• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
Hello, quite a thread and lots of fine footwear. I made my first Whites purchase at Bakers hoping to get feedback and guidance since I still wear work boots most of my day and am semi retired. I felt going to them would help me in getting the right fit since my feet have some problems. It has been disappointing. I was actually buying 3 pair from them, boots for different uses and it blew up in my face. They could not keep them straight. They sent me a pull on 16" Wesco to fit for a 8" Whites Custom Hunter. I thought the measurements meant something. the measurements have not in my case, I wrote a letter that accompanied my measurements giving my boot size history, medical problems, mentioned something I felt affected the tracing, etc and I can not find evidence they even read it. It appears in least in my case they send you a boot and you tell them how it feels and they make some boots off that. I told them to forget the other two pair they just could not carry on an email conversation. I am concerned about the made to order boots. Sounds like a lot of success here. the guy I wrote with was a Brandon, not helpful in my case. Maybe I would have better luck collecting watches rather than depending on a shoe salesman to go the extra mile. I just wanted a pair of boots that fit, well actually, a lot of boots that fit. Ones that make me not think about my feet. I just don't know what I did wrong in my choices. I might should cancel and forgot about it. I live in NC. Most folks here don't even wear shoes all year ;-). Nowhere near here to work one on one with someone in person that reps Whites..

What size did they suggest based on the measurements/notes you sent, and did it sound about right? The try-on pair does sounds a bit odd being a different brand and style, but it's worth noting that some Wesco and White's lasts are similar, and that Kyle/Brandon probably know their boots well enough to know how a fit in one will translate to a fit in another. Try-on boots are rarely the same as what you plan to order. They're just whatever they have to hand in a certain size/last.

It might be worth calling Baker's and speaking with Kyle or Brandon to discuss your concerns and hear their suggestions. If you can't get them when you call they usually call you back within a day. I have often found talking in person easier than communicating by email. It can be a bit of a pain to hammer out sizing, but it's worth it in the end!

Runon

Reaction score
Thanks for talking to me. A 9L10R and I have always worn a 12-13 wide depending on brand. My boots always are not all broke down on the sides so I know they have fit I even had my tailor measure my feet he has 50+ years with a tape measure. What went wrong? My guess was the compression socks I wear distorted my feet some and I told them and it fell on deaf ears or my Tailor was drunk cause thats a big difference. But the proofs in the pudding. The Wescos were 13E and it was perfect on the left and maybe a half long on the right, I am guessing on the right because there was a plastic insert in the toe that got in my way as I pushed down to find my toe. That one on the right instep being an issue or I would have never sent them back, the right boot was very tight around my instep. I wanted a pull on and a work boot and a dressy boot and next a caulk boot. If I can get out of this with a work boot I will feel lucky. I told them my toes need room. I will sleep on it and I will call them. They suck at email with me. Not that I am great. I gotta save it or cut and run. I think his last email said my boots have never fit. I let that slide cause I am 67 and being stupid did not get me this far. Unless Wesco uses vanity sizing in their boots where a 9 is really a 13. Those boots felt good. Never had a boot hold my heel so well, I like Wesco too now. The slide on was wrong because we need to know how that Hunter closes up. They are just busy and not willing to hire more people or work longer to hold enough hands to get you going. They had that sale on Whites and I was in a buying mood. too bad for me. I will update on how they handle it. That was hard sending those Wesco's back. I am going to be buried in the boots I wore that day so I got to have a pile of them to keep in rotation, wanna look sharp when I meet the Big man.;-)

What size did they suggest based on the measurements/notes you sent, and did it sound about right? The try-on pair does sounds a bit odd being a different brand and style, but it's worth noting that some Wesco and White's lasts are similar, and that Kyle/Brandon probably know their boots well enough to know how a fit in one will translate to a fit in another. Try-on boots are rarely the same as what you plan to order. They're just whatever they have to hand in a certain size/last.

It might be worth calling Baker's and speaking with Kyle or Brandon to discuss your concerns and hear their suggestions. If you can't get them when you call they usually call you back within a day. I have often found talking in person easier than communicating by email. It can be a bit of a pain to hammer out sizing, but it's worth it in the end!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, quite a thread and lots of fine footwear. I made my first Whites purchase at Bakers hoping to get feedback and guidance since I still wear work boots most of my day and am semi retired. I felt going to them would help me in getting the right fit since my feet have some problems. It has been disappointing. I was actually buying 3 pair from them, boots for different uses and it blew up in my face. They could not keep them straight. They sent me a pull on 16" Wesco to fit for a 8" Whites Custom Hunter. I thought the measurements meant something. the measurements have not in my case, I wrote a letter that accompanied my measurements giving my boot size history, medical problems, mentioned something I felt affected the tracing, etc and I can not find evidence they even read it. It appears in least in my case they send you a boot and you tell them how it feels and they make some boots off that. I told them to forget the other two pair they just could not carry on an email conversation. I am concerned about the made to order boots. Sounds like a lot of success here. the guy I wrote with was a Brandon, not helpful in my case. Maybe I would have better luck collecting watches rather than depending on a shoe salesman to go the extra mile. I just wanted a pair of boots that fit, well actually, a lot of boots that fit. Ones that make me not think about my feet. I just don't know what I did wrong in my choices. I might should cancel and forgot about it. I live in NC. Most folks here don't even wear shoes all year ;-). Nowhere near here to work one on one with someone in person that reps Whites..
So did you come here just to complain or do you have questions that we can actually help with? This is incredibly unusual for Bakers, but sometimes **** happens. I would reach out to them and explain what has happened and I’m confident they will make it right.

If you have weird feet accompanied but Medical issues that affect your fit, perhaps you should start with a conversation with Whites directly to see what they have to accommodate your needs. If you really have that much going on, you might be the special case which is going to have a harder than normal time getting set in the right pairs.

Reading through your posts, if this is how your are emailing them, I’m not surprised that some details are going missed. I don’t mean any disrespect if your ESL, but if your posts here are representative of how you email, you’re going to have a bad time. Sounds like the old fashion telephone might be a better option for you.

wordfool

Reaction score
Thanks for talking to me. A 9L10R and I have always worn a 12-13 wide depending on brand. My boots always are not all broke down on the sides so I know they have fit I even had my tailor measure my feet he has 50+ years with a tape measure. What went wrong? My guess was the compression socks I wear distorted my feet some and I told them and it fell on deaf ears or my Tailor was drunk cause thats a big difference. But the proofs in the pudding. The Wescos were 13E and it was perfect on the left and maybe a half long on the right, I am guessing on the right because there was a plastic insert in the toe that got in my way as I pushed down to find my toe. That one on the right instep being an issue or I would have never sent them back, the right boot was very tight around my instep. I wanted a pull on and a work boot and a dressy boot and next a caulk boot. If I can get out of this with a work boot I will feel lucky. I told them my toes need room. I will sleep on it and I will call them. They suck at email with me. Not that I am great. I gotta save it or cut and run. I think his last email said my boots have never fit. I let that slide cause I am 67 and being stupid did not get me this far. Unless Wesco uses vanity sizing in their boots where a 9 is really a 13. Those boots felt good. Never had a boot hold my heel so well, I like Wesco too now. The slide on was wrong because we need to know how that Hunter closes up. They are just busy and not willing to hire more people or work longer to hold enough hands to get you going. They had that sale on Whites and I was in a buying mood. too bad for me. I will update on how they handle it. That was hard sending those Wesco's back. I am going to be buried in the boots I wore that day so I got to have a pile of them to keep in rotation, wanna look sharp when I meet the Big man.;-)

Sounds like your measurements suggested a 9L10R, but knowing the size your current boots were prompted Baker's to send size 13 Wescos, which suggests they probably know there's some contradiction between measurements and reality and they're trying to reconcile it. A phone call is probably in order to discuss and figure out a way to refine the measurements to get a more accurate picture of what your feet need. It's all part of the process, which can take quite a lot of back-and-forth to dial in a final size recommendation. I've always found email to be a less than perfect way to discuss anything complicated like this -- too inefficient if there's a lot to discuss and not everyone is as articulate in writing vs. speaking.

Last edited:

Runon

Reaction score
So did you come here just to complain or do you have questions that we can actually help with? This is incredibly unusual for Bakers, but sometimes **** happens. I would reach out to them and explain what has happened and I’m confident they will make it right.

If you have weird feet accompanied but Medical issues that affect your fit, perhaps you should start with a conversation with Whites directly to see what they have to accommodate your needs. If you really have that much going on, you might be the special case which is going to have a harder than normal time getting set in the right pairs.

Reading through your posts, if this is how your are emailing them, I’m not surprised that some details are going missed. I don’t mean any disrespect if your ESL, but if your posts here are representative of how you email, you’re going to have a bad time. Sounds like the old fashion telephone might be a better option for you.
Sport, I was just marveling at how different my experience was to the majority of others and indicated that much. Did you miss that or did you want a bad outcome in our exchange? I also shared some detail. Also thanks for your limited insight into my communications skills. You felt you helped on that point. I feel enlightened.

There must be to much work in utilizing the measurements and it must be more efficient to send out boots to try on. Its all so romantic to have boots made to order and the notion is perpetuated and marketed. I guess me saying that out loud is like fighting words to those who had a better experience. This is more like just in time manufacturing and all the romantic circumstance gives you patience.

Its near impossible to talk on the phone and work through something complex when the other person has a phone ringing off the hook beside him. I live in NC and my phone records all my calls I then can critique and examine my interaction and with email you can trade facts. But, sometimes a email interaction can be spamed just the one interaction (or more) but not the whole thread ( sometimes), so you will end up missing a point. I am not perfect but my review shows I covered my bases. I would have covered more on the phone but that guy had other people waiting as the phone rang and rang and rang so I tried more email and using email you can wait until you can understand it or you can try and respond with a fire hose open in the other hand. They just did a poor job in my case. I might try once more.

So whether to call them or not has been covered here

Runon

Reaction score
Sounds like your measurements suggested a 9L10R, but knowing the size your current boots were prompted Baker's to send size 13 Wescos, which suggests they probably know there's some contradiction between measurements and reality and they're trying to reconcile it. A phone call is probably in order to discuss and figure out a way to refine the measurements to get a more accurate picture of what your feet need. It's all part of the process, which can take quite a lot of back-and-forth to dial in a final size recommendation. I've always found email to be a less than perfect way to discuss anything complicated like this -- too inefficient if there's a lot to discuss and not everyone is as articulate in writing vs. speaking.
I agree

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of getting the right fit, I could use help from the great folks here. I wore my try-on boots (E width) to take some pictures and I would like to know if these boots are narrow? please take a look at the pics.
standing pic ⬇
20210103_162403.jpg

standing pic, close-up ⬇
20210103_162528.jpg

right foot, while squatting ⬇
20210103_162540.jpg

left foot, while squatting ⬇
20210103_162547.jpg

Attachments

• 20210103_162528.jpg
    20210103_162528.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 64

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport, I was just marveling at how different my experience was to the majority of others and indicated that much. Did you miss that or did you want a bad outcome in our exchange? I also shared some detail. Also thanks for your limited insight into my communications skills. You felt you helped on that point. I feel enlightened.

There must be to much work in utilizing the measurements and it must be more efficient to send out boots to try on. Its all so romantic to have boots made to order and the notion is perpetuated and marketed. I guess me saying that out loud is like fighting words to those who had a better experience. This is more like just in time manufacturing and all the romantic circumstance gives you patience.

Its near impossible to talk on the phone and work through something complex when the other person has a phone ringing off the hook beside him. I live in NC and my phone records all my calls I then can critique and examine my interaction and with email you can trade facts. But, sometimes a email interaction can be spamed just the one interaction (or more) but not the whole thread ( sometimes), so you will end up missing a point. I am not perfect but my review shows I covered my bases. I would have covered more on the phone but that guy had other people waiting as the phone rang and rang and rang so I tried more email and using email you can wait until you can understand it or you can try and respond with a fire hose open in the other hand. They just did a poor job in my case. I might try once more.

So whether to call them or not has been covered here

Well thanks for confirming that you are only here to generally be a prick, sport.

I can see from your triggered response that your likely beyond help. MTO footwear with sizing guidance based off your actual foot...it has worked from the majority of us very well, but since it didn't work for you, it MUST BE romantic poppycock.

In the future, I'm sure your communication skills could be improved by being less emotional, and some level of proof reading.

I hope you have a better experience ordering your boots from elsewhere and that you receive the level of attention you feel you're deserving of.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of getting the right fit, I could use help from the great folks here. I wore my try-on boots (E width) to take some pictures and I would like to know if these boots are narrow? please take a look at the pics.
standing pic ⬇
View attachment 1528671

standing pic, close-up ⬇
View attachment 1528672

right foot, while squatting ⬇
View attachment 1528673

left foot, while squatting ⬇
View attachment 1528674
It's tough to gauge proper size by these types of pictures on their own. You do look like you're hanging over the welt a touch but that could or could not be a big deal. How do they feel? I'd provide the pictures and some feedback back to them on where you feel resistance or discomfort (if any) and go from there.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tough to gauge proper size by these types of pictures on their own. You do look like you're hanging over the welt a touch but that could or could not be a big deal. How do they feel? I'd provide the pictures and some feedback back to them on where you feel resistance or discomfort (if any) and go from there.
Appreciate your help, I was wearing darn tough socks and plan to wear the same socks, I feel like may be I am right between E and EE width. If I my assessment (between E and EE width) is right, should I go for EE or E width?
Thank you

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Luscombe I was looking at your boots pictures, post # 191,43 and it appears the welt stitching is more visible in the pics where you were standing?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your help, I was wearing darn tough socks and plan to wear the same socks, I feel like may be I am right between E and EE width. If I my assessment (between E and EE width) is right, should I go for EE or E width?
Thank you
If truly between widths, I would always go wider... boots can be laced tighter and socks made thicker, but these boots do not stretch too much... and too narrow will always be too narrow.

If you feel tightness across the arch or instep, like a firm handshake, that may break in. If you feel tight on the sides of the ball or toes, or you are overhanging the welt, that will not improve with time.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
In my experience if you're in between the two widths like that I'd go with the bigger one. Just a little extra room for your foot can be the difference between a nice, snug fit that doesn't feel confining, and one that's just a hair too tight which you can never stop noticing.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If truly between widths, I would always go wider... boots can be laced tighter and socks made thicker, but these boots do not stretch too much...

If you feel tightness across the ball or arch, like a firm handshake, that may break in. If you feel tight on the sides of the ball or toes, or you are overhanging the welt, that will not improve with time.
Thank you Sir, with my weird feet, my toes are swimming in the toe box and the arch is also narrow but I have a little snug feeling on the sides of the ball. With zero experience under my belt I took the squatting pics lol.
I envy folks with 'normal' feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads