• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same here , Kyle's suggestion was spot on (at least based on what i read and hear , coz i have no measurement to go on as to say what is a good fit as these are my first pair of nicer boots) and the try on pair feels great. Try on pair was on 4811 and what i am planning is BH s on 55 . later i mentioned that i would need celastic toes and the Kyle suggested to actually try one with celastic toes with half a size down. so now i am waiting to hear from him about availability of a a pair, which i think will be tough as they should be 8 EE or 8Fs.
just curious, you mentioned availability, couldn't White's build you any size boot you need?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all these bisons today make me want a second pair...
you mean a second pair of Bisons? I am sure you own a boat load of White's.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is for me to try on. not my final build. just to make sure the size is ok with the celastic toes
okay got it! I ordered both pairs of boots with celastic toes, my try-on boots were without celastic but Brandon didn't mention going half size down. I trust his skills!!!

prasom

Reaction score
okay got it! I ordered both pairs of boots with celastic toes, my try-on boots were without celastic but Brandon didn't mention going half size down. I trust his skills!!!
my first try on were on 4811 and when celastic toe is added ,then too many variables are changed from my first try-ons(this was mentioned by Kyle and @legaleagles both)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my first try on were on 4811 and when celastic toe is added ,then too many variables are changed from my first try-ons(this was mentioned by Kyle and @legaleagles both)
you are a man of patience!!!

klank74

Reaction score
Just want to get the first one right :p
It’s tough. I did the same because I wanted to get my first pair right. I spent probably 5 years looking at everyones Whites on all the forums, planning my first build, saving up to get them, I figured a little longer wasn’t going to hurt. I think from the time I took my measurements and mailed them, to the time i tried the second try on pair and placed my order, it was a 3 month process with lots of emails and phone calls to Kyle and Brandon. It was so worth it though.

prasom

Reaction score
It’s tough. I did the same because I wanted to get my first pair right. I spent probably 5 years looking at everyones Whites on all the forums, planning my first build, saving up to get them, I figured a little longer wasn’t going to hurt. I think from the time I took my measurements and mailed them, to the time i tried the second try on pair and placed my order, it was a 3 month process with lots of emails and phone calls to Kyle and Brandon. It was so worth it though.
same here , it is a lengthy process and definitely requires patience. Also based on what i read here it is best to narrow down what you need before you actually place the order than making changes to the order later which would cause a lot of confusion and extra delays. Other thing have to do is finalize the leathers i want. so many nice leathers, so many dashing combinations but narrow down to one . that is the hardest. :p .

klank74

Reaction score
same here , it is a lengthy process and definitely requires patience. Also based on what i read here it is best to narrow down what you need before you actually place the order than making changes to the order later which would cause a lot of confusion and extra delays. Other thing have to do is finalize the leathers i want. so many nice leathers, so many dashing combinations but narrow down to one . that is the hardest. :p .
Yeah, it’s tough to decide with all the options. In the end, I followed some of Legal Eagles advice, kept it simple, and went with SD’s in brown dress, with toe caps. I requested the MP style toe cap stitching ( 4 rows) and khaki stitching throughout just to add a little something extra to the look of them. It was good advice. They’re nothing too crazy, go with most anything I wear, and it’s not something I’ll ever get sick of.... I’ll probably have this pair the rest of my life.

prasom

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s tough to decide with all the options. In the end, I followed some of Legal Eagles advice, kept it simple, and went with SD’s in brown dress, with toe caps. I requested the MP style toe cap stitching ( 4 rows) and khaki stitching throughout just to add a little something extra to the look of them. It was good advice. They’re nothing too crazy, go with most anything I wear, and it’s not something I’ll ever get sick of.... I’ll probably have this pair the rest of my life.
that is indeed good advice. fit is the most important for me this time. i might go with veg tan natural or nat CXL+Blck CXL. those are the current front runners.(bit away from simplicity) :

Last edited:

Bronco68

Reaction score
This is a non boot related post; however, it is feet related and I wanted to try and contribute something to this thread. It is regarding Darn Tough socks.

I’ve been looking for the perfect (at least for me) workout sock for decades...I prefer the 1/4 sock that goes just above the ankle for year-round use. Right after Thanksgiving, I purchased 3 pair of Darn Tough “Element 1/4 Sock Light Cushion” 1 White, 1 Grey, 1 Black. I wore them daily, even wearing them at night (35-years as Type 1 diabetic). On January 10/11, I purchased 4 more pair of the Black & 4 more of the Grey...the White looks good and feels just like the others, but not my style. If you play tennis they would probably be great.

I must point out that the fit is even better than the other multitude of Darn Tough socks I own...been wearing them so long I can’t remember exactly how long (5-7 years). I still own & wear the original pair I purchased at REI. What makes these the best is what everyone here is after...the arch support. The socks fit so nice and tight on my arches, it feels like in a way they are providing a little arch support even in my tennis shoes / sneakers...which actually feel better with these socks. Oh by the way, the 3 pair of shoes I rotate are almost 2-years old & if not for COVID would have already been replaced.

Daniel’s review of the Darn Tough “Element 1/4 Sock Light Cushion”.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads