• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Got bored last night and decided to give my Brown CXL Sd's a soft shine. I like it, but I don't know if I would do this regularly. They made for some nice Friday night shoes, that's for sure.

This Friday night was resolene. What a life I lead.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time lurker first time poster. This forum got me on the White's train with a pair of MPs in brown CXL. I just followed that up this morning with a pair of caramel suede Main Streets thanks to White's President's Day sale and a pair of Bounty Hunters in Black CXL should be shipping any time now.

Quick question: is the "suede" in the Main Street line really suede or just rough out? I'd much rather them be RO, but for ~$270 shipped for a pair of White's I'm not complaining if they're suede

wordfool

Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time lurker first time poster. This forum got me on the White's train with a pair of MPs in brown CXL. I just followed that up this morning with a pair of caramel suede Main Streets thanks to White's President's Day sale and a pair of Bounty Hunters in Black CXL should be shipping any time now.

Quick question: is the "suede" in the Main Street line really suede or just rough out? I'd much rather them be RO, but for ~$270 shipped for a pair of White's I'm not complaining if they're suede

White's has a Presidents Day sale? Is it in-store only? I see no mention on the website.

Since the Main Street "Town" line generally uses cheaper/thinner leathers than White's other lines it's probably suede, which is indeed generally cheaper and thinner than true full-grain rough-out (suede and rough-out come from different parts of the animal skin IIRC).

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White's has a Presidents Day sale? Is it in-store only? I see no mention on the website.
1581705172830.png

wordfool

Reaction score
Thanks... weird that there's no mention of any sale on the site until you put something in your cart. Must be a mailing-list thing.

andy b.

Reaction score
Here's the best photo I could get. The leather is smooth on the entire inside of the toe/vamp. Looking at the edge it appears to be only a single thickness of leather. The leather beyond the seam is the back side of the exterior leather of the boot as far as I can tell.
20200214_231038.jpg

Leveskie

Reaction score

Since the Main Street "Town" line generally uses cheaper/thinner leathers than White's other lines it's probably suede, which is indeed generally cheaper and thinner than true full-grain rough-out (suede and rough-out come from different parts of the animal skin IIRC).
Suede is thinner than rough out. There are 3 parts to the leather and suede is cut down to only the flesh side. Where rough out has all 3 layers with smooth side toward the foot. I cant remember what all 3 parts are called but suede is definitely thinner and cheaper.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Here is the inside toe/vamp of a pair of packers, built of black oil tan leather, purchased last fall. Definitely no toe/vamp lining in these.
IMG_1228.JPG

Turns31

Reaction score
Just received my Main Streets back from White's to get the right one stretched out to match the left. While the fit is better I'm just too OCD about the bad grain break on the left boot. I know I'll take crap from it here (these are boots, beat them up!!) but it would drive me crazy seeing it everyday. I have beater boots and was planning to wear these with chinos to the office.

For some reason they didn't return the promotional White's tee, key chain and the round laces the boots shipped with. I would have at least worn that awesome tee but oh well. Win some you lose some. That being said I'll make someone a sweet deal on a pair of 9E British Tan CXL Main Streets that have been worn less than 8 hours.

discomute

Reaction score
Just received my Main Streets back from White's to get the right one stretched out to match the left. While the fit is better I'm just too OCD about the bad grain break on the left boot. I know I'll take crap from it here (these are boots, beat them up!!) but it would drive me crazy seeing it everyday. I have beater boots and was planning to wear these with chinos to the office.

For some reason they didn't return the promotional White's tee, key chain and the round laces the boots shipped with. I would have at least worn that awesome tee but oh well. Win some you lose some. That being said I'll make someone a sweet deal on a pair of 9E British Tan CXL Main Streets that have been worn less than 8 hours.

You won't take crap from me. These are Main Streets, not smoke jumpers. They're supposed to be worn in, at minimum, semi dress environments. I wear mine with suits. So don't be apologetic about how you feel. As I was ranting about recently, CXL is an amazingly beautiful leather that isn't fit for any purpose.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score

Have any pics? I'm potentially interested

discomute

Reaction score
They're here! Took about 7 weeks but they're worth the wait. The very first thing I did was put on my boot socks and check the fit. It was spot on. As tight as a new cxl boot should be. Fit and finish seams great outta the box. Nice and tight vamp creasing as well. I took pics besides my Blacksmiths and Grant Stones for a comparison. Super early but I do recommend these to anyone looking for a boot that looks just as good with chinos as they do with jeans. Planning on ordering my 2nd pair later this week.

I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.

If I quote these will that work?

Edit - yeah click on the name and it'll take you there

I personally love this build

discomute

Reaction score
Well guys I've made it my mission to read this entire thread. 250 pages through, here are some highlights for you...

First Great quotes

20200215_200757.jpg

Joke of the thread!

20200215_200312.jpg

On White's in general

Unique builds...

20200215_200649.jpg

20200215_200432.jpg

Screenshot_20200215-171913_Chrome.jpg

Two Tones was very big, I'd say 50% of the photos. Bison also featured heavily at the start. A lot of debate about information we tank for granted now like durability of CXL Vs Oiltan.

Also... I really think colours used to be lighter
20200215_200541.jpg

Brown dress
20200215_200603.jpg

Brown smooth
20200215_200511.jpg

Brown smooth on red dog

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads