1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

Gee I wonder why they are selling everything but the kitchen sink on eBay for cost.... Made In Japan reminds me of woops, never mind....

2. meso

meso Senior member

They've been selling under whitesriver on ebay since 2005, and there hasn't been a price cut lately.

2 people like this.
  3. meso

meso Senior member

Nice. Not a huge fan of the cork sole tho. News of sale to Danner might be enough to get me to push my order for oxfords through on the sooner side.

4. dug54

dug54 New Member

I'm about ready to order a pair of smokejumpers and need some help/advice. I can't decide on the last. I'm having trouble deciding between the 461 and standard lasts. I ordered a few pair of smokejumpers to verify size and wasn't overly happy with the toe shape - kind of square/box. I'm describing the toe shape when standing looking down on the top of the boot. I've seen several photos of smokejumpers and they don't appear to be as square as the ones I received from Bakers. Maybe most of the photos I've seen are with the 461 last? Can someone explain the differences between the 2 lasts? I understand the 461 is more up-turned but is that all? Thanks in advance.

5. mojahanafiah

mojahanafiah Active Member

Too bad..hope white's dont become a new red wing..

6. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

How so? What's wrong with the Red Wing Heritage line?

7. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

I thought the 461 had a slightly roomier toe box as well as being upturned.

8. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

The SJ`s in lace to toe I`ve seen seem quite square - is it not this that makes the difference you are talking about - have you tried the standard lace last? I think the 461 goes the the other extreme of upturned and roominess, but were the boots you saw Lace to toe?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Yeah the 461 is significantly sprung in the toe (though not as much as the Viberg 310) and is a bit roomier in my experience. The SD last has a little bit of an upturn and a nice shape; with the celastic toe it gives it some good roundedness (about like an Iron Ranger I would say). I think both of these lasts look great, better than the standard smokejumper shape. I think the question is how much of an upturn are you looking for?

10. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I am with you on the sole... These were on sale for a couple of days and i was tempted, but not quite enough to pull the trigger.

Have you ever looked at Rolling Dub Trio or Slow Wear Lion (totally great names each..) mid cut boots? Really nice I think, though they have to be ordered from Japan I believe, and with cork soles.

Rolling Dub Trio:
    [​IMG]

Slow Wear Lion:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. dug54

dug54 New Member

I ordered both the plain toe and lace to toe and both seemed more "square" than I was expecting. It's not necessarily bad, I just want a more rounded toe. Like I said, I've seen several photos of SJ's, both in lace to toe and plain toe, that appear to have a more rounded toe than what I saw in person. I'm not sure if I'd like the upturned toe with the 461. It seems like a lot of folks like this.

12. dug54

dug54 New Member

13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Sounds like the Bounty Hunter is what you want.... Here is an updated pic of my pair, with about two dozen wears under their belt.

As you can see, you get just a bit of sprung toe, and a nice (I think) roundedness to it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

Nothing is wrong with Red Wings. For the money they're a decent value, but when you're talking quality White's make Red Wings seem like Red Wings make Timberland seem. In general I would say it's worth it to pony up the additional $50-$100 for a pair of custom White's Semi Dress if someone is in the market for a pair of $300 Red Wings.

15. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

The RedWing Heritage line are good boots just need to soften up the leather

lay it on heavy thick and wet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

outside in 90 plus degree weather ideal

One hour later, 100% absorbed

[​IMG]

16. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Oxfords (I assume we're talking the Hathorn Rainier / Bakers Oxford) - what last do they use? It looks like the Northwest. Also, anyone know how customizable they are beyond what Bakers shows on the site? I've seen one with a traditional leather and vibram sole, and one out of grey roughout, but that's it. I'd love a pair on the SD last, or at least with a white Christy sole, but that's just me.

17. 4characters

4characters Senior member

18. 4characters

4characters Senior member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member