• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
These 10" FRs (4811 last) are going to be the new property "work" boots for sure - the oil tan leather is a dull matt, not pretty enough to do anything other than chores and the all-in price definitely won't make me cry when they start getting character scars (unlike the recent pair$), so no second thoughts there.

Been using the Hathorn 8" Ranch packer (208MV, 55 last) for all the down and dirty property work for the last handful of years. They have been wet, muddy, snow covered, abraded, dirty, dusty, branches and tree limbs attempted punctures - the rough out red dog simply only shrugged, needed to be brushed off, occasionally oiled and put on the boot dryer. These have bee through hell and they keep going!

I have no doubt others before me have punished their White's far more ...

Cheers,

Last edited:

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Speaking of the Hathorn 8" Ranch packer (208MV, 55 last) -- here they are getting some action in the heat.

The Red Dog RO leather has definitely aged into a nice brown tone.

Build date 2016 or 2017 - unable to read the stampings any longer.

Cheers,

208.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All leathers except black age to become brown 🤣

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
The Hathorn 8" Ranch packer (208MV, 55 last) primarily see outdoor conditions these days.

The other outdoor-only pair is the Hathorn 10" insulated Hunter in (silicone?) smooth red dog.

They definitely look like a darker red-brown, but still red dog.

Build date is 2017 on the Hunters.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should all just order brown leather 😄 The running joke is , don't look at your natural HH or else it will turn brown.

montanamike

Reaction score
At some point in the past there was some discussion about contrast thread and conditioner.

Here are my semi dress which are worn in rotation with my black pair of elk tans after 18 months and a half teaspoon of Saphir. I don't believe the khaki stitching was darkened much if any. @klank74 I believe has a similar pair.

Attachments

• semidressssaphir.jpg
    semidressssaphir.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 113

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At some point in the past there was some discussion about contrast thread and conditioner.

Here are my semi dress which are worn in rotation with my black pair of elk tans after 18 months and a half teaspoon of Saphir. I don't believe the khaki stitching was darkened much if any. @klank74 I believe has a similar pair.
Brown dress? Looks marvelous!
Where did you get the laces?

Please share some pics of black elk.
I have been thinking of adding some black boots.

montanamike

Reaction score

The laces are from REI as best I recall... they match the leather edges perfectly and I don't like the waxed laces included with the semidress. This pair is standard brown dress with brown elk tan kilties.

The black elk tans have been posted in the past... They have contrast white stitching. A search for black elk tan should turn up pics in short order.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding some black boots.
Same. I was thinking black ostrich. Even tho it’s pricey. My only issue was I don’t think bakers lets you put the leather on the entire boot. I think black ostrich/black Maryam HH would be a nice combo? Anything but black cxl. Also whites has some navy Maryam HH hides apparently. I’d like to buy a boot with that leather and all black everything else if possible.

klank74

Reaction score

Mine are the same but with toe caps. I’ve cleaned/conditioned mine about 3 times so far with VSC and haven’t noticed any discoloration of the khaki stitching either. Really my only issue I’ve had is that if I wear them in the rain, the brown dress seems to get water spots very easily. That’s the only reason I’ve cleaned them as much as I have.

montanamike

Reaction score
Mine are the same but with toe caps. I’ve cleaned/conditioned mine about 3 times so far with VSC and haven’t noticed any discoloration of the khaki stitching either. Really my only issue I’ve had is that if I wear them in the rain, the brown dress seems to get water spots very easily. That’s the only reason I’ve cleaned them as much as I have.
I have noticed that as well but my experience is a quick wipe and they are gone. Interestingly (to me) the black elk tan don't seem to have the water spots to the same degree. Maybe its just dumb luck. I will have another pair of brown elk tan in a month or two and it will be interesting to see if the water spots manifest themselves with the elk tan.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same. I was thinking black ostrich. Even tho it’s pricey. My only issue was I don’t think bakers lets you put the leather on the entire boot. I think black ostrich/black Maryam HH would be a nice combo? Anything but black cxl. Also whites has some navy Maryam HH hides apparently. I’d like to buy a boot with that leather and all black everything else if possible.
Yes, let's get some White's!

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My faith in White's has been restored with today's delivery. Ordered these back in January. These things are perfect - symmetrical with great stitching along the uppers and the welt, what more can you ask for. Brown & Black Dress leathers

White's - take all the extra time you need and keep up this build quality!

IMG_7129.jpg
IMG_7130.jpg
IMG_7131.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads