• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
I share your love of the 310 last... I have too many boots, and swore I would buy no more this year... then this happened:

View attachment 1572259
Toasted Coconut Cambridge Service Boot... if it came with a toe cap, I would be all over it... of course I would have to turn in my man card if I bought a boot with a leather called "Toasted Coconut"!

They must have weird coconuts up in Canada, or they left it in the oven too long. Surely toasted coconut is either a lot darker (the husk) or a lot paler (the flesh). Here's Pioneer Woman's recipe should you decide to turn in your man card :laugh:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The midsole is massive", you say, and then wonder why it won't bend with your foot right away! ;) That's probably the cause of your (and most peoples') initial heel slip -- the new, stiff midsole is fighting your heel as you walk. My advice is to tie the boots as fully and as tight as possible for the first half dozen wears at least so you're firmly locked-down foot is forcing the sole to bend (as opposed to you foot just moving independently inside) and, as the sole does start to break in and bend, its flex point develops in the right place to keep your foot planted back in the heel cup.

for all that surplus tongue leather, most people do the center fold thing (a big center "S"). I've found this the fastest and easiest way. Some push the surplus down each side of the ankle, essentially creating two small "s" shapes on each side.

Enjoy the boots and may the break in be as painless as possible! In my experience it takes a while for such beefy footwear to start to feel natural on your feet -- heavy, stiff, and with a heel/arch design that I think made me subconsciously alter my gait a bit at first, leading to some random aches and pains.
Thank you. I found the S shaped tongue fold to be more comfortable.
I am going to walk for a mile (may be, half a mile hehe) after work (central time). So far, I love the arch support and that my feet can't feel the ground.
I also found the celastic toes to be sturdy, not in a bad way but I am thinking the third white pair I order will be with soft toe caps.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two days in and I'm completely taken aback by how much I like these. Really great grain break, and the smell is intoxicating. I'll admit I'm bias because I'm a sucker for plain, naked leather, but these are stupendous (sorry for using that adjective).

View attachment 1572312
View attachment 1572314
View attachment 1572315
View attachment 1572316
I have only worn my pair three times because it is mud season here in Maine.

I feel as if I should treat them with something to seal the surface of the raw leather against dirt and stains, but at the same time I do not want to darken the leather.

Are you treating yours with anything?

I have applied a couple light coats of VSC, and I feel they are better protected, and the color has not appreciably changed, but I am curious as to how others are caring for this leather...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wordfool , @Jimk4003
That's what midsole on my Burgundy HHs looks like (double midsole with leather slip).

HHmidsoles.jpg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel as if I should treat them with something to seal the surface of the raw leather against dirt and stains, but at the same time I do not want to darken the leather.

I have applied a couple light coats of VSC, and I feel they are better protected, and the color has not appreciably changed, but I am curious as to how others are caring for this leather...

I haven't yet, but I had the same thoughts. I've only worn them since Illinois has had some unseasonably warm weather (back to gloom and doom starting again tomorrow it looks like though). I tried a small bit of Bick 4, but didn't proceed. I was actually thinking of just saddle soaping them once to get over the hurdle. Nothing definitive yet though. I'll keep you posted if I choose to do anything.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if an abundance of UV light follows Maine mud season, but a few hours, or even a few days worth of suntanning can help the process along quite a bit.

Leveskie

Reaction score
My new ones started doing this, but only on one of the boots. I didn’t pull on them and make it any worse though. I worked a little bit of shoe goo in with a tooth pick and it’s been holding so far.
Normally whites have 9 screws in the sole. 3 on each side and 3 in the toe. For some reason mine only had the 3 on each side. So I added 5 to the toe. I got these resoled in 2019 and it sucked when I peeled the toe back.

Attachments

• 135256.jpeg
    135256.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 106

klank74

Reaction score
Normally whites have 9 screws in the sole. 3 on each side and 3 in the toe. For some reason mine only had the 3 on each side. So I added 5 to the toe. I got these resoled in 2019 and it sucked when I peeled the toe back.
Yeah that’s weird. Mine have them across the front.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wordfool I wonder how is the patina on your brown WF Bounty hunters? I am already thinking about a third pair of White's lol

wordfool

Reaction score
@wordfool I wonder how is the patina on your brown WF Bounty hunters? I am already thinking about a third pair of White's lol

Haven't worn them enough yet for anything much to develop (and snow doesn't do much, patina-wise). My experience with WF is that I'm not hard enough on my boots to get any meaningful wax wear for a long time. I'll report back in about a year!

climbinglife

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts or usage with Pisgah laces? Really like the different colors but at the same time, picking something is overwhelming lol. Lot of cool options to pair with Distressed RO :)

klank74

Reaction score
Question guys. If I order the 430 outsole with a double midsole and standard trim, will the outer welt stitching go through the outsole? On my work boots with the honey vibram and double midsole it does not, they are glued and screwed.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Question guys. If I order the 430 outsole with a double midsole and standard trim, will the outer welt stitching go through the outsole? On my work boots with the honey vibram and double midsole it does not, they are glued and screwed.
Could be wrong but I was under the impression that double row stitching got you stitching through the bottom and single row stitching did not on the 100 soles. Both pair of Whites with vibram 100 soles I've had has single row stitching and were just glued and screwed down, not thru stitch. The SDs I just got and returned had the half commando sole and single row stitching and it went through the sole so maybe its just with the 100 soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads