• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TH3515

Reaction score
I got my horsehide semidress today (exactly nine weeks after I ordered them if anyone is wondering about turnaround time). Has anyone ever received a pair with mismatched outsole and heel stack? I ordered natural since I already have three pairs with brown. It looks terrible to me, but I could be overreacting.

Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's
White's Leather: Brown Horse Hide
Last: #38 Swing Last
Leather Liner: Canyon/Red
Pull Loops: No Thanks
Toe Cap: No Thanks
Celastic Toe Box:
Hardware: All Brass Eyes
Midsole: Single
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: Standard
Sole: Leather
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Size - Length: 11
Size - Width: E

View attachment 1361685 View attachment 1361684 View attachment 1361689
#38 Swing, Horsehide, single leather sole – all the cool options! Lovely boots. Please also share a pic of them when you wear 'em!

I think the edge colour contrast (or "mismatch") may be unavoidable with single leather soles. The "oak" sole leather is a different type of leather than the midsole leather for rubber soles which is probably also used for the heel stack. Since you ordered "natural" edge, the original colour of the different leather types remains visible. With some wear, it'll become less obvious as the natural heel will darken quickly.

andy b.

Reaction score
The belt is from a company called Don't Mourn, Organize! It's their harness belt - you can choose the weight of the leather, the buckle style, color (including natural), and width. They also have horsehide belts in 9oz leather, including in natural. He makes a wallet in natural Essex leather as well, but I like more minimalist wallets so folding ones like that are out of the question for me.

Here's the belt. The first image shows how monstrously thick it is compared to my Pigeon Tree Crafting belt (he also makes nice belts, but more expensive and not as ludicrously overbuilt).

I have a similar belt I made probably 10 years ago. The natural leather shows all the scars and stains of life. It's the belt I wear most often unless their is a pressing need to wear black.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll leave this hear since we're just talking about leather work :)

My newly crafted wallet, damn near destroyed my hands in the process...

Veg tan weave and inner, oiled mocha exterior, and Color 8 shell card sleeves

Will go great with my White's

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

Woodtroll

Reaction score

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Red Dog:

Can anyone who has boots in Red Dog (Smooth or R/O) post pics please? Experiences/thoughts on it appreciated as well.

Really thinking about a pair of SD's in it.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Speaking of Red Dog and other White's leathers... I think I'm done with CXL. I hate how quickly it dents and scrapes. It starts off with a nice dressy sheen but ends up scratchy and patchy with wear. Maybe, I'm just not a fan of patina, but HH or Brown Dress don't do this.

wordfool

Reaction score
Since I have some extra time on my hands - wanted to see if people would be interested in matching belts for their boots?

Obviously wouldn't be able to offer all of White's leather selection, but maybe top 5 colors? CXLs, British Tan, distressed is what I'm thinking.

Thoughts?

What's important to people in a casual/jean belt? Lined, stitched, buckles, snaps/rivits/Chicago screws?

One feature I've come to love on belts, but which is still rare, is holes spaced 3/4" apart instead of the usual 1" apart. Makes it much easier to fine-tune the fit without having to punch extra holes.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Speaking of Red Dog and other White's leathers... I think I'm done with CXL. I hate how quickly it dents and scrapes. It starts off with a nice dressy sheen but ends up scratchy and patchy with wear. Maybe, I'm just not a fan of patina, but HH or Brown Dress don't do this.
I don't have much interest in CXL although I do own some casual loafers in it, I'd love to see some boots with latigo or chromepak though.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
One feature I've come to love on belts, but which is still rare, is holes spaced 3/4" apart instead of the usual 1" apart. Makes it much easier to fine-tune the fit without having to punch extra holes.

That's why I'm a big fan of the ratchet style belt buckles. 1/4" adjustments as much as you want. And there are quite a few companies making them in nice leather.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Wow, those took on a really nice and complex color. Almost looks like Color#8. What was your care regimen and how were the boots used?

My phone does a bad job of capturing the color. It's a bit washed out in the pics. But yea, they look pretty close to brown smooth now. I used Obenauf's heavy duty LP here and there. Lately I've just been using their oil every 3-6 months, mainly after doing a cleaning with saddle soap. After the cleaning, they look more like the original color, but the oil darkens them up again.

I work in the produce department of a Whole Foods, so they get wet and scuffed a lot and I've taken a few chunks of leather out from bashing against various sharp pieces of metal.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
My phone does a bad job of capturing the color. It's a bit washed out in the pics. But yea, they look pretty close to brown smooth now. I used Obenauf's heavy duty LP here and there. Lately I've just been using their oil every 3-6 months, mainly after doing a cleaning with saddle soap. After the cleaning, they look more like the original color, but the oil darkens them up again.

I work in the produce department of a Whole Foods, so they get wet and scuffed a lot and I've taken a few chunks of leather out from bashing against various sharp pieces of metal.

Nice work boots, can tell they've been used but cared for!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads