• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skanstull

Reaction score
This is a picture posted today on the official White's Boots instagram.

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 16.24.35.png

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I have heard straight from the horse's mouth (bad joke?) that shell is a pain ********** (ooofff, another one) to work with. It would not remotely surprise me if a factory like White's only let the experienced people build those boots.

MikeLimaPapa

Reaction score
How long do your White's leather laces typically last you? Mine snapped after less than 2 months of light duty wear, and I don't feel like I lace them tightly.

I like the laces, but I don't want to have to buy new ones so often.

montanamike

Reaction score
How long do your White's leather laces typically last you? Mine snapped after lebss than 2 months of light duty wear, and I don't feel like I lace them tightly.

I like the look of them but left them behind at the end of my firefighting days. Mine were knotted together time after time. A sharp hook can be fixed easily if that is the cause of the break

cityofdelusion

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new on the forum and I specifically signed up to ask a question on this very helpful thread.

So a while ago I've ordered a pair of White's CXL brown lace-to-toe boots in the 4811 last. My left boot is a US7E while the right boot is a 7EE. White's has tagged my right boot as a 7E but upon contacting them, they reassured me that it's just a tagging mistake and that they would check if I sent them all the way back to them. As I live in Germany, that wasn't an option just to have them checked.

Fast forward to today (about a month later or so), I have a serious problem with the right boot: My right pinky toe is experiencing some pressure. It's touching the side of the boot right before the celastic toe area. It doesn't hurt but it's an uncomfortable touching/ pressure. I experience the same for my left pinky toe but it's definitely less noticeable than my right pinky toe.

I'm going to order a new pair of White's now and I've sent my full measurements to White's and Baker's. White's suggested I get US 8EE for my left foot and US7.5F for my right. Baker's suggested I should get 7.5EE for the left and 7.5F for the right. My left foot is 26cm and my right foot is 26.1cm when standing with the socks I always wear. When I put on my current SJ boots that are 7E left, 7EE right, my foot doesn't have too much space in length. However I don't experience any discomfort. I also have a pair of orthopedic insoles that were specifically made for me a while ago and when I put them in my boots, they sit just right in them. That's why I think the length is fine. If I went for US7.5, I would start tripping and I wouldn't be able to walk properly I feel like. I don't want to use any insoles to compensate for that either. So the best choice would be to stick with the US7 I think unless I went for the 55 last - then I could go for the 7.5 but I don't know how much different it is in length compared to my current US7 and I really like the 4811's arch support.

My main question is: How should I size my new pair of White's given the problem and information as described above?

Netvine

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new on the forum and I specifically signed up to ask a question on this very helpful thread.

So a while ago I've ordered a pair of White's CXL brown lace-to-toe boots in the 4811 last. My left boot is a US7E while the right boot is a 7EE. White's has tagged my right boot as a 7E but upon contacting them, they reassured me that it's just a tagging mistake and that they would check if I sent them all the way back to them. As I live in Germany, that wasn't an option just to have them checked.

Fast forward to today (about a month later or so), I have a serious problem with the right boot: My right pinky toe is experiencing some pressure. It's touching the side of the boot right before the celastic toe area. It doesn't hurt but it's an uncomfortable touching/ pressure. I experience the same for my left pinky toe but it's definitely less noticeable than my right pinky toe.

I'm going to order a new pair of White's now and I've sent my full measurements to White's and Baker's. White's suggested I get US 8EE for my left foot and US7.5F for my right. Baker's suggested I should get 7.5EE for the left and 7.5F for the right. My left foot is 26cm and my right foot is 26.1cm when standing with the socks I always wear. When I put on my current SJ boots that are 7E left, 7EE right, my foot doesn't have too much space in length. However I don't experience any discomfort. I also have a pair of orthopedic insoles that were specifically made for me a while ago and when I put them in my boots, they sit just right in them. That's why I think the length is fine. If I went for US7.5, I would start tripping and I wouldn't be able to walk properly I feel like. I don't want to use any insoles to compensate for that either. So the best choice would be to stick with the US7 I think unless I went for the 55 last - then I could go for the 7.5 but I don't know how much different it is in length compared to my current US7 and I really like the 4811's arch support.

My main question is: How should I size my new pair of White's given the problem and information as described above?
I have this problem too with the 55/4811 last. The only way to solve it may be to go to a different last like the swing last.

miggyramone

Reaction score
If the above bolded helps

I also believe that one of our resident experts (from memory it was @Legal Eagles ) had success ordering the swing with an increase in heel height to emphasize the arch.
Legal Eagle has also mentioned adding heel lifts to the build in order to crease a arch ease like arch. Maybe you can try that.

miggyramone

Reaction score
How long do your White's leather laces typically last you? Mine snapped after less than 2 months of light duty wear, and I don't feel like I lace them tightly.

I've found White's leather laces to last me at least 3 months. I've had multiple pairs of Guarded Goods leather laces snap on me after a few wear though. I wouldn't recommend that brand of leather laces.

klank74

Reaction score
So I did my tracings and measurements last night and I was wondering what I should put in the "additional instructions" section at the bottom of the measurement sheet. I'm assuming I want to include what shoes I have fit me best and what problems I normally have with fit? Also, would be ok to request that Kyle contact me via phone or email to discuss the issues I have with fit or does he usually contact you anyways?

discomute

Reaction score
So I did my tracings and measurements last night and I was wondering what I should put in the "additional instructions" section at the bottom of the measurement sheet. I'm assuming I want to include what shoes I have fit me best and what problems I normally have with fit? Also, would be ok to request that Kyle contact me via phone or email to discuss the issues I have with fit or does he usually contact you anyways?
Kyle will do anything to ensure you're happy with your boot.

JFetter

Reaction score
Thinking about ordering a second pair of White's, and I would appreciate some feedback on how boots should fit.

(Pics below - 9" BH, Distressed Smooth)

Kyle and White's were in agreement with my tracings, both suggested 11D.
While this has been pretty good, I feel that the sides of my feet need a bit more width. Boot comfort is hard to narrow down if you don't know what a "perfect" fit is, but I would say these boots have two issues:
  • Sides of feet are bulging the leather outwards (is this normal?)
  • Top of the foot (instep?) has been tight
The instep thing is actually noticeably improved by switching from leather laces.
My question is whether it's beneficial to have the leather hug the foot so darn tight. A few years ago, when the store associate was sizing me for Iron Rangers (12D), they also sized the boots so that my foot is bulging on both sides.

My thoughts are either:
1) look into the swing last, and therefore start my sizing saga all over again
2) Order another 55 last with D width in the heel and E width for the toes

It's not painful or anything to wear them, but it's tight enough that it probably isn't beneficial for foot health.

My second picture shows where the big toe ends inside the boot, and also shows where my foot is "pushing out" on the sides over the stitching.

Attachments

• E66919F9-CE89-4999-A7BE-587D6430B1DE_1_201_a.jpeg
    E66919F9-CE89-4999-A7BE-587D6430B1DE_1_201_a.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 663534E4-158C-4898-8951-464299B776B3_1_201_a.jpeg
    663534E4-158C-4898-8951-464299B776B3_1_201_a.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 169

miggyramone

Reaction score
Thinking about ordering a second pair of White's, and I would appreciate some feedback on how boots should fit.

(Pics below - 9" BH, Distressed Smooth)

Kyle and White's were in agreement with my tracings, both suggested 11D.
While this has been pretty good, I feel that the sides of my feet need a bit more width. Boot comfort is hard to narrow down if you don't know what a "perfect" fit is, but I would say these boots have two issues:
  • Sides of feet are bulging the leather outwards (is this normal?)
  • Top of the foot (instep?) has been tight
The instep thing is actually noticeably improved by switching from leather laces.
My question is whether it's beneficial to have the leather hug the foot so darn tight. A few years ago, when the store associate was sizing me for Iron Rangers (12D), they also sized the boots so that my foot is bulging on both sides.

My thoughts are either:
1) look into the swing last, and therefore start my sizing saga all over again
2) Order another 55 last with D width in the heel and E width for the toes

It's not painful or anything to wear them, but it's tight enough that it probably isn't beneficial for foot health.

My second picture shows where the big toe ends inside the boot, and also shows where my foot is "pushing out" on the sides over the stitching.
If you are truly interested in the Swing last, I'd ask Kyle for a recommendation. It won't be as much of a sizing saga as it feels. Kyle will go over your measurements again and most likely suggest the right size for the Swing last.

Keep in mind the Swing last does have a lower instep (with a lower arch). in my case, that made for a much tight instep than the 55. If you are already having instep issues AND you are in love with the arch ease, maybe go combination last.

I am right there with you regarding bulging out on the sides of your boots. This has alwyas been an issue with me, regardless of the last/size. I have fat feet and it's something I have had to accept.

Best of luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads