• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely all about what you want, not what others want you to have.

I obsessively poured over hundreds of photos, read countless posts, and totally drove my wife bonkers; then I concluded that I like the standard height and shape heel the best. I own two pair of Whites with them. And was planning on a third, but opted for another pair of Wescos for my latest (and last for a while) order, which incidentally will have a standard heel too :)

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score

Haha yeah I'm man enough, I just don't know if I like the appearance of it. The standard height heel just looks so huge though. Or is it just me that thinks that?

The standard heel on the Bounty Hunters is only a 1" heel. It looks tall compared to dress boots, but it is short compared to something like a standard logger heel. Part of it is that the rest of the sole with even a normal Vibram sole, not the thick 700 lug sole, is 1/2" thick, so it looks like the heel is taller due to the height of just the leather and Vibram sole stack. The heel on RedWing Iron Rangers is 5/8", and they almost look like flats.

gfloridafan93

Reaction score

It's definitely all about what you want, not what others want you to have.

I obsessively poured over hundreds of photos, read countless posts, and totally drove my wife bonkers; then I concluded that I like the standard height and shape heel the best. I own two pair of Whites with them. And was planning on a third, but opted for another pair of Wescos for my latest (and last for a while) order, which incidentally will have a standard heel too :)

You're right because I will be the one wearing them lol. I have gone through this pictures a lot, and I do keep changing my mind. Do the sole options affect the heel height? It seems some heels are a lot taller than others?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any guidance about the celastic toe?

I'm thinking of ordering a SD with black horsehide and a captoe, lined, but was wondering wether it will be too soft without the celastic toe?

The toe box always looks so much better on Whites when they don't have a celastic toe too...

And advice on what the most hard wearing leather is? I've loved what I've seen of horsehide so far

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha yeah I'm man enough, I just don't know if I like the appearance of it. The standard height heel just looks so huge though. Or is it just me that thinks that?

I totally agree that the higher heel looks a little weird. It's always been the main drawback to Whites boots for me. The lower heel looks great, as many pics will show. I mean, if you are actually a logger then go with a higher appeal, but how many of us here are actually loggers?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stock White's semi-dress heel is 1.5" - about 1/2" taller than Viberg's usual.
It's mainly an aesthetic call. I'm 6'2+ so a large heel looks proportional.
Personally I think the dropped heel takes away from the look of White's, which are meant to be workboots.
But I can understand the fascination with Viberg - they're playing their cards right.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the higher heel of the White's boot along with the arch design will help alleviate some of my heel issues. I've recently read (onlineknowledgeyeah) that having a heel at around that height can mitigate the pain of heel spurs and plantar fasciitis.
This is part of the reason I'm trying out a standard heel on my SDs.

aaronjared

Reaction score
Ojaw, I switched to wearing White's exclusively after my Red Wings GT's gave me plantar fasciitis, and within a month it was gone. The Arch-ease system is incredible all of my needs, since it also mitigates the pain and stress of my scoliosis. You see, I have one leg 1/4" shorter than the other so typically lift up the inner sole lining and install a sturdy insert beneath it (not that Dr. Scholl's crap), and I can stand all day in my White's where I would normally I have to take a load off after an hour or two in all my other similarly modified shoes. The arch support provided by White's is a wonderful thing.

Also to those who wonder about the lowered heels, I'm not a fan of making changes to something White's spent decades perfecting. The lift is standard across all the sole combinations, 1.5" above the ball of the foot. But anything added to the sole is also added to the heel to maintain that ratio. One of the reasons so many people love the half soles and double leather is that there is no thick chunk of rubber to break up the continuous heel. Right now I think the commando mini lug half sole is the best looking that White's creates because you get the added traction of the lug without needing the sometimes very thick piece of rubber, but it comes standard with a double leather sole.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what I want to hear, thanks aj.
Here's hoping, they're still a few weeks away, as is spring around here apparently.

McQueen76

Reaction score
I just got a pair of White's Boots, and the right boot is off center at the heel. I only noticed it after experiencing an unusual heel strike with the right boot. My actual heel hangs about 1/4" over the heel stack on the inside. This isn't normal, and is something I should be worried about, right?

Edit: Doodles to better show what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score

I just got a pair of White's Boots, and the right boot is off center at the heel. I only noticed it after experiencing an unusual heel strike with the right boot. My actual heel hangs about 1/4" over the heel stack on the inside. This isn't normal, and is something I should be worried about, right?

Edit: Doodles to better show what I'm talking about.

I admit it, I'm a White's fanboy, so I tend to let a lot of cosmetic issues slide. This one I would probably contact White's (or Baker's, depending on who you ordered from) about. The good thing is, I would say just putting a new heel stack on and grinding it to the correct profile would fix the problem. It isn't like they would need to pull the upper apart.

chiliinabowl

Reaction score
I must have done something wrong, no pics. Trying again...

Several pages back I described a fitting issue I had. I am submitting this update to report that I had the issue resolved (remade by White's) and they now fit perfect. Andrew at Baker's did a great job of helping me out. I went ahead and had White's change the lowers to brown CXL.

Now for my next pair! My work environment is casual (jeans) and I purchased the BHs with that in mind. As luck would have it I have just accepted a position in a business casual (khakis/chinos). I have seen some post where some assert that SFs do not make suitable dress boots. I don't know if you really need "dress boots" for khakis, but would not some configurations qualify as "dress boots"? What makes a dress boot? I was thinking if configured appropriately it would definitely work with khakis, if not even slacks and a sport jacket. Does anyone have any experience trying to wear SFs in that sort of situation?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1