• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually we've looked at Buildaboot quite a bit and it's proven surprisingly difficult. To even approach the desired look we're talking about 100 lugs on a double midsole and probably 1/4" raised heel (raised "platform"). The idea is comparing to things that look like this:
View attachment 1574096

Because, you know, other stuff is "boring".
White's has said previously that they are mechanically limited with regard to sole thickness... their machines can only sew through so much leather...

This was the absolute limit they could do when I asked...
1615751202823.png

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
White's has said previously that they are mechanically limited with regard to sole thickness... their machines can only sew through so much leather...

This was the absolute limit they could do when I asked...
View attachment 1574111
By absolute limit, does that apply only to the midsole or is that the thickest sole they would put on a build like that? What does walking on something like that feel like, when compared to something like the stock BH build? What about weight?

My only experience with White's so far was my try-on stock BH, which was the standard sole/heel with V100 sole in 10D and I got just over 3lbs. when weighing it.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By absolute limit, does that apply only to the midsole or is that the thickest sole they would put on a build like that? What does walking on something like that feel like, when compared to something like the stock BH build? What about weight?

My only experience with White's so far was my try-on stock BH, which was the standard sole/heel with V100 sole in 10D and I got just over 3lbs. when weighing it.
3 lbs for a pair of Bounty Hunters is not bad! I think my horse hide bounty hunters weigh around 2-3lbs per boot: ).
My understanding is, the thickest they would put is triple midsoles with 100 lugsoles but recently I don't see the triple midsoles option,only double.
I have double midsoles with 430 vibram and I just started the break-in process, I am assuming it will take a couple of months.
Speaking of break in, @Legal Eagles , how long was the break in time for your boots (picture above)?

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
3 lbs for a pair of Bounty Hunters is not bad! I think my horse hide bounty hunters weigh around 2-3lbs per boot: ).
My understanding is, the thickest they would put is triple midsoles with 100 lugsoles but recently I don't see the triple midsoles option,only double.
I have double midsoles with 430 vibram and I just started the break-in process, I am assuming it will take a couple of months.
Speaking of break in, @Legal Eagles , how long was the break in time for your boots (picture above)?
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant just over 3 lbs. per boot. I'm guessing more midsoles would add to that, while single-stitched edge, smaller size, and possibly choice of leather would subtract from it.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My understanding is leather is harder to sew through than rubber... the pair above is 2.5 leather plus commando... they will do IIRC double leather plus Vibram 100, but that is pushing it...

Those have no ground feel at all, but do not feel overly tall.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate that none of my White's have required a "break-in" in the sense that I could not wear them all day out of the box... the sole is still not "flexible" and I am not sure it ever will be, nor were they intended to be... but they are extremely comfortable...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate that none of my White's have required a "break-in" in the sense that I could not wear them all day out of the box... the sole is still not "flexible" and I am not sure it ever will be, nor were they intended to be... but they are extremely comfortable...
I have another theory @Legal Eagles !!
When we are breaking in White's boots, the boots "mold" to our feet but I think our feet do "mold" too !!!
You have been wearing White's for so long, your feet are accustomed to White's boots!

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Actually we've looked at Buildaboot quite a bit and it's proven surprisingly difficult. To even approach the desired look we're talking about 100 lugs on a double midsole and probably 1/4" raised heel (raised "platform"). The idea is comparing to things that look like this:
View attachment 1574096

I know Vibram does a black wedge sole like the white crepe you see on the Perry boots, it would approximate that look, but probably not the height

klank74

Reaction score
View attachment 1574096

Black dress or black elk tan with a double midsole and a vibram 2021 in black might get you close to that. Or maybe she would like something a little wilder looking like bull hide. Try searching for some of the Japanese Whites builds, they seem to like theirs on the wilder, chunkier side.

js0930

Reaction score
View attachment 1574096

Maybe double midsole plus black wedge sole? Also maybe go lace to toe to look”chunkier”?

Also take a look at the Red Wings below for inspiration, maybe.

Attachments

• 2326D7BF-2003-479F-92DD-062904B1A0C1.png
    2326D7BF-2003-479F-92DD-062904B1A0C1.png
    228 KB · Views: 142

wordfool

Reaction score
View attachment 1574096

You might have more success with some of the unique leathers White's offers rather than trying to replicate that sole chonk. You could try something like this. Yes, caiman and bull hide might not be the cheapest leather options, but that combo is kinda fun and unique with the wedge sole. Check out the rest of that site's White's options for more unique ideas. Ostrich leather is also fun and perhaps weird enough.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
You might have more success with some of the unique leathers White's offers rather than trying to replicate that sole chonk. You could try something like this. Yes, caiman and bull hide might not be the cheapest leather options, but that combo is kinda fun and unique with the wedge sole. Check out the rest of that site's White's options for more unique ideas. Ostrich leather is also fun and perhaps weird enough.
These are really cool and I was also considering going for mixed blacks with something like black dress and bull hide. I hadn't considered the wedge sole before but I imagine that should feel a lot lighter and easier to walk on than going massive lug.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
These are really cool and I was also considering going for mixed blacks with something like black dress and bull hide. I hadn't considered the wedge sole before but I imagine that should feel a lot lighter and easier to walk on than going massive lug.

Just going by my own experience with the Perry boots, the wedge sole is extremely comfortable

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Actually we've looked at Buildaboot quite a bit and it's proven surprisingly difficult.

Have you emailed Kyle?
Its been a few years, but I seem to recall a one off pair he had built for a customer. Really tall boot with substantial platform sole. If you can find the sole you desire Bakers may be able to make it happen, they may even suggest one based on your criteria.
The process would be they/Bakers request Whites build your boot to spec & send them to Bakers sans sole. Bakers will then apply the custom sole before forwarding them on to you.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you were asking about "chonk" and that boot company which must not be named posted these...

Make both boots like the right one, murder them out in all black, you are getting close to your desired aesthetic ...
1615835288660.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads