• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suiting Toronto

TOstyle

Reaction score
Not expecting miracles. But if it beats a Harrys Samuehlson mtm offering for 400 less I'll be very happy. The stuff he has on display is very nicely done.

It's an "anniversary sale" so the regular going rate may well be more. It's a very very small operation in an odd location, you have to factor that when comparing it to competitors leasing space in Yorkville or the conservative business dress.
That's a great find mate! I'd be interested in seeing what your experience was. I had stopped into his shop around April/ May of last year and wasn't impressed. He was in the back, and looked like he couldn't be bothered talking to me (which is fine), but even when I tried to make conversation and ask around, and stuck around for a bit and poked through books he was still very...well, just old man-like. I also asked to see some of his work, and they were really on the boxy side. So after about 45 minutes of trying, I thought he would be the stereotypical old immigrant tailor, who might be very skilled, but just always does things his way and doesn't take direction well, and probably is going to ignore what you asked for and you'll get into an argument about something and it won't ultimately end well.

But for that price point...shhheeeayah I'll take my chance.

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
I popped on by Spiros Tailor on the Danforth yesterday.

Bespoke suit $875 with his fabrics (all quite nice) or $1100 for higher end (Scabal, Zegna).

If you want a custom order from a fabric book (he has most major mills) you're up to about $1500.
What kind of stuff did he have in the house book? For that price point, I would be skeptical of the quality, but sounds like you got a good VBC - which is a score no doubt.

akoustas

Reaction score
I'd say all of the above is very true. It's definitely not an "experience". I've provided specific measurements for some items (trousers) and I'll let him do his thing with the jacket. Again, not expecting miracles but if I can get a good staple suit that fits nicely I'll be happy. I got the same impression and I wouldn't go there for anything too far out of the box.

joelscott7

Reaction score

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys have a recommendation for a tailor for custom shirts in toronto? I saw a couple places mentioned. I would be interested in getting my own fabrics and having them made.

Also, may not be too helpful, but The Bay does Samuelson and Coppley MTM and are a bit cheaper than Harry's. I came across this yesterday as well. http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2015/03/the_top_10_custom_made_to_measure_suits_in_toronto/

Blog TO. That link is a complete joke and offers no help to anyone. No mention of any detail about how it's made, where etc.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Darn! We didn't even make the top 10! :(

If you are getting your own fabric, you need to find a good local, independent maker. The only one who I can think of is Don at Trend Custom.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Yeah that BlogTO article is not very helpful - and is kind of the reason why I started this thread. There has to be other alternative out there, and there are.

One of the last places I would go to is The Bay for custom suiting. They couldn't give a sheet about it if they tried, and I never thought I would say this, but I would absolutely recommend Harry's over them. Spier seems like a good intro too your first custom suit, and though I haven't met him Rick seems like a good guy.

NickInTO

Reaction score
I'm going to be venturing into the world of Toronto MTM suiting in a few months for my wedding suit. In a perfect world, it'd be Eidos - but it doesn't seem like Gotstyle is doing anything like that and going to New York isn't really an option. That BlogTO article wasn't very helpful (not that I would expect BlogTO to have any expertise on the subject). So, it will be fun to meet with a few places to see what they have to offer.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm going to be venturing into the world of Toronto MTM suiting in a few months for my wedding suit. In a perfect world, it'd be Eidos - but it doesn't seem like Gotstyle is doing anything like that and going to New York isn't really an option. That BlogTO article wasn't very helpful (not that I would expect BlogTO to have any expertise on the subject). So, it will be fun to meet with a few places to see what they have to offer.

What are you looking for? We have done a few pieces very Eidos-esque. I have one Jacket in production right now actually.

akoustas

Reaction score
As an update, I never got a call back from Spiros (it's been 4 weeks?)

Didn't pay a deposit so I'm not going to chase him down.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the custom suiting market in Toronto is very saturated. Everyone and their dad is opening up shop

akoustas

Reaction score
I'd say the opposite. There are still very few quality options. Lots of bad options and carpetbaggers.

Doesn't Suitsupply also have their MTM up and running now?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say the opposite. There are still very few quality options. Lots of bad options and carpetbaggers.

Doesn't Suitsupply also have their MTM up and running now? 

This is what I mean't to say. Seems like a cash grab.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads