possibly a bit hesitant to share photos right away because, having read through the thread at all, they might be anticipating people saying they're nitpicking or telling them that White's makes handmade workboots, so these sorts of flaws are acceptable.

My boots have probably landed in Korea just about now, or will very soon. Hype!

b1lf

Reaction score
I have other boots that are handmade. And other goods that are handmade. I’m not partial to letting anyone, Whites included, to play that ‘excuse card’ without question just because they are handmade.

sambam

Reaction score
I have been addressing the quality issues in the factory. If the MP's are coming out spot on, then the rest of the boots should be too.
We warranty every boot and if anybody is not satisfied with their product they can return it for a new one. I know customers are excited to get their boots and wait up to 8 weeks and finally get them and they aren't up to par. That would be very disappointing. We are always working on improving White's boots to get them to the next level. It helps us to get the feedback on these types of forums even if it isn't always what I want to hear. Thanks for everyone's support of White's.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been addressing the quality issues in the factory.

@sambam

Thanks for the above.

If it is not too much to ask, can you explain a bit about QC inspection? If an error is made in manufacturing - either building the boot to the wrong spec (cut top v. rolled top, single welt stitch vs double) or in craftsmanship (uneven toe caps, uneven stitching, missing stitches) not only would the person building the boot have to deem it acceptable, but presumably the QC person as well... how much deviation do you permit before internally pulling the boot and sending it for a rebuild? What is your internal rejection rate if you will?

You touched on part of the problem... people pay lots of money for these boots sight unseen, and wait eagerly for 8 weeks for them to be built, and after all that, they have to act as QC for White's. Is it not true that every defect, large or small, made it through your manufacturing and QC department? All manufacturing companies have tolerances for what is acceptable and not... "go" and "no go" gauges if you will... the best of which are based on objective measurement, not subjective appraisal ("looks good enough").

I cannot speak for anyone else here, but I would rather the defect be caught at week 7, the boot fast-tracked for rebuilt, and receive a perfect boot at week 10, then get a defective boot at week 8, endure the disappointment, and have to wait another 4 weeks (shipping can be a killer on the east coast) to get a replacement that hopefully is right.

IMHO some of the complaints are picayune, but some are facepalm level... I can see it being very expensive if you accepted a return and rebuilt every pair that every customer in any way complained about... maybe you do... and if so I love you for it... but there must be a limit, no?

ultrark2004

Reaction score
Not much neither does Bakers receiving, I ordered these from Bakers a few years back. My feet are different sizes 8ee, 9 1/2 d, plus I ordered a celastic toe. These came non celastic with markings 8ee, 9 1/2ee. I called Bakers & they determined that the sizing was right but just mis stamped on size. I was excited about getting these so I kept them.Then I ordered the exact same boot in size & specs as these from Bakers from a different Spokane boot maker & they came with single row stitching rather than double row. Both Bakers & QC dept missed that one. Those got sent back but at that time the mfg was in the process of moving to another location & lost employees etc. It took 14 months to build those & they came with double row stitching but a non celastic toe that both missed again. Due to age it's hard to see the sizing stamps
IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Frizzleburger

Reaction score
Just received my HH Bounty Hunters from Bakers yesterday. The horsehide is amazing. Thicker than I thought it would be. Sizing is spot on. Came exactly as ordered. Can’t wait to break them in. They will be put to work as I work for the local telephone company. They will not be babied. Photos as they break in will soon follow.

3D404A2F-F333-49A8-8002-A5CF9E7FED92.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will be put to work as I work for the local telephone company. They will not be babied. Photos as they break in will soon follow.
Please do, I love pictures showing how work boots age as they actually are put to real work...

By the way... doesn't the horsehide smell great?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Very excited to see some wear on those horsehide BH. From what I've seen White's fans who do put some work on their boots, they still typically reserve horsehide for their dressier casual-wear boots instead of their rough workboots. But...tough leather, makes sense to use it for work!

mlwdp

Reaction score
Just curious, how many of you wear the 100 lug sole and don't use them for work? What was it like walking in soles? Are they flexible?

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Just curious, how many of you wear the 100 lug sole and don't use them for work? What was it like walking in soles? Are they flexible?

I do, but only when there's snow on the ground (that is to say, ~6 months a year). I don't think they are any less flexible or comfortable compared to, say, the #700 sole... Or maybe I'm just used to them.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not need them for my work and therefore no longer use them... I find they can get hard in low temps making them slippery in winter... they also track in huge clods of mud and dirt into the house... if you must have them and are concerned about comfort and flexibility, go with the honey Vibram... it is a little softer than the black in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads