• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YTHMNSTRY

Reaction score
My SD's in the standard brown dress leather is starting to look a bit dry. Anyone have a favorite polish / conditioner to recommend for their brown dress?
For conditioner I like Lexol or Bick 4.

Mathfish

Reaction score
Based on your leather being a bit dry.
My opinion only...
Obinauf probably to heavy for your needs
Pecard Antique Leather Dress can be used on new leather one of my #1 choice
Fiebring's my #2 choise
Meltonian conditioner a lighter conditioner for well maintained leather. My choice after the leather has healed.
All four of your products have been praised by different leather suppliers or boot manufacturers. All are quality products, you have no need to buy new conditioners.
Obinauf and Meltonian at opposite ends of the spectrum.
White's boots sells and puts their name behind both Fiebring's and Pecard's.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, very helpful.

I laid down a few layers of Meltonian conditioner and brushed the boots and that did the trick. The leather looks great and it didn't change the color or patina.

White's brown dress is my favorite leather of theirs. It ages so well. I like plenty of other leathers, including cxl variations, but the dress leather is the only leather I know of that's totally unique to Whites. It's so good.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I laid down a few layers of Meltonian conditioner and brushed the boots and that did the trick. The leather looks great and it didn't change the color or patina.

White's brown dress is my favorite leather of theirs. It ages so well. I like plenty of other leathers, including cxl variations, but the dress leather is the only leather I know of that's totally unique to Whites. It's so good.
Pics..?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still dark here in California but I'll snap some when it lightens up.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score

Trapp--

Agree, brown dress is a great choice - must be while I have two pair using that leather!

Will you share what laces you are running? I have switched a few times and find that they end up slipping around too much and aren't holding position. Mind you, the pair experiencing this anomaly is all eyelets.

Cheer!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
101_1821.JPG

101_1822.JPG

101_1825.JPG

101_1826.JPG

101_1825.JPG

TH3515

Reaction score
^beautiful patina / evolution!

Heel is lifted by 1/4", right?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't remember the precise heel lift...I got these many years ago. It's pretty much just the original old school stock configuration, no frills.

Last edited:

Mathfish

Reaction score
I went to Bakers Boots and counted the leather and sole layers and compared to the dress brown semi dress. Seems to be a standard heel height.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try as I might, I have never been able to fall in love with Chromexcel for boots... I do agree with you however that Brown Dress, and its big brother brown Elk Tan (Dry Tan) are White's best all-around leather for semi dress boots... it ages so well, yet still takes a shine.

Last edited:

Raminwhites

Reaction score
Personally I will not choose to build boots with cxl, but from I came, people favor cxl a lot, I never see the reason. As the stocked boots here are mostly built in cxl, I had no choice but went for it, but I won't custom build with it anymore.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree. I wanted to like CXL but don’t really get the appeal in then end.

On the other hand I have to agree that the brown dress is excellent.

Two great looking pairs of boots @Trapp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads