Custom Suiting Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TOstyle, May 8, 2014.

1. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

What? Those are watches, not suits..

2. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

That's a great find mate! I'd be interested in seeing what your experience was. I had stopped into his shop around April/ May of last year and wasn't impressed. He was in the back, and looked like he couldn't be bothered talking to me (which is fine), but even when I tried to make conversation and ask around, and stuck around for a bit and poked through books he was still very...well, just old man-like. I also asked to see some of his work, and they were really on the boxy side. So after about 45 minutes of trying, I thought he would be the stereotypical old immigrant tailor, who might be very skilled, but just always does things his way and doesn't take direction well, and probably is going to ignore what you asked for and you'll get into an argument about something and it won't ultimately end well.

But for that price point...shhheeeayah I'll take my chance.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

3. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

What kind of stuff did he have in the house book? For that price point, I would be skeptical of the quality, but sounds like you got a good VBC - which is a score no doubt.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I'd say all of the above is very true. It's definitely not an "experience". I've provided specific measurements for some items (trousers) and I'll let him do his thing with the jacket. Again, not expecting miracles but if I can get a good staple suit that fits nicely I'll be happy. I got the same impression and I wouldn't go there for anything too far out of the box.

5. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Blog TO. That link is a complete joke and offers no help to anyone. No mention of any detail about how it's made, where etc.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

7. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Darn! We didn't even make the top 10! :(

If you are getting your own fabric, you need to find a good local, independent maker. The only one who I can think of is Don at Trend Custom.

8. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Yeah that BlogTO article is not very helpful - and is kind of the reason why I started this thread. There has to be other alternative out there, and there are.

One of the last places I would go to is The Bay for custom suiting. They couldn't give a sheet about it if they tried, and I never thought I would say this, but I would absolutely recommend Harry's over them. Spier seems like a good intro too your first custom suit, and though I haven't met him Rick seems like a good guy.

9. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

I'm going to be venturing into the world of Toronto MTM suiting in a few months for my wedding suit. In a perfect world, it'd be Eidos - but it doesn't seem like Gotstyle is doing anything like that and going to New York isn't really an option. That BlogTO article wasn't very helpful (not that I would expect BlogTO to have any expertise on the subject). So, it will be fun to meet with a few places to see what they have to offer.

10. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

What are you looking for? We have done a few pieces very Eidos-esque. I have one Jacket in production right now actually.

11. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

I'll PM you.

12. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

As an update, I never got a call back from Spiros (it's been 4 weeks?)

Didn't pay a deposit so I'm not going to chase him down.

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

It seems that the custom suiting market in Toronto is very saturated. Everyone and their dad is opening up shop

14. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I'd say the opposite. There are still very few quality options. Lots of bad options and carpetbaggers.

Doesn't Suitsupply also have their MTM up and running now?

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

This is what I mean't to say. Seems like a cash grab.