1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Victor Shadow, Sep 28, 2010.

1. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

Right on.

2. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

im not sure i buy into certain types of leather not taking a shine. i could put a literal mirror finish on my combat boots in BCT that you could see your reflection in. that leather was nothing to write home about but it was certainly tough.

I posted this pic a while ago of their Brown work leather with bare minimum effort polishing. applied a dab of polish & brushed them down. if i actually put in some effort i'd be embarrassed to wear them on a job site bc they'd look way too fancy.

3. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Senior Member

Those look nice... my experience has been that oil impregnated leathers, like oil tan and chromexcel can be brought to a "decent" shine, but I have always first had to clean the leather with saddle soap to remove some oil from the surface before they would polish up... too much work for work boots... the wax for me just seems to sit on the surface and get pushed around instead of forming a smooth layer... this is with Saphir, Lincoln, and Angelus...

I have noted too that the older the boots get, the easier they are to shine... maybe because the oil has been worked out of the surface... like the saddle soap, but through normal means...

Plus, there is a "shine" and then there is a "shine"... I have never been able to get chromexcel to do this... maybe I need to try harder:

IMG-2615.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

4. kekekekai

kekekekai Senior Member

5. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

@Legal Eagles - several valid points you make there & I agree with them all. my work leather wouldn't take a shine new and the amount of surface oil as you mentioned is why. after wearing them for a couple months it balances out and something happens to the leather. it seems to harden up & condition into different state than new. it's not as oily or soft. after washing them up with saddle soap from the beating they take out in the field, the polish is easy to apply & buff. not something you can do out of the box. unfortunately, my polish jobs are usually toast after a day of work. still feels good to give em' love and see what's underneath the mud & scuffs. i look forward to retiring them from field work someday & having White's rebuilding them w/o the steel toe. they will be a great pair of casual boots.

edit: @kekekekai - that's a great polish job. reminds me what my combat boots would like after sitting around in the barracks and BS'ing with the boys and get'n our shine on. friendly competition and good memories. we used Lincoln wax polish & a bit of Seal a Shine if we wanted to go full mirror.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

6. justsayno

justsayno Distinguished Member

The Horse hide ltt in natural light

5BCFBD14-8832-4108-9B3D-6A3FAB6BDD12.jpeg

D1BD75D6-2C5F-4A06-BE47-6D2DE5E873B7.jpeg

7. linafelt

8. iamntbatman

iamntbatman Senior Member

My Cykel engineer boots came in on Saturday! It's hard to compare exactly, but I think the fit on these is probably pretty similar to the 55 last. I sized up to an 11EE (from my standard 11E) on the left boot since they can't do E widths on these, so it's a little looser than my 55 last boots. The right is a 10.5EE, same as my 55 last boots, but is noticeably tighter around the instep - but, I've been wearing these with the OrthoLite insoles they came with, whereas my Bounty Hunters are just the bare leather footbed. If I took out that insole the fit might be the same.

The construction isn't standard White's construction - I guess "clamp down" is more like a Hathorn boot. It's hand-lasted and hand-bottomed, but not hand-welted; instead of that rolled Norwegian welt it's just a simple stitch-down. The look is not too dissimilar from a standard White's welt, though. The stitching is pretty solid everywhere, though similar to my MP's there's a bit of inconsistency in stitch length. Less noticeable here since it's a double row of stitching.

Went with black smooth leather, brown edge trim, and the Vibram 430. Honestly I think these would look killer in distressed (either smooth or rough out), but I wanted classic black for now. Maybe down the road I'll pick up a second pair in distressed RO.

These are really a steal at this price point. Cheaper boots by Chippewa and Red Wing really seem like skimpy junk by comparison (especially since they don't have true leather stacked heels) and other solidly constructed boots cost a whole lot more. Of course, you could always spend $50+ more on Nomads and customize a bit more, plus get the hand-welted construction. But, these are good enough to fill my engineer boot niche.

9. linafelt

They look great! I have never worn engineer boots, but growing up in a working class Western PA in the 1970s the truly cool dudes wore them (mostly the ones who had motorcycles). So I have a soft spot for them...

10. bluesmandan

bluesmandan Member

Can’t open the link...?

11. iamntbatman

Does this work?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

12. bluesmandan

bluesmandan Member

No. Unsupported video. ????

13. iamntbatman

It's not a video, just a standard imgur embed. Dunno what to tell you, sorry man!

14. Crit_Obs

Crit_Obs Senior Member

Works great here, congrats on a good looking pair of boots. How's the arch-ease on this last?

15. iamntbatman

It's slightly hard to say, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's similar to the 55 last. Hard to say because my 55 last boots are fully broken in now and these aren't just yet, so it's hard to compare with the memory of my new Bounty Hunters. Plus, these came with OrthoLite insoles that might alleviate some of the initial severity of the arch-ease.

Definitely more arch support than the MP, though.