• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

klank74

Reaction score
Nothing like relaxing at home, on a snowy Sunday morning, while trying to break in your new Whites... while in your PJ’s?
E67E279E-61C4-4AD0-B148-F5DA7FF10BD2.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll also add that since you have bunions, lace to toe might be the style for you. That way you can adjust how tight the area is around your bunions.
This is excellent advice.
I join this opinion.

However, with regard to the above picture:

Nothing like relaxing at home, on a snowy Sunday morning, while trying to break in your new Whites... while in your PJ’s? View attachment 1550818
I would like to tell you that you need not ever justify Superman pajamas... but the combination with White's boots for some reason reminds me of this (the perspective makes those look like a size 5, not a size 13)...
1612713145913.png

Last edited:

klank74

Reaction score
This is excellent advice.
I join this opinion.

However, with regard to the above picture:

I would like to tell you that you need not ever justify Superman pajamas... but the combination with White's boots for some reason reminds me of this (the perspective makes those look like a size 5, not a size 13)...
View attachment 1550839
Haha! I’m more of a Batman fan myself, but my youngest son got me these for Christmas a couple years ago. He’s of the mindset that if he likes something, dad will like it too.? They turned out to be my most comfortable pair.

edinphila

Reaction score
I know it’s probably sacrilegious to mention it on here, but I was always a fan of wranglers cowboy cut jeans. I always went for the cheaper “rigid” ones, meaning they still had the starch in them and didn’t come prewashed. I would wear them as is, much the same as you guys with the raw denim do, and I found they would bleed into my boots in much the same way. It would be a cheaper alternative as well.
Costco jeans, $13.99. Invest the rest.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Well, that kind of misses the point of buying raw denim to go with your nice boots, does it not? A big part of why I got into White's was that they're made to last from tough-as-nails materials, including leather tanned in American tanneries, made in the USA by skilled craftsmen. If I'm leaving fast fashion and sweatshop crap behind in my footwear, I'm gonna do the same when it comes to my pants. Plenty of brands out there making very high quality stuff for decent prices where I can be happy that some workers are making a decent living making clothes they care about rather than paying some kid in a sweatshop pennies to slave away so some multinational execs can make their bucks.

The aforementioned Naked & Famous (good Japanese denim sewn in Canada), Gustin (American and Japanese denim, mostly, sewn in the USA), Left Field (usually American denim sewn in the USA). Lots of small Indonesian brands like Sage that are just a small family sewing jeans from almost always Japanese selvedge denim. Of course there are tons of options if you want to spend more money than that, but those are all good places to start for decent jeans.

There's also a new denim mill in the USA, called Vidalia Mills. For a bit of history, of course jeans are a very American piece of clothing and back in the day they were all made with selvedge denim on shuttle looms. In the 70s projectile loom technology appeared, which makes a more consistent product (some would say with less character) and production almost completely got moved overseas to sweatshops. The Japanese bought up all the old selvedge denim looms they could, which is why they still make the bulk of the selvedge denim in the old American style and why their denim and jeans are so revered. There was just one mill left owned by Cone Mills that finally bit the dust in 2017. However, Vidalia, a new startup, bought all the looms from the Cone Mills plant and is now once again producing American selvedge denim, paying American workers good wages to make quality fabric that'll get used in quality jeans.

Or just spend $14 on Costco jeans made in a sweatshop in Madagascar.

Last edited:

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Well, that kind of misses the point of buying raw denim to go with your nice boots, does it not? A big part of why I got into White's was that they're made to last from tough-as-nails materials, including leather tanned in American tanneries, made in the USA by skilled craftsmen. If I'm leaving fast fashion and sweatshop crap behind in my footwear, I'm gonna do the same when it comes to my pants. Plenty of brands out there making very high quality stuff for decent prices where I can be happy that some workers are making a decent living making clothes they care about rather than paying some kid in a sweatshop pennies to slave away so some multinational execs can make their bucks.

The aforementioned Naked & Famous (good Japanese denim sewn in Canada), Gustin (American and Japanese denim, mostly, sewn in the USA), Left Field (usually American denim sewn in the USA). Lots of small Indonesian brands like Sage that are just a small family sewing jeans from almost always Japanese selvedge denim. Of course there are tons of options if you want to spend more money than that, but those are all good places to start for decent jeans.

There's also a new denim mill in the USA, called Vidalia Mills. For a bit of history, of course jeans are a very American piece of clothing and back in the day they were all made with selvedge denim on shuttle looms. In the 70s projectile loom technology appeared, which makes a more consistent product (some would say with less character) and production almost completely got moved overseas to sweatshops. The Japanese bought up all the old selvedge denim looms they could, which is why they still make the bulk of the selvedge denim in the old American style and why their denim and jeans are so revered. There was just one mill left owned by Cone Mills that finally bit the dust in 2017. However, Vidalia, a new startup, bought all the looms from the Cone Mills plant and is now once again producing American selvedge denim, paying American workers good wages to make quality fabric that'll get used in quality jeans.

@iamntbatman,

Thanks for that post. There's some great info there.

edinphila

Reaction score

@iambatman-You make a number of excellent points. They just don’t apply to where I am in life. I never bought cheap shoes. I’m wearing a pair of 20 year old Aldens today. As for most other clothing items, I’m the guy who gets mustard on his new $80 dress shirt. I’m a slob at heart and have no need to impress anyone. My Rolex is in a drawer and I wear a G-Shock. In fact I was so impressed with the G-Shock I bought a second one. I have White’s and a few pair of Viberg (all but one, bought on sale) because I like the support a boot gives and did not think Aldens were worth what they were charging. I live in a place where nobody has heard of White’s, so I’m not getting any style points. But if I buy A $200 pair of jeans, the only thing I can guarantee you is you will see some of last night‘s dinner on them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t apologize brother, it’s an honor. I bought a belt in the same leather for 30 ish dollars on Etsy, I plan to run experiments on that belt, lets be honest, ain’t nobody tried it. I see a lot like a simple painting, blue paint on a blank canvas, of course those who love patina won’t approve but I’m on a budget and I know what I like. Lol, wish me luck

Or, you can just buy a pair of jeans and wear them with the boots.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@iambatman-You make a number of excellent points. They just don’t apply to where I am in life. I never bought cheap shoes. I’m wearing a pair of 20 year old Aldens today. As for most other clothing items, I’m the guy who gets mustard on his new $80 dress shirt. I’m a slob at heart and have no need to impress anyone. My Rolex is in a drawer and I wear a G-Shock. In fact I was so impressed with the G-Shock I bought a second one. I have White’s and a few pair of Viberg (all but one, bought on sale) because I like the support a boot gives and did not think Aldens were worth what they were charging. I live in a place where nobody has heard of White’s, so I’m not getting any style points. But if I buy A $200 pair of jeans, the only thing I can guarantee you is you will see some of last night‘s dinner on them.
I like your post. I am a huge fan of G-shock watches (currently own GPW-1000) but I also wear Garmin Fenix 5X for fitness tracking. My dress watches are not Rolex just simple Citizen and Seiko watches, they are sitting in a drawer. I agree with your point about Aldens. I think for Goodyear Welted boots and no arch support Aldens charge more. All my future purchases will be White's but I own several pairs of Allen Edmonds and I think their sale and Factory seconds' prices are second to none for shoes/boots made in the US.

klank74

Reaction score
I like your post. I am a huge fan of G-shock watches (currently own GPW-1000) but I also wear Garmin Fenix 5X for fitness tracking. My dress watches are not Rolex just simple Citizen and Seiko watches, they are sitting in a drawer. I agree with your point about Aldens. I think for Goodyear Welted boots and no arch support Aldens charge more. All my future purchases will be White's but I own several pairs of Allen Edmonds and I think their sale and Factory seconds' prices are second to none for shoes/boots made in the US.
I’m right there with you guys. Most of my jeans have been wrangler cowboy cuts, bought at a wrangler outlet, or Carhartt duck pants. Most of my boots have consisted of USA made Redwings factory seconds, or were bought on sale. My watches consist of 1 Orient, and 3 different Vostok’s. I try to buy American made when I can, but being a divorced dad of 2, it’s not always doable. It’s a case of champagne taste on a beer budget.?

edinphila

Reaction score
I have three pair of the factory second Daltons for wear with suits. I wonder if I will ever wear one again. As for the Rolex, it was my dad’s. An old girlfriend had given it to him. Never saw him wear it. He gave it to me when I was in college. I probably wore it 25 years and just got sick of cost of maintenance. For dress, I bought a Casio Oceanus. Had to order it from Japan. I don’t see myself in anything but White’s from here on in. But I will say that my Vibergs, once broken in, have become very comfortable; and for some reason, I keep listing after the Wesco Morrisons. By the way, another potential money pit in the watch department, since you mentioned Seiko, check out Grand Seiko. I think they may be the finest mechanical watches available, period. But that’s just my opinion and I’m sure others will differ fiercely.

klank74

Reaction score
I have three pair of the factory second Daltons for wear with suits. I wonder if I will ever wear one again. As for the Rolex, it was my dad’s. An old girlfriend had given it to him. Never saw him wear it. He gave it to me when I was in college. I probably wore it 25 years and just got sick of cost of maintenance. For dress, I bought a Casio Oceanus. Had to order it from Japan. I don’t see myself in anything but White’s from here on in. But I will say that my Vibergs, once broken in, have become very comfortable; and for some reason, I keep listing after the Wesco Morrisons. By the way, another potential money pit in the watch department, since you mentioned Seiko, check out Grand Seiko. I think they may be the finest mechanical watches available, period. But that’s just my opinion and I’m sure others will differ fiercely.
I got the idea in my head just before Christmas that I wanted a nice watch after telling myself for years that I have my cellphone, why do I need one? Big mistake. That’sa rabbit hole you don’t wanna go down. Granted, mine haven’t been anything super expensive, but now I found my grail watch and wanna start saving for that. A Glycine Airman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads