• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time lurker first time poster. This forum got me on the White's train with a pair of MPs in brown CXL. I just followed that up this morning with a pair of caramel suede Main Streets thanks to White's President's Day sale and a pair of Bounty Hunters in Black CXL should be shipping any time now.

Quick question: is the "suede" in the Main Street line really suede or just rough out? I'd much rather them be RO, but for ~$270 shipped for a pair of White's I'm not complaining if they're suede

wordfool

Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time lurker first time poster. This forum got me on the White's train with a pair of MPs in brown CXL. I just followed that up this morning with a pair of caramel suede Main Streets thanks to White's President's Day sale and a pair of Bounty Hunters in Black CXL should be shipping any time now.

Quick question: is the "suede" in the Main Street line really suede or just rough out? I'd much rather them be RO, but for ~$270 shipped for a pair of White's I'm not complaining if they're suede
White's has a Presidents Day sale? Is it in-store only? I see no mention on the website.

Since the Main Street "Town" line generally uses cheaper/thinner leathers than White's other lines it's probably suede, which is indeed generally cheaper and thinner than true full-grain rough-out (suede and rough-out come from different parts of the animal skin IIRC).

wordfool

Reaction score
Thanks... weird that there's no mention of any sale on the site until you put something in your cart. Must be a mailing-list thing.

andy b.

Reaction score
Here's the best photo I could get. The leather is smooth on the entire inside of the toe/vamp. Looking at the edge it appears to be only a single thickness of leather. The leather beyond the seam is the back side of the exterior leather of the boot as far as I can tell.
20200214_231038.jpg

Leveskie

Reaction score
White's has a Presidents Day sale? Is it in-store only? I see no mention on the website.

Since the Main Street "Town" line generally uses cheaper/thinner leathers than White's other lines it's probably suede, which is indeed generally cheaper and thinner than true full-grain rough-out (suede and rough-out come from different parts of the animal skin IIRC).
Suede is thinner than rough out. There are 3 parts to the leather and suede is cut down to only the flesh side. Where rough out has all 3 layers with smooth side toward the foot. I cant remember what all 3 parts are called but suede is definitely thinner and cheaper.

Turns31

Reaction score
Just received my Main Streets back from White's to get the right one stretched out to match the left. While the fit is better I'm just too OCD about the bad grain break on the left boot. I know I'll take crap from it here (these are boots, beat them up!!) but it would drive me crazy seeing it everyday. I have beater boots and was planning to wear these with chinos to the office.

For some reason they didn't return the promotional White's tee, key chain and the round laces the boots shipped with. I would have at least worn that awesome tee but oh well. Win some you lose some. That being said I'll make someone a sweet deal on a pair of 9E British Tan CXL Main Streets that have been worn less than 8 hours.

discomute

Reaction score
Just received my Main Streets back from White's to get the right one stretched out to match the left. While the fit is better I'm just too OCD about the bad grain break on the left boot. I know I'll take crap from it here (these are boots, beat them up!!) but it would drive me crazy seeing it everyday. I have beater boots and was planning to wear these with chinos to the office.

For some reason they didn't return the promotional White's tee, key chain and the round laces the boots shipped with. I would have at least worn that awesome tee but oh well. Win some you lose some. That being said I'll make someone a sweet deal on a pair of 9E British Tan CXL Main Streets that have been worn less than 8 hours.
You won't take crap from me. These are Main Streets, not smoke jumpers. They're supposed to be worn in, at minimum, semi dress environments. I wear mine with suits. So don't be apologetic about how you feel. As I was ranting about recently, CXL is an amazingly beautiful leather that isn't fit for any purpose.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score

Have any pics? I'm potentially interested

discomute

Reaction score
They're here! Took about 7 weeks but they're worth the wait. The very first thing I did was put on my boot socks and check the fit. It was spot on. As tight as a new cxl boot should be. Fit and finish seams great outta the box. Nice and tight vamp creasing as well. I took pics besides my Blacksmiths and Grant Stones for a comparison. Super early but I do recommend these to anyone looking for a boot that looks just as good with chinos as they do with jeans. Planning on ordering my 2nd pair later this week.
I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.
If I quote these will that work?

Edit - yeah click on the name and it'll take you there

I personally love this build

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 145 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%