• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

geremy

Reaction score
Yeah. The cxl is not an option I would consider. But there is black distressed, smooth, oil tanned, etc. I like dress black and brown dress quite a bit, but I want something with a bit more depth and variation.

Futzy

Reaction score
Does the Traveler have the little "skirt" below the laces that I've seen on some White's?

Those are kilties - false tongues that are meant to protect the actual tongue from the wear of laces. They are totally removable/replaceable.

spurs61

Reaction score
If I were to buy another pair of black SDs, it would be black dress or black horsehide. As I've said before, White's dress leather is simply amazing, perfect for the business casual and simply casual environment. I haven't seen White's black horsehide in person, but pics here and elsewhere look great (of course, the price is higher). I have a pair of black CXL SDs and really like them. I know all the critiques of CXL - it's tendency to stretch, scuff, etc. But my CXL SDs are lined and that seems to prevent a lot of the stretching (especially compared to my unlined CXL Alden Indys). And for me scuffing and marking has not been a major issue, though I don't use them for rough work or hiking. But still, if I were to do it again, I would go with black dress.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How "dressy" does the black chromexel look? Does it look like I'm wearing dress shoes with my jeans?

Photos I've seen of brown chromexel maybe look a little too casual for dark jeans and a sport coat.

So I've decided to order some black semi-dress kinda everyday boots that I can wear in a business casual environment but also with Jeans. I'm just curious about opinions as to which black leather to go with. I'm thinking black horsehide as it has a nice shine and what appears to be some depth, but I'm not sure it's worth it over some of the perhaps thicker and more hard-wearing blacks. Any opinions? My makeup will be black with a brown edge and the likely the Vibram 430 with a full height cuban heel. Thanks.

Yeah. The cxl is not an option I would consider. But there is black distressed, smooth, oil tanned, etc. I like dress black and brown dress quite a bit, but I want something with a bit more depth and variation.

Smooth and Oil Tan are the same leathers, though it's confusing that they use both names for them. I didn't realize that Black Distressed existed I guess, though I know brown does.

Black CXL does look pretty dressy at first, but will get scuffed up and develop "ripples" pretty darn quickly. To my mind, if I wanted something to wear with jeans or otherwise casual pants, and wanted something long lasting, I'd go with Black Oil Tan (aka Smooth). It looks better in person than in most pics, and while I don't own a pair in it I met a guy who had a pair with a couple of years on it and it really looked great with wear. Black Dress by all accounts is hard wearing too, but will of course be more dressy looking.

Oh, and if you go Oil Tan, I'd say keep them unlined in the shaft -- it's some thick leather.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE Laces:

Where are you guys getting your laces from? I'd like to get a pair of flat ones.

I really like the Wolverine 1000 mile laces for my White's. Many folks seem to get 1000 mile replacements at therightlace.com, but those are not quite the same as the Wolverine brand, which are wider and waxier and stay flat longer. Turns out the latter are pretty hard to find in my experience. Wolverine does not sell them directly; Nordstrom used to sell them with free shipping but are out (I think). You can get them here:

http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/flat-waxed-shoelaces/38808

They have black and brown, in various sizes. You want 45" for SD probably and 54" for BH. The only problem is that Wingtip charges pretty steep shipping. The laces themselves are $12 and worth it I would say, but the last time I ordered I think the shipping was about that much again.

Otherwise, lots of cheaper ones on ebay, etc.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ With regard to the White's and Hathorns on Amazon: They both list D and "2E" widths. Does anyone know for sure if the 2E really indicates a stamped EE? I assume that is what they mean, but with Amazon who knows, and it seems weird that they would skip right over single E width..

NNNN

Reaction score
^^ With regard to the White's and Hathorns on Amazon: They both list D and "2E" widths. Does anyone know for sure if the 2E really indicates a stamped EE? I assume that is what they mean, but with Amazon who knows, and it seems weird that they would skip right over single E width..
I see this a lot. Though White's has an E width, some companies don't even offer it, instead jumping from D to EE in order to accommodate a greater range of foot shapes without the extra production of making an E. Similarly, some retailers that stock White's stock mostly E width boots rather than D, so people with wider feet are covered, and people with D width can still fit in them. I think E is just as common as D in White's anyway.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
Anyone found a source for 72" (~183cm) flat waxed boot laces? Longest I can find are just 60" & too short to use on my 6" Bounty Hunters.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I really like the Wolverine 1000 mile laces for my White's. Many folks seem to get 1000 mile replacements at therightlace.com, but those are not quite the same as the Wolverine brand, which are wider and waxier and stay flat longer. Turns out the latter are pretty hard to find in my experience. Wolverine does not sell them directly; Nordstrom used to sell them with free shipping but are out (I think). You can get them here:

http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/flat-waxed-shoelaces/38808

They have black and brown, in various sizes. You want 45" for SD probably and 54" for BH. The only problem is that Wingtip charges pretty steep shipping. The laces themselves are $12 and worth it I would say, but the last time I ordered I think the shipping was about that much again.

Otherwise, lots of cheaper ones on ebay, etc.

Thanks. This company claims to be the OEM for the above laces.

https://www.therightlace.com/produc...or-wolverine-1000-mile-boots-in-black-leather

and here is the list of 54" laces.

https://www.therightlace.com/products/laces/desert-shoes-and-chukkas/54

Their site is a pain to navigate. The product description is single pack and I 'think' that means a pair is packaged together in one pack?

trvlr472

Reaction score
Quote: I'll second that, Linafelt. I've got a pair of CWB's that are just about a year old and they have been worn a LOT. I ordered the brown smooth and had them leather lined and the shaft is STILL stiff. I figure another year or so before they will be pliable enough to not cut into my lower leg. I like them but they aren't near as comfortable as they should be. They are still quite stiff all the way around until I wear them for a half hour or so then everything gets comfy except the upper shaft.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my BHs for a little over 12 hours straight on Thursday and walked over 4 miles indoors. It was only in the last hour that my feet began to hurt in the heel and the right pinky toe. Very happy with the purchase as these are my most comfortable pair till date.. Like @linafelt mentioned, If I had known that I could request the shaft without the lining, I would have done that.. That is the only thing that I would have done differently with this order..

Another picture from today.. Just to show that the smooth/oil leathers shine up quite well with some brushing. Just do not saturate the leather with oils..

Last edited:

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score
Also posted on the Nick's thread -

Just got my Nick's 6" Roberts in Natural Chromexcel back from resizing yesterday. They did a real nice job, if I didn't recognize the upper part I never would have guessed these were re-done.

I was originally sized by their staff as a 7C, when I wore them it felt like I was shoving my toe into one of my wife's pumps. Spoke with Kyle at Baker Shoe who also has my measurements and really felt like I was a 7 1/2D Just like my White's sizing (no argument from Nicks there). However after being sized to 7 1/2 D these Roberts almost feel like 1/2 size bigger than my Whites SD's. Birds eye view they look about the same length and width, but my Whites have a real locked in snug fit. These nicks almost feel like a size 8D whites I've tried on in the past.

Anyone have similar experience with Whites vs Nicks sizing?

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of black leather with contrasting stitching. But am realizing that I may be at a saturation point!

BigPoppa

Reaction score
What sort of socks do you wear with your semi dress? Guess I need to decide now before I buy because it affects the fit so much.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member