• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr_natural78

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of whites boots. I'm leaning toward original smoke jumpers. Any thoughts on these for serious winter duty in Michigan? Snow/mud/slush/etc. I like the brown rough our but I don't have an rough out boots and not sure how well this does in foul weather? Any thoughts or advise?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of whites boots. I'm leaning toward original smoke jumpers. Any thoughts on these for serious winter duty in Michigan? Snow/mud/slush/etc. I like the brown rough our but I don't have an rough out boots and not sure how well this does in foul weather? Any thoughts or advise?
I'd say the Smoke Jumper would be a good choice.

They're not necessarily winter boots in the sense of 'Arctic expedition' levels of cold, but with a pair of warm socks, they'll be fine in snow and slush. Rough-out leather is great for harsh conditions, being easy to clean and standing up well to abrasion, and the V100 outsole that comes stock on the Smoke Jumper is also great in mud and slush.

Bear in mind though that White's lead-times are currently around the eight month mark, so unless you can find your size in stock somewhere, it'll probably be a boot for next winter, not this one.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the Smoke Jumper would be a good choice.

They're not necessarily winter boots in the sense of 'Arctic expedition' levels of cold, but with a pair of warm socks, they'll be fine in snow and slush. Rough-out leather is great for harsh conditions, being easy to clean and standing up well to abrasion, and the V100 outsole that comes stock on the Smoke Jumper is also great in mud and slush.

Bear in mind though that White's lead-times are currently around the eight month mark, so unless you can find your size in stock somewhere, it'll probably be a boot for next winter, not this one.
All of the above is good advice - I would only reinforce one aspect and add another:
1. Warmth- this isn't a boot designed with winter in mind - there's no insulation - so if you're spending time outside for lengthy periods, it might not be a great choice. But if you're just commuting in it and not working outside, it's a good choice with that leather.
2. have you ever worn a boot that tall before? It's going to feel much different than a standard height boot - as well as the time to lace it (if you're not used to speed hooks). Practically speaking, the Bounty Hunter from Baker's or the MP is all the practical height most people ever need that aren't using a smokejumper for heavy field work where the extra support/protection makes practical sense.

andy b.

Reaction score

If you plan on wearing the thickest wool boot socks you can find, go up one size in width.

The rough out is fairly indestructible. Over time if you treat it with something like Obenaufs, it starts to look almost like waxed flesh. I don't even use a horse-hair shoe brush on mine, I just use a nylon bristle scrubbing brush. It helps restore the nap a little.

If you like the look of 10" boots, go for it. 10" is overkill for normal use. I have two pairs in 10" height, and they look cool, but 8" is really all a normal person needs.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow members nailed just about everything : )
All of my White's boots are eight inches tall and although I love the ankle support, it does take time to lace them, case in point, I had to run by the house during lunch break and I realized I was running late so I put on some cheap cole haans and kept the White's boots in the car which I plan to go and wear as soon I get a chance lol.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Also if you're planning on wearing these boots in the cold, unless you need them for safety reasons, absolutely do not get a steel toe.

Lonebull

Reaction score
Hi, new here, i read all 1700 pages of this post.
i have a few pairs of white's and wesco boots. i will post them up on my next post, i know how it works, if you dont post the pics, you dont have the boots lol i'm halfway through a white's 6" cougar boot in a black semi-dress, with an all black vibram casual sole.
00C.jpg

00C1.jpg

Lonebull

Reaction score
so white's made an Oxblood leather for Roland Sands Design. apparently that color leather isn't made by whites anymore. so i'm looking to build an oxblood 7" boot, i'm assuming a jobmaster or bounty hunter. the white's #8 burgundy to me seems to dark, and starts to look brown with time. ive seen a couple of burgundy domain wesco jobmasters that look similar to the red i'm looking for. i'm looking to recreate an upgraded oxblood doc marten....

this is the color they made for roland sands design. i want, this color, so any ideas would be helpful
!!!RSD.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so white's made an Oxblood leather for Roland Sands Design. apparently that color leather isn't made by whites anymore. so i'm looking to build an oxblood 7" boot, i'm assuming a jobmaster or bounty hunter. the white's #8 burgundy to me seems to dark, and starts to look brown with time. ive seen a couple of burgundy domain wesco jobmasters that look similar to the red i'm looking for. i'm looking to recreate an upgraded oxblood doc marten....

this is the color they made for roland sands design. i want, this color, so any ideas would be helpful
View attachment 1862576
Look at
Burgundy horsehide
W&C tan Latigo
Black cherry water buffalo

I know the description might not seem “reddish” but they are the leathers you would probably like.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member