• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Give Port Townsend a bit of time and poke around a bit. Velocity coffee there is a favorite. Allow a bit more driving time on 101 than it appears on a map. The falls near lake crescent are easy to get to well worth the hour. Ditto for ruby beach as you get further out towards the ocean

Thanks.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
Of all the soles I have on boots (commando, 430, 100 on White's, 430 on Red Wings, and Vibram 700 on another pair) by far the best are the Vibram 100 (the black "fire and ice" version, which is the standard from White's AFAIK) closely followed by whatever soles Blundstone uses on its standard Chelsea boots. Ultimately, however, in snow more than a few inches deep my experience is that all normal soles are going to either get clogged with snow pretty fast or just become ice skates right away.

The Vibram 100 do have an uncanny ability to grip ice much better than any other rubber I've tried -- must be the "ice" designation -- and they are tall/deep enough to deal with urban slush very well. My go-to winter boot for trudging through NYC snow, however, are my Blunnies, mainly because they grip well enough, have a thick enough sole to offer some insulation, and I don't care about trashing them with salt and road slush!
I only have V 430 and 100 (white dot-) to compare.
The snow in the interior of Alaska is very dry (no snowballs), but VERY cold. The lugs don’t get clogged secondary to the dryness, but the rubber stays “grippy” on ice at temperatures well below 0 F, but the 430 will put you (or me rather), on the ground fast on anything approaching frozen—self tested.

YMMV (goes without saying?)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long do the leather laces last? mine broke after two months : )
Any recommendations for laces, preferably something I could buy from Amazon but not necessarily?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
How long do the leather laces last? mine broke after two months : )
Any recommendations for laces, preferably something I could buy from Amazon but not necessarily?
Depends how often you wear the boots, obviously. I've got laces in boots that I wear regularly that are a couple of years old and still going strong.

I'd stay away from some of the cheap 'no-name' options on Amazon; they're often poor quality leather and are destined to snap prematurely. Kiwi laces come up on Amazon a lot too, and I've found they aren't particularly good either.

White's laces are usually pretty good, and I'm surprised they gave out so quickly. Guarded Goods also have a good reputation, and most 'own brand' laces from PNW makers (Nick's, Wesco, Viberg, etc.) are pretty decent.

Can you tell why the lace failed? Sometimes if there's a rough edge on an eyelet or hook it can cause the lace to snap prematurely. Or maybe you were just unlucky.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends how often you wear the boots, obviously. I've got laces in boots that I wear regularly that are a couple of years old and still going strong.

I'd stay away from some of the cheap 'no-name' options on Amazon; they're often poor quality leather and are destined to snap prematurely. Kiwi laces come up on Amazon a lot too, and I've found they aren't particularly good either.

White's laces are usually pretty good, and I'm surprised they gave out so quickly. Guarded Goods also have a good reputation, and most 'own brand' laces from PNW makers (Nick's, Wesco, Viberg, etc.) are pretty decent.

Can you tell why the lace failed? Sometimes if there's a rough edge on an eyelet or hook it can cause the lace to snap prematurely. Or maybe you were just unlucky.
The last sentence is the reason, I am just unlucky ?.
@theofficialhung and you mentioned guarded goods but it appears the longest leather laces they have are 72 inches which I think may be short for my eight inches Bounty Hunters.
The leather laces that just broke are around 100 inches and White's Nylon laces are 82 inches.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
The last sentence is the reason, I am just unlucky ?.
@theofficialhung and you mentioned guarded goods but it appears the longest leather laces they have are 72 inches which I think may be short for my eight inches Bounty Hunters.
The leather laces that just broke are around 100 inches and White's Nylon laces are 82 inches.
Honestly, I'd just buy another set of White's laces; you're not going to find much better, and it sounds like you've just been unlucky.

Bakers have them for sale in 72" and 108" versions: https://bakershoe.com/products/leather-laces-by-whites-boots

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimk4003 , I have the Nylon laces so I will just wait for next pair when its ready to be shipped and buy extra laces with it.

klugtrane

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just buy another set of White's laces; you're not going to find much better, and it sounds like you've just been unlucky.

Bakers have them for sale in 72" and 108" versions: https://bakershoe.com/products/leather-laces-by-whites-boots
I agree with this. Leather laces are a bit of a crapshoot. All it takes is one spot of bad grain and they go fairly quickly, but White's are better than most I've tried. I've had some last for a few months, and several last for a long time.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brand of Nylon laces are recommended? I would like to keep a pair or two extra

Jimk4003

Reaction score
What brand of Nylon laces are recommended? I would like to keep a pair or two extra
You can go with pretty much anything; most suitably long nylon laces will be absolutely fine, regardless of brand.

Another option is to buy some 550 paracord; you can buy drums of it on Amazon. Just cut a suitable length and melt the ends to stop it fraying. Some manufacturers even offer pre-made laces made of paracord; all they'll have done is cut some to length and stick an aglet on either end.

The only thing I'd stay away from are Kevlar laces. Whilst they certainly have their place, woven Kevlar is really hard-wearing and quite abrasive, and in the battle between the soft leather of a boot's tongue and a Kevlar lace, the Kevlar will win every time, which can lead to holes being worn through the tongue.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentleman! I am going to order directly from White's.
I also saw some false tongues. Should I order the regular length false tongues for my eight inches bounty hunters with cap toes (Not lace to toe) and will red dog false tongue with Burgundy HH boots?

Kind Regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads