• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score

Added a 4th pair. Just a few days over 4 weeks from order to door. I was nervous about the color, but it turned out just like I was hoping. Compared to the brown smooth and black, these are much softer. I'll have them broken in by the weekend ;) Custom White's Smoke Jumper: SKU: 400VLTT Last: Standard Toe Vamp Leather: Classic Brown Upper (Shaft) Leather: Classic Brown Height: 10" Counter Leather: Classic Brown Leather Liner: Cream Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap Toe Cap Leather Color: Classic Brown Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe Steel Toe: No Thanks Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks Top: Cut Top (standard) Midsole: Single Edge: Natural Sole: Vibram 430 Lace Design: Plain Toe The rest of the crew:
Wow, those BH's in brown dress look fantastic! Any chance to see some more pics?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spurs61's boots look great, and it does seem that White's black CXL holds up a little better than some others, though I understand it may also depend on particular batches. Even Viberg has gotten some black CXL that seems to wear much more quickly than either spurs61 or my White's. Two pics from the Viberg board:

One brand new, with pretty ugly creasing:

One about two months in as I recall the owner saying, with not particularly hard wear:

Naturally, when you get CXL you are not expecting hardwearing workboot leather, but if my White's had this much wear so quickly I'd be pretty disappointed. if those boots were five or six years old, you'd say "lookin good," but a couple of months in, not so good.

All of which is to say, you take your chances with CXL, but I have been pretty happy with my White's.

cathpah

Reaction score
While on the subject of Dress Brown White's, here's my pair after a good deal of wear. These have been to Europe and just got back from Mardi Gras, and I am seriously loving the lighter brown coming through with wear. Also, the folds/rolls on these is almost shell-esque, aside from the creasing in the valleys. A truly cool leather, imho.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@linafelt I see the creasing in the first pair.. but what is the issue withe second pair? There are a lot of scuffs (i think a good brushing should get rid of them) but I don't see any unusual creasing.

@cathpah nice pair.. dress brown is such a great color and very unique to White's

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@linafelt I see the creasing in the first pair.. but what is the issue withe second pair? There are a lot of scuffs (i think a good brushing should get rid of them) but I don't see any unusual creasing.

Right, not creasing but the pretty severe color loss is what I meant. Pretty sure brushing would have little effect, though polishing probably would. But that just seems like an awful lot of color loss for a couple of months of easy wear; and I have not seen nearly that much on my White's, which I've worn four or five times a week for 8 months or so.

RickyTylerson

Reaction score
these have been posted before, but with all the CXL trash talk I thought i'd post again.

the leather is prone to scuffing, but pretty much anything you do to it can be reversed by brushing - or if its really bad - a tiny bit of boot oil/obenauf's/whathaveyou

I think these are about 2.5 years old.

all said and done I'm happy with the boots and how they've held up. the leather scuffs easily, but no different than what happens on something like an 875 from red wing. its really not that big of a deal. I have however seen the quality of CXL used by other makers - alden and wolverine - and it is a completely different animal. White's really does a great job grading their leathers.

Brown dress really is the bomb though. My dad has a pair in brown dress. They look great. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of them sometime

Last edited:

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, just curious, how do those RW 9.5s you have listed fit compared to your White's..? And how do you like them?
The fit of the 9D in both the White's and Redwings fit very close to me. Sold my earlier 8111 IRs as I fell in love with the arch ease on the White's.These 9.5s however have a little more room than I am comfortable wearing.. I got these in a trade. Love the construction but never planned on keeping these..

spurs61

Reaction score
cathpah, love the way your brown dress SDs have evolved over time. It's this kind of patina that drew me to brown dress in the first place.

spurs61

Reaction score
Definitely agree with linafelt on the CXL front. Clearly my CXLs and RickyTylerson's have worn better over time. The pics from the Viberg board do show a different side to CXL. Even my own Alden Indy CXL boots have not fared as well as my White's and come from a thinner and more inferior batch of CXL. I will say that with brushing and some minimal treatment with Venetian shoe cream or Obenauf's, I can easily deal with many abrasions and scuffs in CXL. Not sure about the creasing issue though ...

NNNN

Reaction score
I don't think I'd get White's in CXL, considering how many other great options they have, and how ubiquitous CXL has become for so many other shoe manufacturers (Viberg, Rancourt, OSB, Quoddy, etc). The leather does feel great, though. My favorite part about it is the undyed edge, but in terms of longevity maybe the natural CXL is the best, as there's no color to lose. Rancourt has a really nice before and after of a natural CXL rebuild of a pair that probably didn't see a drop of conditioner in years:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myrddin2d