• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

winkzy

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm going to trace my foot and then send it to Bakers. I have a few questions so that I can trace my foot accurately. Is there a specific way to trace the foot? I know you hold the pen straight up, but do we use this paper provided on the Baker's site? https://www.bakershoe.com/content/foot-measuring-tips

Or do we just draw on a regular piece of paper and measure from there? Do you draw a box around the foot and measure the length and width? Did you guys do it yourselves? Standing or sitting?

Thanks!

TH3515

Reaction score
A few days ago these boots appeared on White's ebay outlet whitesriver:

10'' dress boot.jpg

The description says 10'' dress boot and points out a 3/16'' welt under "Special". Isn't it amazing how slender and elegant a 55 last boot can look?

Question to @sambam or @Quack Attack : is the 3/16'' welt an MTO option, and how does it differ from the normal narrow trim?

I'm afraid I'll want a pair...

b1lf

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm going to trace my foot and then send it to Bakers. I have a few questions so that I can trace my foot accurately. Is there a specific way to trace the foot? I know you hold the pen straight up, but do we use this paper provided on the Baker's site? https://www.bakershoe.com/content/foot-measuring-tips

Or do we just draw on a regular piece of paper and measure from there? Do you draw a box around the foot and measure the length and width? Did you guys do it yourselves? Standing or sitting?

Thanks!

Ideally you’d print the paper from Baker’s site on LEGAL sized paper. Print it off at work (if you work in an office), or go to FedEx Print & Ship center and have them do it for you.

Then* use the video guide that someone else posted for actual measuring process, then mail that physical piece of paper in. Don’t scan/fax for best results as that can distort the image.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Another piece of advice: if you don't have access to legal sized paper for printing the official White's fit sheet, you can use the fit sheet from Frank's Boots (another PNW bootmaker founded somewhat recently by people who worked at Nick's). It's designed to be printed on standard A4 paper with two sheets taped together for bigger feet. That's what I had to do since legal sized paper isn't really a thing where I live.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
. Isn't it amazing how slender and elegant a 55 last boot can look?..

you can largely chalk that up to the leather sole on this pair. Deleting the rubber outsole makes a HUGE difference in how sleek a boot is/appears. An unstructured/soft toe has the same effect. I whole-heartedly agree though!!

Reaction score
Okay! Sent my tracings in and about to take the plunge.

Bounty Hunter Brown Horsehide
All Antique eyes
No Celastic Toe box (back and forth on this)
Brown Edge
Standard Heel
Standard Lift
7" height
Standard lacing
Semi dress last
No Half slip
Yes leather laces
cream liner
no lineman patch
single midsole
Yes pull loops
Vibram 700 (or 430 or commando)
standard trim
Medallian cap toe (or plain toe)
No Logo
Cut Top

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
you're gonna love the HH. i have a medallion toe cap on the HH Semi Dress & i think it's very fitting for HH. Sounds like you're gonna go half sole right? the uninterrupted heel stack is a good look IMHO the half sole defaults you into a double mid which i really like. My waxed flesh BH's have that & i like it quite a bit. only drawback in not being able to a kick a shovel.

are you set on the eyelets all the way up? a lot of folks order that configuration but personally i find the speed hooks to be incredibly helpful. on my work boots I even have the "top garment" as hooks

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're gonna love the HH. i have a medallion toe cap on the HH Semi Dress & i think it's very fitting for HH. Sounds like you're gonna go half sole right? the uninterrupted heel stack is a good look IMHO the half sole defaults you into a double mid which i really like. My waxed flesh BH's have that & i like it quite a bit.

Don’t your HH SDs have that same half sole as well, or am I misremembering?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ speed hooks are handy, but they can be a pain in the neck catching on your pants. I prefer all eyelets, but then I’ve never had a boot taller than 6 inches with that configuration...

Reaction score
you're gonna love the HH. i have a medallion toe cap on the HH Semi Dress & i think it's very fitting for HH. Sounds like you're gonna go half sole right? the uninterrupted heel stack is a good look IMHO the half sole defaults you into a double mid which i really like. My waxed flesh BH's have that & i like it quite a bit. only drawback in not being able to a kick a shovel.

are you set on the eyelets all the way up? a lot of folks order that configuration but personally i find the speed hooks to be incredibly helpful. on my work boots I even have the "top garment" as hooks

I was still considering going halfsole, and I had heard it adds another leather stack in, I have worn double leather soles before so I understand how thick that is. Why can't you kick a shovel???

I am definitely all about the all eyelets. I have actually made my other boots that had hooks into all eyelet boots. It takes maybe a minute longer to lace up in the morning but I find the eyelets hold my laces more securely.

can you send me some pics of your boots?

winkzy

Reaction score
Another piece of advice: if you don't have access to legal sized paper for printing the official White's fit sheet, you can use the fit sheet from Frank's Boots (another PNW bootmaker founded somewhat recently by people who worked at Nick's). It's designed to be printed on standard A4 paper with two sheets taped together for bigger feet. That's what I had to do since legal sized paper isn't really a thing where I live.

I have legal paper and just traced it according to the video provided above. Did you happen to mail the paper to the physically or did you email them a photo/scan of it?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I have legal paper and just traced it according to the video provided above. Did you happen to mail the paper to the physically or did you email them a photo/scan of it?

Definitely send it in physically just to avoid any issues with the image getting resized incorrectly somewhere in the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads