• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty bummed - waited 132 days (4 months, 11 days) for my most recent order (Maryam Toscanello LTT) to arrive and they're pretty junky due to holes around the welt (which my last few pairs suffered from, as well) and the classic ridge in the toe box that seems to ALWAYS happen to any LTT pair I try to order... Very disappointed in White's lately, feeling bad for myself (in the most first-world way) for having a few other pairs being crafted now as well, I'd pass on them otherwise...
Depending on how long ago your other orders were, they might not actually even be in production. Ask for them to be cancelled and ask for a refund.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how long ago your other orders were, they might not actually even be in production. Ask for them to be cancelled and ask for a refund.

that's actually an excellent idea. I'll give it a shot, but it was likely over a month ago that the orders were placed, I don't really even recall. Done with trying to get a LTT pair for sure though, something seems to be very hit or miss in their construction process

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's actually an excellent idea. I'll give it a shot, but it was likely over a month ago that the orders were placed, I don't really even recall. Done with trying to get a LTT pair for sure though, something seems to be very hit or miss in their construction process
That's bad news for White's (and customers like us). It sounds like White's lost your business, at least, for now.

klank74

Reaction score
Man, I hate to hear that. I have 2 pairs of LTT on order. I have nothing bad to say about my first pair though. I received those around the beginning of February and they were darn near perfect. My very first pair of Whites, SD’s, were perfect, except for the fact they made them in close trim instead of the standard trim I ordered. I decided to keep them anyways and Brandon gave me a break on the second pair I ordered

Danitch

Reaction score
Done with trying to get a LTT pair for sure though, something seems to be very hit or miss in their construction process

The ltt probably needs to be kept in shape after the lasts are removed from them.
Wooden templates are usually used.
For ankle boots without laces, this is almost always used.
You can see tamplates marks on literally any Chelsea or high-end engineer's boots. From RM williams and Viberg to Clinch and Role Club, especially at soft toe box.
These marks fade over time.

Attachments

• Clinch-1122-Engineer-Boots-Black-Latigo2 (1).jpg
    Clinch-1122-Engineer-Boots-Black-Latigo2 (1).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 56
  • viberg_brown_chelsea_02_1024x1024.jpg
    viberg_brown_chelsea_02_1024x1024.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 51
  • olive (1).jpeg
    olive (1).jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20210423_004946.jpg
    IMG_20210423_004946.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 82

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ltt probably needs to be kept in shape after the lasts are removed from them.
Wooden templates are usually used.
For ankle boots without laces, this is almost always used.
You can see tamplates marks on literally any Chelsea or high-end engineer's boots. From RM williams and Viberg to Clinch and Role Club. And especially at soft toe box.

that makes sense, but I wonder why it's so much more pronounced on some than others and I'm surprised that the celestic insert wouldn't have protected the leather. It's weird that the "ridge" is so firm, like you'd think the leather would become flat again and the ridge would go away, but it's firm, like the celastic molded into the ridge so that I now have like a little mountain range on the top of my boots. Anyways, always been the biggest turn off for me with nice chelseas and the fact that on this forum we've seen several LTT w/o this makes me think something happened during the build.

Danitch

Reaction score
that makes sense, but I wonder why it's so much more pronounced on some than others

Depending on the type and thickness, the leather shrinks differently after the last is removed.
I think dry skin like dress shrinks the most.
Oiled - such as work leathers, cxl or cordovan - less.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw your post on the Carmina thread. Might want to look through the pages of complaints regarding QC before you think its a better option.

klank74

Reaction score
that makes sense, but I wonder why it's so much more pronounced on some than others and I'm surprised that the celestic insert wouldn't have protected the leather. It's weird that the "ridge" is so firm, like you'd think the leather would become flat again and the ridge would go away, but it's firm, like the celastic molded into the ridge so that I now have like a little mountain range on the top of my boots. Anyways, always been the biggest turn off for me with nice chelseas and the fact that on this forum we've seen several LTT w/o this makes me think something happened during the build.
I don’t really have that on mine. Maybe it’s more last related than leather? Mine are Red Dog, but I’ve seen it on other oiled leathers like black oil tan and cxl. Mine are on the 38 swing last, not a last that I see a lot of LTT on. The worst ones I’ve seen are usually on the 4811.
E53B5964-23C5-4963-9A47-483A941B0A05.jpeg

Bronco68

Reaction score
Yesterday received my 3rd MTO White's. I have to say, this is the best pair I have received so far (no strange things discovered yet). Also my 1st black boot if I'm not mistaken. It pays homage to the original black Smokejumper (sort of).

6", 55 last (size 9D), Black Dress leather, Lined, All brass eyes + Vibram 700 soles (black stain). Also rolled tops + no pull loops (and traingle stitch at the back).

View attachment 1597057
View attachment 1597058
View attachment 1597059

I’m not a fan of black shoes, but I do like these.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Not wearing a pair of boots that weigh 4 pounds in 90 degree heat, walking 10 miles a day on concrete, at a theme park with wet rides... I know it is blasphemy, but for that type of walking I wear walking shoes... "old man" style actually... the New Balance 813... it comes standard with an AARP card, but they sure are comfortable!

I have not yet been able to bring myself to wear the Velcro ones... my hypocrisy only extends so far...
View attachment 1597352

How’s the arch support?

Did you wear white or black cotton calf high socks with these?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I still wear White's in summer, but for hotter days my summer shoes are:

Thursday sneakers in Horween Essex:

Mark Albert derbies in roughout:

Rancourt ranger moccasins in flint kudu roughout:

I'll be miffed if my long-awaited LTT Bounty Hunters have a really prominent, sealed-in-celastic toe bump ridge. Only time will tell.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
To me they do feel cooler.

They are lighter in overall weight, and use a thinner, dressier, calfskin leather than anything White's uses.

They seem to breathe better in hot weather than do the SD and BH... but YMMV... despite the above, they are surprisingly durable...

Alden calls them a "work boot"... which in the Alden line I guess they are... but Alden making a "work boot" is like White's making a "dress boot".
From what I understand Harrison Ford insisted that Indy wear Aldens because he used to wear them when he worked as a carpenter and thought they were incredibly comfortable. So I guess in that respect they are legit work boots, at least in one person's opinion

On the summer wear question, a good pair of Chuck Taylors with some decent arch supporting insoles are really hard to beat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads