• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morgenholz

Reaction score
"on diversity..."
I have really learned a lot lurking here-- What experience I have not personally gained has been efficiently gleaned from varied contributors, and my confidence in my own level of enjoyment enjoyment greatly reinforced by like-minded consumers such as James. Regarding the former, I would not have an excellent alternative to the Wesco Flightmaster on order if not for b-ewing's research and photographic advice, and I for one have greatly enjoyed Louie's crusty personality AND deep-end-experience-based perspectives, as well as his staunch faith in Huberd's, and miss him. I guess my skin is closer to the "oil-tanned" thickness than to CXL-- Diversity means that foot size, taste in footwear, and method of delivery are bound to differ.
Anyway, thanks to all.

jrosenthal

Reaction score

"on diversity..."
I have really learned a lot lurking here--  What experience I have not personally gained has been efficiently gleaned from varied contributors, and my confidence in my own level of enjoyment enjoyment greatly reinforced by like-minded consumers such as James. Regarding the former, I would not have an excellent alternative to the Wesco Flightmaster on order if not for b-ewing's research and photographic advice, and I for one have greatly enjoyed Louie's crusty personality AND deep-end-experience-based perspectives, as well as his staunch faith in Huberd's, and miss him. I guess my skin is closer to the "oil-tanned" thickness than to CXL--  Diversity means that foot size, taste in footwear, and method of delivery are bound to differ.
Anyway, thanks to all.

I agree with you about Louie to a point. I read this whole thread and am fairly new to the group and did find his musings and ramblings to be somewhat entertaining in the same way we all have that odd uncle who we only see at family gatherings whom we have to endure his stories but glean the occasional nugget.
But I can see how those who have been here far long than we grew tired of his tone, and attitude. He made it clear from my first few posts and inquiries that he was going to "put me in my place"...never have I experienced that on a message forum.
I love learning from those with more experience and education than I, but if you need to demean others to make your point, the value of the lesson is lost.

James

cathpah

Reaction score
How many new users and lurkers with young accounts will we have that are suddenly chiming in on Louie's behalf before we get an IP ban on him? This is so transparent, it's not even funny.

Louie may have had some decent information, but he was unable to communicate, take feedback, or interact with others. Nobody liked him because of that, and he was therefore banned. Bye Louie.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"on diversity..."
I have really learned a lot lurking here-- What experience I have not personally gained has been efficiently gleaned from varied contributors, and my confidence in my own level of enjoyment enjoyment greatly reinforced by like-minded consumers such as James. Regarding the former, I would not have an excellent alternative to the Wesco Flightmaster on order if not for b-ewing's research and photographic advice, and I for one have greatly enjoyed Louie's crusty personality AND deep-end-experience-based perspectives, as well as his staunch faith in Huberd's, and miss him. I guess my skin is closer to the "oil-tanned" thickness than to CXL-- Diversity means that foot size, taste in footwear, and method of delivery are bound to differ.
Anyway, thanks to all.
I agree with you about Louie to a point. I read this whole thread and am fairly new to the group and did find his musings and ramblings to be somewhat entertaining in the same way we all have that odd uncle who we only see at family gatherings whom we have to endure his stories but glean the occasional nugget.
But I can see how those who have been here far long than we grew tired of his tone, and attitude. He made it clear from my first few posts and inquiries that he was going to "put me in my place"...never have I experienced that on a message forum.
I love learning from those with more experience and education than I, but if you need to demean others to make your point, the value of the lesson is lost.

James
How many new users and lurkers with young accounts will we have that are suddenly chiming in on Louie's behalf before we get an IP ban on him? This is so transparent, it's not even funny.

Louie may have had some decent information, but he was unable to communicate, take feedback, or interact with others. Nobody liked him because of that, and he was therefore banned. Bye Louie.
We have a host of tools to determine if an account is a sock. If you feel that someone might be, PM me. That said, it's not unimaginable that someone might disagree wtih your opnion of Louie. I had a little discussion with my moderators before deciding to ban him. One of the moderators also enjoyed his crusty personality. In the end, I had to ban him because he was being too disruptive to the community and was clearly going to disregard any moderator or administrator request to please be respectful of other posters, and the communuty cannot operate well if there are posters who are constantly, publicly, grousing about the administrators and moderators and disregarding their requests.

Let's let this be the last mention of the matter. This is a thread about White's boots, not about a grumpy old man, however picturesque he may be (I pictured him as a grumpier, stouter, Tommy Lee Jones.)

cathpah

Reaction score
We have a host of tools to determine if an account is a sock. If you feel that someone might be, PM me. That said, it's not unimaginable that someone might disagree wtih your opnion of Louie. I had a little discussion with my moderators before deciding to ban him. One of the moderators also enjoyed his crusty personality. In the end, I had to ban him because he was being too disruptive to the community and was clearly going to disregard any moderator or administrator request to please be respectful of other posters, and the communuty cannot operate well if there are posters who are constantly, publicly, grousing about the administrators and moderators and disregarding their requests.

Let's let this be the last mention of the matter. This is a thread about White's boots, not about a grumpy old man, however picturesque he may be (I pictured him as a grumpier, stouter, Tommy Lee Jones.)
Fair enough, and I do apologize if it came across as that I was frustrated with the mods, as that's not the case...moreso that I'm frustrated with the likelihood that these are secondary accounts and that his shenanigans are continuing to clog up this thread. That said, I fell into it, and am therefore only further clogging up this thread. Apologies.

spurs61

Reaction score
FYI, looks like build times are backing up again - called Baker's yesterday to check in on my pair of distressed swing last bounty hunters, which were due to hit their delivery date this Friday (I'll be out of town in November & wanted to ensure they'd arrive before my departure). Alas, turns out White's won't have them done for another 2-1/2 weeks beyond the initial 6 week estimate.

jrosenthal

Reaction score
Well, back on the discussion at hand, and on the tiresome topic of care and maintenance. I hate taking care of my footwear, but it is a necessary evil if I want to keep them looking their best and keep them for decades. I brush them after each wear and use trees, but try to go as long as possible between applications of stuff. I know there are as many opinions as there are members on the forum but my question is specifically about a product that Baker's used on my oxfords when they sent them back to me. I got caught in a torrent last week that soaked my pants to the knee, but my oxfords beaded water beautifully and only the tops of my socks were wet. I asked Kyle what they used and he said Lexol and a leather balm called Dyo. It has a slightly waxy feeling to the surface and puts a nice shine on the shoes and seems to keep up well with brushing.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

James

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
I was told it's somewhere around 6-8 weeks now with the holidays coming up. That was last week.

cathpah

Reaction score
Well, back on the discussion at hand, and on the tiresome topic of care and maintenance. I hate taking care of my footwear, but it is a necessary evil if I want to keep them looking their best and keep them for decades. I brush them after each wear and use trees, but try to go as long as possible between applications of stuff. I know there are as many opinions as there are members on the forum but my question is specifically about a product that Baker's used on my oxfords when they sent them back to me. I got caught in a torrent last week that soaked my pants to the knee, but my oxfords beaded water beautifully and only the tops of my socks were wet. I asked Kyle what they used and he said Lexol and a leather balm called Dyo. It has a slightly waxy feeling to the surface and puts a nice shine on the shoes and seems to keep up well with brushing.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

James
I can't even find anything on the googles when I look up "dyo boot." Are you pretty sure on the spelling (i.e. was it a phone call or email)?

jrosenthal

Reaction score

I can't even find anything on the googles when I look up "dyo boot."  Are you pretty sure on the spelling (i.e. was it a phone call or email)?

It was via email:

This seems to be a "leather conditioner" more than a boot or shoe cream. I know there are a thousand products out there but was curios if anyone else was using it. If the shop at Baker's is using it, there must be something to it.
I'm sure any of the usual suspect I can buy online would work fine, this just seems to buff up really well on a dress shoe, and beads water beautifully, and the price seems reasonable.

James

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing too exciting here, but figured I'd take the chance to post a pic of my bountyhunters, newly laced with leather laces. I've been wearing flat black laces which I like, but decided to try out leather for a while.

I have to admit that I am loving these boots.

NNNN

Reaction score
Can't stop thinking about black bull hide Northwest lace-to-toe. Possibly in 7" on Christy sole...

Does anyone know how "rugged" the bull hide is? If I got a lace-to-toe on a sole like that, it would be a shame to use it as a work boot.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing too exciting here, but figured I'd take the chance to post a pic of my bountyhunters, newly laced with leather laces. I've been wearing flat black laces which I like, but decided to try out leather for a while.

Lina, I've said it before and in sure to say it again but that makeup is so nice man! And I think the leather laces just make em even better. The natural brown of the rawhide is a great compliment to the rich black HH.

Close trim captoes have gotta be my next build

spurs61

Reaction score

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks dudes. Nothing fancy, but a classic look to my mind. With Two and the silver eyelets adding just a little bit of style.

@spurs61, it's black CXL. But I see what you mean, the rawhide leather laces kind of bring out a brown look to it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabai99